Tennis Facility Upgrades

Saw in UNC Charlotte magazine yesterday that Dale Halton is donating $2.5 million dollars to update our tennis facilities. This includes court updates, locker rooms, seating for viewers, and office spaces.

The generous keep on giving huh.

Do the tennis team have their own locker rooms??? or use the locker rooms in Halton?

This is good to hear. For those that don’t know, womens collegiate tennis is one of the best spectator sports there is.

This is good to hear. For those that don't know, womens collegiate tennis is one of the best spectator sports there is.
Collegiate or High School?

[QUOTE=cibik02;311752]Collegiate or High School?[/QUOTE]

Either I guess. In HS I dated one of the top tennis players in the state. But collegiate tennis is occassionally televised on the depths of the ESPN network. :thumbsup:

Good news here. I would’ve gone to many more tennis matches during my time at Charlotte (I knew a few girls on the women’s team) had there been better places to actually sit and watch.

Thanks, Mrs. Halton!

My girlfriend will be estatic hearing this. She played 2 years for Charlotte and said that the tennis facilities were probably the worst of any sport on campus. Plus you couldn’t really come watch any matches because there is no seating

I thought it was going to be an indoor facility?

I thought it was going to be an indoor facility?

I remember hearing this as a goal of Judy’s as well. ???

Indoor Tennis was the plan…maybe they are holding off on that to give the football team an indoor practice facility. Two domes would cost too much.

I’ve thought for years the tennis courts didnt look near up to par. Glad to hear theres going to be some changes!

This is awesome! I hope they have strict rules for who they allow on the courts.

I’m an avid tennis player and played all the time during my time at UNC Charlotte. I utilized the courts all the time and I hate people who did not have court shoes or shoes that have non marking out soles. You’re pretty much fu(king up the court. Also killer was people skating broading and playing soccer on the courts, they needed to get slapped.

If you play, play with the right equipment and don’t ruin it for others who use it correctly for their recreation.

(The same could be said about basketball courts.)

I am glad we are not dropping millions into an indoor facility.

The indoor facility was shot down since it was going to be another 10 million to build it on top of what Dale Halton was giving. They voted just to upgrade, which means totally moving and building new courts.

Also the tennis teams dont really have locker rooms. They carry there stuff with them and most just kinda treat the broken down building right beside the courts as their locker rooms. Its a facilties building with bathrooms.

Are they going to install lights?

Saw in UNC Charlotte magazine yesterday that Dale Halton is donating $2.5 million dollars to update our tennis facilities. This includes court updates, locker rooms, seating for viewers, and office spaces.
no offense to tennis...but I hope this is not her way of protesting football. I think 99% of Niner fans would rather her cough that up to the initial football fund. Just my .02
no offense to tennis...but I hope this is not her way of protesting football. I think 99% of Niner fans would rather her cough that up to the initial football fund. Just my .02

I don’t think one has anything do with another. With the amount of money she has given to this athletic dept., I don’t think you can ever accuse her of protesting anything for sports. Tennis is a varsity sport which we sponsor now. When the time comes, she’ll probably be generous to football down the road. Halton Stadium here I come.

I don't think one has anything do with another. With the amount of money she has given to this athletic dept., I don't think you can ever accuse her of protesting anything for sports. Tennis is a varsity sport which we sponsor now. When the time comes, she'll probably be generous to football down the road. Halton Stadium here I come.
she has protested alot of things :happy:

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;311832]I don’t think one has anything do with another. With the amount of money she has given to this athletic dept., I don’t think you can ever accuse her of protesting anything for sports. Tennis is a varsity sport which we sponsor now. When the time comes, she’ll probably be generous to football down the road. Halton Stadium here I come.[/QUOTE]

Time will tell.

I hope you are right. But as far as I’m concerned, the proof will be when she gets the opportunity to pony up somethin’ to support football.

It doesn’t even have to be stadium naming rights. I will be disappointed if I learn she has the cash to lay out for Arena naming rights and another 2.5 mil for tennis, but is invisible on the football front.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;311838]Time will tell.

I hope you are right. But as far as I’m concerned, the proof will be when she gets the opportunity to pony up somethin’ to support football.

It doesn’t even have to be stadium naming rights. I will be disappointed if I learn she has the cash to lay out for Arena naming rights and another 2.5 mil for tennis, but is invisible on the football front.[/QUOTE]

I hope she has intentions of supporting football, but even if she doesn’t donate a dime more, we should be grateful. She’s done a lot for our athletics department. Just keep that in mind.