terrell vinson

i saw that he has us listed as a school of interest on scout. 6’7" 205lbs. he is a top 100 player who was signed with loyola marymount and then asked for his release. he is a combo forward but would most likely play the small forward in college. i know we are loaded in the front court for next year but i would still love to get him.

i saw that he has us listed as a school of interest on scout. 6'7" 205lbs. he is a top 100 player who was signed with loyola marymount and then asked for his release. he is a combo forward but would most likely play the small forward in college. i know we are loaded in the front court for next year but i would still love to get him.

I would love to get him too, but if we don’t get another point guard, we’re just ****ing ourselves. Just my opinion.

I would love to get him too, but if we don't get another point guard, we're just ****ing ourselves. Just my opinion.
Not just your opinion. We're setting the team up to struggle when Harris departs, unless Bowden can transition to being a starter-level point guard (except he also will be our savior shooting threes, right?). The alternative is starting a true freshman at point in 2011. The handling of the point guard recruiting has been very disappointing, even given Gerrity's lousing.

i agree that we need a point guard, but what if we are by some chance in the position to land this guy or to land a juco point like raymond sims, who i believe we are/were recruiting? would you rather have a top 100 forward or a guy ranked as the 40th. best juco? i could see taking calliste over vinson(although im not sure i would agree) since he is highly ranked but sometimes it can be dangerous recruiting for needs rather than the best players you can get.

i agree that we need a point guard, but what if we are by some chance in the position to land this guy or to land a juco point like raymond sims, who i believe we are/were recruiting? would you rather have a top 100 forward or a guy ranked as the 40th. best juco? i could see taking calliste over vinson(although im not sure i would agree) since he is highly ranked but sometimes it can be dangerous recruiting for needs rather than the best players you can get.
I think it depends on just how big the need is. Top players at other positions will look terrible without a serviceable point guard to get the ball up the court and set up the offense. This may depend on how you feel about Bowden transitioning to point as a sophomore until a true freshman signed next year could take over. This is a big risk imo.

even if the need is big, adding a mediocre or bad point guard will not help harris much. i would love to land a point guard but if a good one isnt available and we can land vinson, i say we should take our chances with bowden as backup.

[B]Our last scholarship for 09 is going to a pg.[/B] That’s not just my opinion, it’s a fact. All of these threads about 09 wing and poster players are fine and interesting to read, but none of those guys will be Niners (unless they reclass to '10).

even if the need is big, adding a mediocre or bad point guard will not help harris much. i would love to land a point guard but if a good one isnt available and we can land vinson, i say we should take our chances with bowden as backup.
Harris is a senior next year. I'm talking about the year after that, when either Bowden or someone new will be the starter.

i understand that. that should put us a good position to land a top notch point guard. tell him he can come in and start immediately.

BaltimoreSun.com: Boys Athlete of the Week // Terrell Vinson, St. Frances, basketball

ESPN.com: Terrell Vinson | Small Forward

NBEBasketball.com: Terrell Vinson

Rivals.com: Terrell Vinson profile

Scout.com: Terrell Vinson profile

getting a guy like this would be a good wake up call to wilderness and dewhurst that they better improve their jumpers or they(specifically wilderness) wont start.

getting a guy like this may just lead us to the same problem we had at the beginning of the year, Bowden gets hurt and Gerrity walks away like nothing happens to go play somewhere else.

To be honest though, when the two (Dew and Wilderness) are healthy they make considerable contributions to the team. Dewhurst was getting his stride before the Maryland game and if Wilderness can get over the foot injury we may have a solid forward. I don’t see Lutz going after another forward without addressing the guard positions.

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;383919]getting a guy like this may just lead us to the same problem we had at the beginning of the year, Bowden gets hurt and Gerrity walks away like nothing happens to go play somewhere else.

To be honest though, when the two (Dew and Wilderness) are healthy they make considerable contributions to the team. Dewhurst was getting his stride before the Maryland game and if Wilderness can get over the foot injury we may have a solid forward. I don’t see Lutz going after another forward without addressing the guard positions.[/QUOTE]

how would getting a guy like contribute to problems like last year. landing this guy wont get anyone hurt and i doubt wilderness or dewhurst would transfer over this.

how would getting a guy like contribute to problems like last year. landing this guy wont get anyone hurt and i doubt wilderness or dewhurst would transfer over this.

It’s just a theory, the what-if that is always out there that Dew or Wilderness could feel that they won’t see the minutes and leave. I believe this scenario wouldn’t actually happen two years in a row (I didn’t even think we would fall off like we have this year). After all in my second paragraph I made the statement that I don’t feel Lutz would go after someone like Vinson without addressing the guard situation first.

what if we cant land one of the guards that we want. i would rather land a quality big man then go after a third string juco.

You guys are forgetting one major detail. Scholarships are renewable on an annual basis. So if we find two or three more good players they like, I am sure they will be brought in. No question about it, coming off a season we are having.

what if we cant land one of the guards that we want. i would rather land a quality big man then go after a third string juco.

At worst, there will be some JUCO pg that can contribute a few minutes to give Harris a blow. Even someone like Carlos Williams would be a big help this year to come off the bench and play 10 min a game.

Terrell Vinson fellas would be just as big of a signing as Rodney White. The kid is that good.
I think everyone can figure out why he would sign with Loyola, the kid could play at any school in America.
He would be a HUGE get to go along with CB, KJ, and with Spears playing next year.
WOW… I was shocked when I opened this thread.

glad someone backed me up. i dont know how seriously we are recruiting him or how interested he is in us but we can always hope.

Agreed

Get the best players you can. Imagine a starting lineup in 2 years of:

Point Guard
Shamarr Bowden
Terrel Vinson
KJ Sherill
Chris Braswell

Oh my!!!