The beer (snobs) thread

clt endorses OMB meckoberfest.

Drops mic.

Anybody ever had Imperial Kashmir IPA? -> http://highlandbrewing.paleosun.com/craft-brews/style/imperial-kashmir-ipa

The regular ole Kashmir IPA is what got me hooked on hops back in the day and have been dying to try this one. This brewery is located in Asheville… they have a great craft brew scene up there.

…reminds me of the beer garden and ‘goggles walker’ @ UNCA circa 2007

201 Central in Weddington has bombers of Olde Meck’s Bauern Bock. 7.99 each but they are damn good beers

Just gotta pimp these in here as two I’m proud of:

Kolsch style hybrid ale with local honey, died Niner Green for the Campbell Game:

Just tapped this week - sweet (milk) stout with cocoa nibs.

They sell Hangar beers there? I hang out there every once in a while…the brewery is about 5 miles form my house.

Their Alt is probably my favorite they make. I’m sure they don’t all make it back east, but they do make a decent lineup.

Everyone out here salivates over their Orange Wheat, but I think it is gross.

[font=times new roman][size=medium]My snobbiest beer experiences are as follows…[/size][/font]

[font=times new roman][size=medium]#2. Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA. This place is like Asheville’s Thirsty Monk on steroids. I had the bartender bring me the special cellar menu so I could drink rare vintaged ales from Belgium.[/size][/font]

[font=times new roman][size=medium]#1. Zillie’s Pantry in Ocracoke, NC with one Mr. ChiSox17. I blurted out, “I can’t remember the last time I only spent $32 on a six-pack!” He immediately and rightly admonished me.[/size][/font]

[font=times new roman][size=medium]I like to drink with the seasons. Pumpkins and marzens were the fare recently, now I’m into porters and spiced ales. I like to go to beer shops and try things I’ve never heard of and the craziest flavor combinations. Doing this for a few years, I feel I’ve learned a lot about beer this way. If someone is looking to get into craft beer, I suggest taking risks and don’t be afraid to buy one special, expensive bottle every now and then. Also, the people that run shops like Brawley’s, Salud, Lil’ Robert’s, Good Bottle Co., etc. are passionate and love to just talk about it.[/size][/font]

[font=times new roman][size=medium]Ranking of local breweries I’ve visited or tasted…[/size][/font]

[font=times new roman][size=medium]1. Ass Clown in Cornelius. Go to the tap room. Lots of taps, some are nitrogen, which give heads like Guiness. Lots of sour ales (not my fave but [/size][/font][font=times new roman]t[/font][font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]hey get really creative). These guys are true beer geeks, there is no one in the area that takes the risks these guys do.[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]2. NoDa. Sometimes everything they offer is very hoppy, but they have a good variety and execute well.[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]3. Olde Mecklenburg. I love this place for being the first real craft brewer in Charlotte. German Reinheitsgebot laws are followed, which means no crazy fruit ales or bourbon infused craziness. There simple stuff is done very well. I’m not as big of a fan as I used to be. I’m not sure if my tastes have changed, or if they’ve become a little less rad.[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]4. Birdsong. Very good. Similar approach as NoDa[/size][size=medium][/font].
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]5. TripleC. Good stuff, solid. Nothing mind-blowing.[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]6. Carolina Brewery in Mooresville. Cottonwood stuff. Easy-to-drink, pretty good.[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]I’m not ranking Hops or Rock Bottom. They are chain restaurants with a microbrewery. Awesome thing to have in 1997.[/size][size=medium][/font]

[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]Here’s some other locals I have yet to discover[/size][size=medium][/font]

[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]-District Nine (Cornelius): I know nothing of these guys[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]-Four Friends: I’ve only heard bad reviews from other beer guys. However, a local contest winner who came up with Foothill’s Battle Cry Rye is supposedly going to be coming up with new recipes to improve this place.[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]-Free Range: Haven’t had, but have heard good things. No home for this place but rumors of a Plaza-Midwood location in the future.[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]-Heist-From what I’ve heard, tasty food, lousy beer, and unfriendly staff. [/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]-Lake Norman (Mooresville)- Anybody tried this brewery?[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]-Magnolia- Supposedly coming to Southend soon.[/size][size=medium][/font]
[font=times new roman][/size][size=medium]-Unknown-- New place on Mint St.[/size][size=medium][/font]

clt endorses OMB

If anyone lives in the Clemmons/Lewisville/Advance area, there’s a new craft beer and wine shop that just opened in Clemmons. It’s in the Lowes Foods shopping center beside East Coast Wings.

[quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:48, topic:28231”]If anyone lives in the Clemmons/Lewisville/Advance area, there’s a new craft beer and wine shop that just opened in Clemmons. It’s in the Lowes Foods shopping center beside East Coast Wings.[/quote]I live in Advance, need to visit that shop and the new ECW.

Terrapin Moo Hoo Stout. Amazing.

Corona, Coors Light, Mich Ultra, beeches!

Do you smoke Virginia Slims?

Time to get on the nano and tenant brewer bandwagon.

Thread resurrection

I finally tried Stones Double Bastard. Had a few for dinner and although its a damn good beer, it may have cause me to hallucinate at some point. Lots of stuff going on with that one.

a few more i’ve had in rotation recently…

*Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
*OMB’s Fruh Bock- Harris Teeter has this now out my way and its probably my go to beer at the moment. They finally switched to traditional six packs as opposed to those goofy bombers.
*Newcastles Bombshell is actually pretty tasty imo. Its light on alcohol so you can drink about a million of them but i’ve enjoyed it. I liked their Cabbie Black Ale they had over the winter too.

• I keep picking up random 6 packs of Natty Greenes thinking i must just be missing something but i’m not a fan. Just seems like boring beer to me for the most part, especially considering the hype I hear about them from so many.

Agreed. I’ve tried several and am disappointed every time.

FYI, for anyone who hasn’t been out there, the Whitewater Center has River Jam every Thursday and Saturday through September with pretty good live music usually. They have a wide variety of local and national microbrews, with 24 ounce big boys going for between roughly $6.50-8.00 which is a phenomenal price for a festival type atmosphere.

I get to pimp it because I live 2 mins away, so I’m out there a lot. If anyone gets too inebriated, or wants to check out the Ninercentral Castle, we can arrange that as well.

[quote=“casstommy, post:54, topic:28231”]Thread resurrection

• I keep picking up random 6 packs of Natty Greenes thinking i must just be missing something but i’m not a fan. Just seems like boring beer to me for the most part, especially considering the hype I hear about them from so many.[/quote]Natty’s is much better at the bar, I’ve always had a good time there. Plus, they have a better selection of beers than you can get in the store.

Only common one that I consistently like is Buckshot, the other beers are just decent. Foothills is vastly superior when it comes to brewing.

[quote=“J Felt, post:56, topic:28231”][quote=“casstommy, post:54, topic:28231”]Thread resurrection

• I keep picking up random 6 packs of Natty Greenes thinking i must just be missing something but i’m not a fan. Just seems like boring beer to me for the most part, especially considering the hype I hear about them from so many.[/quote]Natty’s is much better at the bar, I’ve always had a good time there. Plus, they have a better selection of beers than you can get in the store.

Only common one that I consistently like is Buckshot, the other beers are just decent. Foothills is vastly superior when it comes to brewing.[/quote]

Always found Foothills pretty underwhelming (though their bourbon barrel isn’t bad), even at the brewery. I rotate through a lot of stuff and have been doing some newer stuff lately. My favorite from this season is an old favorite, though: Cafe Royale by Williamsburg Alewerks. You can also throw in Blue Mountain’s Dark Hollow as another one I’m a big fan of, lately.

I’m on it but I don’t keep up with it other than it listing what I’ve drank. I also am poor at rating everything, unless something sucks. I just rate my beers within context.

[quote=“NewNiner, post:57, topic:28231”][quote=“J Felt, post:56, topic:28231”][quote=“casstommy, post:54, topic:28231”]Thread resurrection

Only common one that I consistently like is Buckshot, the other beers are just decent. Foothills is vastly superior when it comes to brewing.[/quote]

Always found Foothills pretty underwhelming (though their bourbon barrel isn’t bad), even at the brewery. I rotate through a lot of stuff and have been doing some newer stuff lately. My favorite from this season is an old favorite, though: Cafe Royale by Williamsburg Alewerks. You can also throw in Blue Mountain’s Dark Hollow as another one I’m a big fan of, lately.[/quote]

I live in Winston and I’m not a big fan of Foothills. Though, I dont care for IPAs but their Seeing Double IPA is pretty tasty.

Hoppyum is one of my favorites, and I typically don’t like hoppy beers.

Of course, their Sexual Chocolate is fantastic. Not sure it’s worth as much hype as it gets, but it is a great beer.