The Day has Finally Come

Don’t know how many of you my get by there during the day, but I drove by this morning and Herlocker’s is finally being torn down. Truly an end to a fine legacy! Please observe a moment of silence…

With all due respect to my hometown What-A-Burger… they might have had the best all-the-way burgers on the planet.

RIP Herlockers.

We’re all gonna miss that place.

Very sad… drove past it this weekend.

Guess it will be replaced with a Jack in the Box or Wendy’s… no character, already have them every 1/2 mile, etc.

Someone please get me a brick from Herlockers (but I’d have loved a stool!).

Before I-85 was opened (early 60s)… Herlockers was the place my mother would stop for us on the way to my grandparents’ home in Greenville. I’d get a bathroom break and the old black man would come out to the car and take our order.

As a student… man, it was a once a week meal there at least!

As an alum… I stopped there to eat whenever I could. My two sons loved getting their onion rings. If we went to Carowinds or some other spot in Charlotte, we had to make a special effort to go there.

Herlockers greatly contributed to the blocked arteries causing my two heart attacks.

[SIZE=4][B]It was damn well worth each and every bite![/B][/SIZE]

O sweet Herlocker you now head to the place where my beloved Tasty Platter rests in peace. I will miss you dearly.

Very sad... drove past it this weekend.

Guess it will be replaced with a Jack in the Box or Wendy’s… no character, already have them every 1/2 mile, etc.

it think its going to be replaced by a cookout.

this is the little restaurant next to stool pigeons before you get to Mallard Creek if you’re going north on 29? Looks like Sonic’s Grandpa?

I too have heard this.

[QUOTE=mineshaft;239398]O sweet Herlocker you now head to the place where my beloved Tasty Platter rests in peace. I will miss you dearly.[/QUOTE]

Tasty Platter moved to Cornelius 2 or 3 years ago and now goes by the name “Cook House”. Same owners, same food.

I sure hope the Herlockers decide to open up again down the road. There’s nothing like good, hole in the wall, greasy diners.

nm

I’ve driven by this place a lot…never went there…I’m sure it was amazing but…as much as I hate to say this because I’m sure that restaurant was great…Cook Out is absolutely amazing. Cook Out tray is by far the best deal in town as far as fast food goes. 3.99 is awesome with 2 sides and your main burger/sandwich/dog or whatever you choose to get along with a drink…add a milkshake for 80 cents…it’s already making me drool…how could they do that to a poor college student? I know I’ll be there a lot more than I should…Jack in the Box is where I do my late night runs now and although their food selection and taste is one of the best…their prices are wayyyy more than a 3.99 combo. BTW. If you haven’t tried a cookout tray, you should. And in order to not hate on JintheB, if you haven’t tried an ultimate cheeseburger…best fast food burger around. Sorry for my rant.

[B]RIP[/B]

I took my wife-to-be to Herlockers on our first date (after tennis at the old courts). Told her that I owned half-interest in the place and that was all it took!
It was certainly the first “institution” of old UNC-C.

Woot, that lines never worked for me!

I usually use,

“Hey, I am in town for that E-M retreat. You know, the Exxon Mobile executive members retreat?”

[QUOTE=Gill2003;239419]Woot, that lines never worked for me!

I usually use,

“Hey, I am in town for that E-M retreat. You know, the Exxon Mobile executive members retreat?”[/QUOTE]
does it work?

yeah always…[SIZE=1] well maybe not always…[/SIZE]

Herlocker’s was definitely a great place. It was a staple when I was in school.

RIP

Why did it close?

I LOVE Cookout.