The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

Engadget: Kiaā€™s PHEV Sportage SUV is coming to America.

This thing is gonna sell like the RAV4 Prime. Good luck getting one. Itā€™s a good sized reasonably priced, fairly decent quality family SUV that can do most daily driving on battery power alone.

Thats the kinda thing i can make the wife drive for sure.

Itā€™s well over 200 HP and it doesnā€™t look that bad. Not much compromise there.

These are the same specs as the powertrain in the larger Sorento PHEV, so we suspect the combined output is the same: 261 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Thatā€™s a little more than 30 horsepower over the regular Sportage hybrid.

10 posts were split to a new topic: Classic / ICE cars

All sounds I hate hearing when Iā€™m out in public, or even just driving by where I live. I welcome the silent revolution with open arms.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because you arenā€™t a gear head or someone that enjoys driving. I love hearing a vehicle go by and knowing it was an 8 or a turbo 6 or a 4 banger. Hearing a Ducati go by is like a symphony. The sheer mechanical nature of vehicles is just amazing or it was.

I actually enjoy driving pretty well as long as itā€™s not in traffic. Just despise hearing obnoxiously loud vehicles. If every Harley crashed into a bridge the world would be a better place.

Here is an interesting tidbit. A harley is not any louder than any other vehicle. Assholes putting straight pipes on cars and bikes are assholes though and that comes in every make and model. A stock harley is not loud. To be great sounds doesnā€™t mean it has to be loud sounds.

The absence of the mechanical nature in an ICE robs the driver of the visceral experience of driving and limits it to just point and go. I felt that way about automatics and even more so with EVs.

ā€œItā€™s not a massive energy output - only enough to boil about 60 kettlesā€™ worth of waterā€œ wamp wamp wamp

Drove the ioniq 5 today and found it impressive. Interior a little more barebones than Iā€™d like, but not too bad.

Faster charging than Tesla, taking roughly 20 minutes to hit 80% and 48 minutes from 0-100 as long as youā€™re on a level 3 charger.

Was disappointed that the batteries are under the hood rather than in the floor. Under the hood looks like an ICE. Can tell Hyundai is trying to appeal to car traditionalists with the design

How did it drive?

Very nicely imo. Didnā€™t try sport mode because I didnā€™t discover it until near the end of the test drive. Normal mode has solid acceleration.

Itā€™s so quiet inside. Hyundai apparently put an emphasis on sound dampening so itā€™s very easy to speed and not realize it.

Iā€™m a fan.

1 Like

Installed an minn Kota terrova riptide and 2 group 31 batteries in/on my boat. Kicked my ass, but I am officially electric now

ā€œSure, this invention will never provide the same vibrations, responses, and feelings that a true manual would, but itā€™s better than nothing.ā€

Sums up my feelings.

IGN: The DeLorean Is Officially Back, And Itā€™s Electric - IGN.

1 Like

Ive been saying for years now that the Delorean needs to be revived as an EV. So glad itā€™s finally happening. I would love one, but I imagine they will be quite pricey.