The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

ā€œSure, this invention will never provide the same vibrations, responses, and feelings that a true manual would, but itā€™s better than nothing.ā€

Sums up my feelings.

IGN: The DeLorean Is Officially Back, And Itā€™s Electric - IGN.

1 Like

Ive been saying for years now that the Delorean needs to be revived as an EV. So glad itā€™s finally happening. I would love one, but I imagine they will be quite pricey.

The fact that they are only getting 329 miles of range out of a whopping 212 kWh battery is absolutely embarrassing. A Model X has half that battery and goes just as far. The legacy companies are utterly incompetent when it comes to battery tech and software. As Iā€™ve been trying to explain to people for years who shout ā€œThe competition is coming for Tesla!ā€, the competition has no idea what they are doing. People mistakenly think that any old car company can just slap a battery and a couple electric motors in an ICE body, and call it a day. There is soooo much more to it than that, and itā€™s highly complex. Aside from Tesla, Iā€™m not sure who the dominant EV companies will be in 5+ years, but Iā€™m getting the feeling it will be either pure-EV companies like Rivian, or the few legacy companies who are actually putting massive R&D dollars into getting it right, like VW. In fact VW is the only legacy OEM that I can think of that is actually giving it an honest effort.

1 Like

Hyundais ioniq gets 303 miles of range in 77.4kw. Car and driver reviewer said he got 330ish miles in city driving. Hyundai nailed just about everything about that car. Itā€™s not as fast as a Tesla with a 0-60 around 5.1 seconds but thatā€™s still pretty speedy.

Itā€™s probably the closest competition Tesla has had so far.

Itā€™s only real draw back is that it canā€™t use the super charger network. It can charge faster than a Tesla on an electrify america fast charger but those are less plentiful than super chargers by a lot.

Toyota has to commit to SSBā€™s. Their management is still divided on the issue. That is the game changer for the industry. Itā€™s the hardware answer to what Tesla has been able to achieve.

The flip side is that Tesla still doesnā€™t come close to build quality of any of the big boys.

I wish they would lease out their battery tech and software to someone like Mazda or Toyota and let them build the vehicle. Iā€™d rush to the dealership to buy that.

That said, Mazda is supposed to be releasing PHEV straight six RWD SUVs later this year on their new ā€œlarge vehicle platformā€. All over 300 hp with probably 35+ miles of EV range. That could be special.

Oh yeah canā€™t believe I didnā€™t mention Hyundai. They are doing a great job.

The Kia EV6 is not too bad either. Same platform as the Hyundai.

1 Like

:drooling_face:

2 Likes

I was going to test drive one but the only one I saw had a $10,000 market adjustment on it, so that made it a hard no.

Probably going to buy the ioniq 5 this week.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Classic / ICE cars

I love the look of that.

But I am still frustrated that these vehicles arenā€™t really available, and certainly arenā€™t price competitive yet. Not even close. Even with the overheated market on ICE cars inflating their prices (here is your telluride with a 20k markup).

NAILS IT

2 Likes

Ended up buying the ioniq and it Is a really fun car to drive. Couldnā€™t disagree with nwa more about it being a soulless driving experience

1 Like

Man how in the hell did you get one? I was told it would be a 12 month wait.

Congrats!

No motor sound no shifting no exhaust note = soulless. It might be nice and a great experience but I have yet to drive an ev that conjured up any attachment. Tesla, BMW Honda - all felt like I was riding in a appliance vs a connection to the vehicle and road. You canā€™t replicate the feeling of a v8 whirling or the turbo sucking in air. Glad you like it, itā€™s your car. ill avoid them as I can. A computer doing the driving for me isnā€™t what I want.

The car he got isnā€™t self driving.

No but EVs take care of a lot of the driving for the driver and most are just a software update from self driving. Hell most modern ICEs do a lot of the driving for you too. I hate automatics, I donā€™t really like SUVs. I canā€™t wait To get the wife one. But Iā€™ll probably go to my grave hating driving them. Thatā€™s just me though. Rest of the world can embrace them all they want. Iā€™ll just drive a 50 year old car when Iā€™m 90 :grin: