The EV news thread 🔌

It’ll do 80% if the driving for me if I want. Typing this as the car steers for me now. It’s not as advanced as Tesla, but on relatively straight roads I don’t have to do anything. It doesn’t handle tight curves well and makes me steer.

I ask this genuinely, why the hell are you in this thread? Seriously. Half your posts read like you’re having a stroke, and the other half read like a grumpy old man screaming that the automobile is a fad, the horse buggy is here to stay. I get it, you don’t like EVs. Thats fine. I don’t like ICE cars, but I’m not hanging out in the ICE car thread going off about how shitty your crappy gas car is. To each his own, we all like different things. But maybe instead of clogging this thread with your posts that make you look like a dementia riddled old crank, go have a drink and yell at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn or whatever is you do for fun, assuming you know what fun is. Jesus.

2 Likes

Fort mill Hyundai had two :man_shrugging:. They got five in and three were presold.

Greensboro also had one when I checked.

1 Like

Nice. What color did you get? I haven’t found one that really looks great to me. They’re all kinda meh online. Maybe better in person?

Cyber gray

Looks whiter there than it actually is.

It seems to get a lot of looks when I drive around.

2 Likes

It looks fantastic man. If it were a little bigger in the back I’d buy one in a heartbeat. It has everything else I need. But not great for hauling around my dog and all the family’s crap for vacation.

I like it so far. Ready for my house to be done so I can charge at home. Fortunately have this charger at my complex for a reasonable price, but it’s still more than home charging would cost.

It comes with 2 years of free fast charging in the electrify america system though.

1 Like

The trunk is only 27.2 cf. Plenty for a lot of people, but I really need 40-45 cf in the back. I’m drooling anyway. And I can get a level 2 charger installed at home for a reasonable price. Already looked into it.

The GT version when it comes out will be a riot too, if a tad pricey. Will be funny watching it smoke damn near everything else from a stoplight.

Yeah this is probably a 1 kid max car. It’s super roomy inside and it’s wheel base is as big as the palisade, but still only five seats.

I don’t think the instant throttle response will ever get old. Feels like the launch coasters, even with its relatively slow acceleration compared to a Tesla.

The cure for F.U.D. is truth:

Today was my first day of significant driving in both highway and in the city.

Todays average was about 4.5 miles per kilowatt hour, which puts range at 348 miles across a full charge.

Helps that it was nice out today so I only had to run the heat for 20 minutes while on my way to the office. I’ve noticed heat being on can take 10-30ish miles of range off depending on how warm you set it relative to outdoor temp.

The more advanced models have a heat pump but I have an SE which still uses resistance heat.

1 Like

I test drove a Kia EV6 today, which is your car’s cousin.

Almost everything about it, but especially the acceleration, and the interior styling and materials, which I greatly prefer to the more spartan Ioniq (sorry man, not picking on you, but wow the interior is so much nicer than I expected - pictures don’t do it justice - you feel like you’re in a high end luxury car or an exotic). It’s quiet, roomy, comfortable, and plush. I am in love with it.

And the infotainment and gauges were standard upper end Kia/Hyundai/Genesis, which is one of the best setups in the industry. The stereo / speakers were solid. Think they were either HK or Bose? I forget. I was too busy giggling when I punched the accelerator.

MEH:

Exterior styling. It’s a little funky. For the most part it’s fine, even attractive, but there are some design lines on the back quarter panels that I think are a bit much.

Dislikes:

The raked rear window / roof really cuts down on cargo capacity. Too much for it to be an option for me. If you can drive it as a two seater most of the time it has plenty of room.

The fucking ridiculous markup…the GD dealer told me the $10,995 market adjustment was “the best / cheapest in NC or SC”. Thats on top of the already high MSRP. I wanted to punch the GM… He was such a smug douche. No way would I buy from someone like that.

Conclusion:

If these things ever start selling for MSRP, I may buy Mrs NA a big SUV and get an EV6 for myself. It’s such a badass car. Loved loved loved driving it. This is the future for sure. To the point where I no longer believe ICE junkies until they actually drive one. I can’t put it to words, but it’s just fantastic to drive.

And no more gas station / oil changes / tuneups / etc. You just plug it in at night like your phone.

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

One other thing - it’s much bigger than the pictures and styling make it look. The passenger area of the car is easily mid size SUV equivalent. It’s really roomy. Possibly also at the expense of the trunk, which is kinda puny - I’m guessing like 20 cf?

Yeah the ev6 has a nice interior. Looks less roomy than the ioniq’s but more stylish. Both cars are eye catchers on the outside. It gets a lot of looks.

I went to look at the ev6 but left as soon as I saw the $10,000 market adjustment on the sticker (this was at planet Kia on independence). I didn’t bother driving it because I knew I wasn’t going to pay $58,000 for it.

Mine was $64,000!!!

Peace Out Goodbye GIF by Mega 64