The EV news thread 🔌

To me it’s like gas vs electric power equipment. I’d still prefer the latter in most situations.

Part of the motorcycle culture is customization. On one side electric makes that easier with some things on the other side showing of the motor and exhaust was a primary customization avenue. Going to be interesting to see where this goes with a hobby that is almost entirely just for fun. Exhaust notes for a triple, vs a v twn, vs a 4 cylinder or ducati’s dry clutch is so ingrained. Probably gonna end up being traditional motorcycle gear heads vs software nerds.

NC isn’t taxing EVs now? In VA, when a person renews their registration the fee is higher for EVs.

Watched your VW video. Not the first time I have seen something about that car and thought “I think the major manufacturers who took EVs seriously are already passing Tesla”

Given the price point of the ID4 and the more respectable build quality (yeah VW, but still), I think it’s more desirable than the model 3 / model Y, Elon’s recent antics aside. The lone thing Tesla has going for it, from my perspective, is that supercharger network. But I think most people overestimate how much they will use it. Unless you are a road warrior, most people will be charging from home, nightly.

Lol. May as well ditch your iPhone for a blackberry while you’re at it. I get it. Elon can be a dick. I don’t fault someone for hating him. But Teslas are objectively light years ahead of the competition. I’ve driven a model 3 and several model Y’s, and I own two non Tesla EVs, the difference is night and day. But it’s a free country and I love that we can all vote with our dollars.

You really prefer a 3 / Y to your Vdub?

I’m not bashing the Teslas (well maybe a little about build quality)… Rather I think the competition product is pretty darn good.

Omg yes, and it’s not even close. And I love the Id4! I really do. The Id4 is a great car and an excellent value for the price (which is why we have one. $46k vs $61k+), but as for a side by side “which would you rather have?” comparison, the Y blows it away on literally every metric. The biggest difference is software. Tesla has by far the best software engineers, and it shows. In addition to that, there’s the Tesla supercharger network as opposed to having to find a stupid EA or evgo station fifteen minutes off the highway. Superior performance, autopilot, oh and the app! The Tesla app is amazing. Being able to control the ac and remotely cool down your car from your barstool before you head out is so nice. Plus the infinite other things it can do. And the over the air updates, infotainment goodies, giant frunk… man I could go on all day. It really is a shame that Elon is destroying his and by extension Teslas reputation, because it truly is one of the greatest consumer products ever created.

You can do this with your i3 though right?

Nope. Our i3 is a 2014 and I think maybe they introduced this feature a few years later. I know you said you have a buddy who has an i3. Can his do that?

It can - I know he did some software updates on it. I’ll ask him for ya.

I thought the ID4 could do that. Same with the Hyundai / Kia products

Also, software isn’t that important to me beyond basic functions. All I really need is Android auto. My car has an app that I can run from my phone that does most of the stuff you mentioned - keyless entry, remote start, etc. And software can be updated. It’s more about hardware and is that hardware powerful enough to make upgrades?

As the chips in these cars start moving to closer equivalency to our snapdragon Android and apple processor capacity, which is already happening, that answer is yes.

I can turn on my heat or air from my phon. I can also schedule it to turn on every morning if I want…and the Hyundai app is notoriously bad.

If I want to update the car I have to do it from a flash drive lol. OTA updates are supposed to come in the future but for now have to do it the old way.

Y’all are speaking a foreign language to me. Lol

clt says buy RIVN,

2 Likes

Part 3 of our ID4 NJ → NC → NJ road trip is up. See a dozen or so posts up for Part 1.

That is a bargain for an EV.