The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

The lightning will be a game changer for the industry I think.

I put two on reserve for my business.

Gas prices arenā€™t coming back down any significant amount in the future, so Iā€™m future proofing myself. I spend like $3000/mo on gas for my work vehicles now.

The monthly payments + electricity would be less than that.

2 Likes

That truck is a license to print money for Ford so long as they can keep production levels up with supply and labor issues in the industry.

I honestly believe they almost cannot overbuild them. Itā€™s an absolute no brainer for the majority of the people who buy those trucks - what they actually use them for. Heavy vusers are buying stuff like an F250 Dually. The sales they are cannibalizing are gonna be the managers / GCs driving F150s and their competitors out to job sites, and light production employee use, which they are perfect for.

We will be twining around 2000 pounds of equipment. Even if that cuts range in half, that is plenty for 90% of our projects. We will keep the work vans around for anything that exceeds the daily range of the truck.

They have the built in benefit of having 240v plugs so we can run our machines off the trucks battery too without needing generators.

1 Like

One concern I have is how to get a charging station put in my garage. Would have a 240 option which currently donā€™t have.

Is your breaker box in your garage? If so, an electrician can do it pretty cheaply. If itā€™s not, then it can be pretty expensive if they have to run wire a long distance.

If your garage is adjacent to a laundry room, you can get a splitter box for your 240v outlet, but wouldnā€™t be able to charge and run dryer at the same time.

It would cost me a lot. Garage is way away from the panel. They might be able repurpose a couple of plugs, not sure. But fishing wires isnā€™t an option the way the house is built

clt says just run a drop cord from your neighbors outside outlet.

:face_vomiting:

Like the gauge cluster. My least favorite thing about most other Teslas is that they donā€™t have one.

Meh - the steering wheel.

Yuck - severe stylingā€¦I know it matches the exterior but itā€™s intentionally ugly and spartan.

Interior of that thing is awful.

Tesla could get away with such things when it had no competition, but with the lightning and the future Silverado EV trucks, I donā€™t think they can get away with an interior like this.

1 Like

I hate those steering wheels. The styling of the Cybertruck is just too much for me. Iā€™d never drive one.

1 Like

clt has spotted 2 r1tā€™s in the wild. sneaky large

Watched the preproduction Rivians on Ewan McGregorā€™s motorcycle show. They look fantastic.

I just wish they werenā€™t so expensive.

2 Likes

Watched the same show and yeah the Rivians look great. A guy at work ended up selling his reservation to someone when he decided it was too much for his wife. I think he made several thousand off of it.

1 Like

:battery:

The auto dealer lobby has always been strong in NC.

I donā€™t suspect this is an auto lobby thing. Just a grumpy old man set in his ways that thinks electric cars are a liberal ploy to turn our kids into communist gays. After reading into it, it looks like itā€™s the national association of travel plazas sounding the alarm over this.

If a private business has to disclose how much electric charging ā€œcostsā€ customers, letā€™s just legislate how much all perks given to employees cost their customers.

As long as it isnā€™t government giving away and paying for power to EVs I donā€™t give a crap. Not crazy about government funding peopleā€™s transportation costs tho

We plug each of our evā€™s into a standard regular olā€™ 120 outlet, and have never felt the need for anything stronger. Our little clown car juices back to full on that, and the id4 adds maybe 50 miles overnight. Obviously if you have a long commute this isnā€™t ideal, but if you arenā€™t putting tons of daily miles on it, a standard outlet is fine.