The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

Solar panels are nasty for environment to dispose of. Just need a better power solution. I still the the aversion to Nuke is crazy. We need more of them.

1 Like

as is the disposal of electric batteries. We once had a good pipeline of experienced people in the nuclear power field, however the people with this know-how are not as many, are they? Need to re-up the research in this, and yes, remove the bad taste everyone has in their mouths regarding safety.

With new technology they have really gotten down to the waste to be very very minimal. Yes itā€™s bad stuff but if you can use it to almost nothing then itā€™s a wise move and if we want everything from cars to planes to trains being electric absolutely have to find ways to generate more of it.

I think Volkswagen overtakes them in a year or two . Tesla needs to launch more models to broaden their appeal. In two years maybe the Cybertruck will be out finally at least. They really need a sub compact hatch.

Working Homer Simpson GIF

clt says homer killed nuclear energy globally.

EVs are OK but the dishonesty around ā€˜cleanā€™ is annoying. Coal produces most of the electricity to power EVs. The lithium batteries are horribly un-environmental. But they are great, right?. Iā€™ll stick to my 6 cyl Tacoma. Iā€™ve driven a Tesla and admit they are scary quick. Really a gas to go 0-100 in under 10 sec.

1 Like

Coal is under 20% of the us energy mix.

Lithium is one of the less environmentally destructive things to mine compared to other components of batteries.

Tesla produced about a million cars last year, and is growing at ~50% annual rate.
Also, I think you guys are vastly underestimating how hard it is to retool an ICE factory to EV. Itā€™s like going from selling tractors to laptops. It can be done, but itā€™s not easy.
I really think VW is the only legacy OEM truly taking this seriously. They will sell a bajillion ID Buzz minibuses, and the ID5 and ID3 would be huge sellers here. My wife has asked several times about whether the ID3 will come to the states, she really wants one. I wouldnā€™t be totally shocked if VW took over the EV crown, but everyone else is starting the race with weights around their ankles.

A couple points hereā€¦ First, the grid is getting cleaner and cleaner as more renewables come online, and coal plants are retired. Meanwhile gas cars always run on gas. But for the sake of argument lets say I live in WV and my EV is powered exclusively by coal power. Itā€™s still cleaner than an ICE car because of efficiency. The electric powertrain just needs less power to operate. For example a Model 3 has an mpg (miles per gallon equivalent) of 141. Its battery is the equivalent of a three gallon gas tank.

Second, ss for the batteries, they arenā€™t just being dumped into trash heaps. Typically ~90% of the raw materials from an EV battery can be recycled at the end of its life. This will be big business. I wish Redwood Materies was publicly traded, because man thatā€™s going to be a monster of an industry.

Cadillac will be fully electric by 2030. So will all of the German makers. Honda has a partnership with GM to accelerate their program and I have already told you about Toyota, which is planning for a major rollout starting 2025. Itā€™s not like they havenā€™t done EVs before.

I think SSB rollout and supply chain issues are the only likely/possible delays.

Think how many times automotive companies have retooled their lines though. This might be more extensive to some degree but its normal business for them. Tesla was a tech company that had to learn mass production and it is something they are still figuring out. Legacy auto manufacturers already know mass production of vehicles. If a tech company can learn production. A production company can shift production. Now that so much of it is automated on top of that it isnā€™t as difficult as it once was because itā€™s just telling robots how to assemble - vs teaching humans.

Tesla will continue to be what they are which is a boutique maker that drives technology advances and a premium brand in the EV space - which honestly is probably exactly what they should be and what EV bros need - a company that continues to lead the charge. That wasnā€™t supposed to be a pun but so be it.

Also autonomous robots building cars that can drive themselves - anyone else get apocalypse feelings with that. Just kiddingā€¦ kind of.

1 Like

terminator GIF

1 Like

The reply function is weird. Replied to ghostā€™s post and it came up as a reply to Chisox.

Oh wellā€¦

I wonder if those electric NASCAR cars will have software that mimics engine noise?

I finally saw an F150 Lightning in the wild a couple weeks ago, and then yesterday I saw an electric Hummer. Both drivers were really nice and gave me tours of the vehicles. The Lightning is awesome. It had tooonnnnns of really clever and useful features. The Hummer felt more gimmicky. Itā€™s a beast. Over a thousand horsepower. The owner says there are only two in all of NJ, Michael Strahan has the other.

Just my opinion, but I think the Lightning at anything below $50k will sell as many as Ford wants to make. For a long long time. Higher trims should sell well too.

That front cargo area is no joke. Itā€™s like having the full trunk of a mid sized sedan up front (14.1 CF / 400 lbs load), and then you still have the entire truck bed. Itā€™s a crazy useful vehicle. Thereā€™s almost nothing it canā€™t do, and do well.

1 Like

Towing.

clt says the lightning is a joke off road. buy RIVN!

A Lightning under 50K would probably entice me to pull the trigger. But someone still needs to explain charging these things to meā€¦