The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

Thatā€™s been my assertion for a huge chunk of this thread.

There are probably going to be some weird bridge SSB products too which will make the discussion murkier. Stuff like ā€œSSSBsā€ (semi-solid state batteries).

I do agree though that efficiencies / economies of scale are hugely important to adoption though. BEVs and all the key tech inside them are still too expensive. At some point, costs are going to come down, and when they come down enough, thatā€™ll be the tipping point. That also logically coincides with sufficient ramp up of production capacity.

Finally, at the risk of the typical political crap - but this part is relevant: congress is about to pass another bill that includes an extension of the $7,500 tax credits that will apply to all manufacturers, including the ones that had already hit the previous limit. And another $4,000 tax credit for resale.

Theyā€™re going to have to be careful about that resale one. Some idiots are probably going to engineer multiple back and forth sales to pile up tax credits in perpetuity.

1 Like

Surely it would be limited to one resale?

Iā€™m not a fan of the resale tax credit at all.

One time makes sense and may be the case. Iā€™ve only read headlines about the bill, but it is going through, for sure.

I disagree that one time makes sense. The purpose of the credit is supposed to get more EVs on the road. A used EV doesnā€™t do that because it is already on the road. All this credit is going to do is inflate the resale value of EVs.

I would love to know how they came up with those numbers, because that seems wildly inaccurate. EVs just have way fewer parts than an ICE vehicle. Like wayyyyyyy fewer. And the parts that an EV does have are simpler and longer lasting. Even something like brakes, which both an ice and ev have, last way longer on an ev thanks to regen braking.

When I say there is no maintenance on an EV, I mean that very literally. We have an eight year old bmw i3 that got new tires a while back, and thatā€™s it. The ID4 we have only had a short while, but Iā€™m struggling to think of what would constitute as upcoming maintenance on it.

Again, it just comes down to parts: fewer, simpler, longer lasting. The most complex thing in an ev isnā€™t even a physical thing, itā€™s the software.

I understand that sentiment, and itā€™s a fair point, but I will say I am surprised to see a current EV owner say it. Itā€™s partly done to protect you.

Also, there is a much weaker argument to make that it does increase the supply of EVs on the road by keeping the existing units marketable, which encourages potential buyers to continue to purchase them. If there was a feeling that you get stuck with them without the benefit of a tax credit in a sale, then that actually lessens the marketability of new purchases.

I am not staying that itā€™s a strong argument, but it is an argument.

The simplicity of the basic EV motor design, which is already 100+ years old, and has so few moving parts, is the key. A combustion engine is an engineering marvel, but also prone to dozens of failure and wear and tear points. An EV motor just does not compare - they are so much more ridiculously reliable.

Which is why all the focus is on batteries. They are the failure / durability point for EVs. SSBs will go a long way to solving some of the worst issues.

1 Like

I am not sure how CR calculated their numbers. In June of last year, the US Dept of Energy calculated it at .06 per mile for EV and .10 per mile for ICE. Comparable to CR as it relates to the gap.

Iā€™m with Chisox. I can only think they are including a battery replacement or something. Doesnā€™t make sense at all. Tires and wiper blades is it. My brakes only get used going from 7mph to 0. Iā€™ll never replace my brake pads.

2 Likes

Here is what the US Dept of Energy included.

Iā€™m betting part of the cost of EV maintenance is also due to lack of places to get maintenance done and cost of parts and just not much competition there. EVs as a whole are more expensive to insure not because of the complexities in fixing them in the event of an accident but because of the lack of resources to have them fixed.

I saw a Lucid in the wild for the first time yesterday. It looks really good in person.

4 Likes

Speaking of Lucidā€¦ Lucid Motors will barely make any EVs this year as it slashes production goals again - The Verge

I really donā€™t see how this company survives. Itā€™s a bummer because by all accounts itā€™s a great car, but itā€™s also hilarious because for a couple years now people have insisted that this was the Tesla Killer. Lol

Yahoo Finance: Fisker CEO: Ocean SUV on track; 400K annual capacity coming by 2024.

This is interesting. They are going to make this battery for small EVs such as scooters, but wonā€™t scale it up for cars because:

For the larger batteries used in electric cars, there simply isnā€™t enough grid capacity to cope with lithium carbon batteries. Thatā€™s why itā€™s unlikely the chemistry will be scaled up for larger vehicles any time soon. Wilson thinks it would make more sense for electric cars to use hybrid lithium-ion battery and ultracapacitor systems that can be charged within five minutes using 350 kilowatt charge points.

So the grid cannot handle some of the tech already being developed and battery advances are still relatively in their infancy. This new tech charges too fast.

So itā€™s really only a tax credit for rich people is what Iā€™m reading here?

clt says nope, none of us will qualify.

The requirements do not stop there. In addition to the vehicle MSRP caps there is also an income cap. That cap is $150,000 for a Single-filing taxpayer and $300,000 for those filing jointly.