The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

Thatā€™s awesome! Glad you finally have one!

1 Like

clt says your climate control is one degree too high!

Whereā€™s the syber truck?

That a truck?

This data must be retrievable after an accident. Maybe the state should pass laws making such situations at-fault in the event of any vehicle accident?

Since the car is likely recording all data fault will be far easier to figure out who is at fault.

All cars record data (in the modern era anyway) . I donā€™t know for sure but I suspect more is recorded on evā€™s.

My car will give me a driving score based upon data monitoring. I can share it with insurers if I choose to lower my rate if the score is good, though I donā€™t.

1 Like

Always been dubious of those ā€œdriving scoreā€ commercials. Seems that if an insurance company can lower your rate based on a good score, what keeps them from increasing your rate due to a bad score?

Thatā€™s why I donā€™t share mine. My score usually is low because some of that score is based on drive time. Iā€™m in the car a lot so I always score low for that component of my score and it drags my overall score down a ton even though Iā€™m always in the green for average speed, smooth drive, etc.

Thought Iā€™d share my experience with this as a PSA.

I didnā€™t want to do this but got talked into it. Device was placed on my car for ā€œa few weeks - once we get enough data it can come off - doesnā€™t have to be several monthsā€.

That was the first lie. It was 4 months. And it had to be on every car we owned at the same time. And it does stuff like report that you are driving in heavy traffic if you just leave the car running on a hot or cold day while you are sitting waiting for something (car rider line at my kidsā€™ school - they treat that the same as rush hour traffic on 77).

The 2nd lie was that the discount would be permanent. Bull. Bought a new car soon after we did thisā€¦ Insurance company said we had to start all over again. I told them what I thought of that. They had said the discount was for life. Also, they are supposed to be tracking the DRIVER info not the CARā€¦ They are collecting driver tendency data. Why does it matter which car youā€™re doing it in? But no, they score the driving dynamics of each car which is stupid as hell.

3rd lie was the ā€œsave up to 40%ā€ - this one is the one that should subject them to a class action lawsuit because itā€™s total BS. There is no way to save 40% on your insurance bill via this program. I know. I ā€œqualifiedā€ for the ā€œfull 40%ā€, but that discount only applied to a very small portion of the bill. Effectively it was much less than 10% and I maxed it out.

Essentially they are giving you a tiny, not even guaranteed discount so that they can collect a ton of personal data such as where you live and what your daily routines are, and they sell that for way more than they are cutting your bill by.

And donā€™t think for a minute you are going to hit the 40%. Only reason I did is because I WFH and barely ever drive (by choice). Iā€™m the exception. Most people will probably get like 17% (even if you are a good driver - you have to drive like a grandma and canā€™t put miles on your car) which will work out to less than 5% off the total bill.

1 Like

Fuck ā€˜em.

Enough of my personal data is collected in my every day life. Iā€™m not volunteering anymore of it.

I donā€™t want any information tracked. How about everyone wants your info at every check out now?

Can I have your phone number? No

Do you have a rewards number? No

Would you like a rewards number? No

All you have to do is enter your email? No thanks .

You will save 30%. I DO NOT CARE?

You donā€™t want to save 30%? I will gladly pay 30% extra for you to STFup and I can promptly leave this storeā€¦

Ok. Can I have your phone number? No!

It will help us look up your purchase if you return something? I will have a printed receipt!

Ok. Would you like your receipt printed or emailed? I am about to go to prison.

clt says set up a google voice number for reward programs, google never tracks you

1 Like

I always wonder if people that hate being tracked have a cell phone. I get the hate, it just strikes me as kind of funny. :slight_smile:

I think itā€™s a fair question, and to answer it, I do everything I can to make it harder to track me. Itā€™s about limiting the level of privacy invasion to the best of my ability.

But it sucks. It also sucks that almost all businesses these days require you to have a cell phone to even do business with them. I told one of them that I didnā€™t have one and the guy in the other end of the line almost had a seizure. Does not compute was putting it mildly.

My guess is even if you take all the precautions, turn off every setting you can, the tech companies are STILL tracking you via your cell phone.

Yep. They most certainly are, but not to the degree they could be.

clt says the guy in sc accused of murdering wife was being tracked by his suburban

1 Like

clt says not a great choice for tailgating tho