The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

I have been working with autonomous electric vehicles for over two decades. Over $1 billion in sales of fully autonomous electric vehicles globally last year. These have been in industrial environments since 1954. The technology is there. The issue is expense in the private sector. The most sophisticated vehicles cost upwards of $500k each.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-14/ford-halts-production-of-f-150-plug-in-pickup-over-battery-issue

Yes industrial environments. Which are controlled environments.

Call me when an autonomous vehicle can come pick me up in Concord in a rainstorm and deliver me to downtown charlotte in rush hour.

In other words. Never.

clt is sorry that you are in concord

1 Like

If thatā€™s the bar half the drivers on the road canā€™t do that safely either.

This sensor was released 5 years ago. 64m range in fog, rain, etcā€¦ That is what was commercially available and not what had been and is being developed. The point is that this is much closer than most realize.

3 Likes

Thanks for dissing my home.

Released 5 years agoā€¦. Where are the autonomous cars?

If the tech was good enough we would have autonomous cars today. Itā€™s not good enough.

Itā€™s a pipe dream. Too much variation in road conditions, other unpredictable drivers, weather, construction, kids playing in the street.

Not gonna happen.

We all want to see it happen it would be awesome. But itā€™s not gonna happen. Not until their is true AI and if and when that happens autonomous cars may not be the way true AI wants to spend its timeā€¦ā€¦

Look at how fast cars and airplanes advanced in a short amount of time.

That was because they were viable technologies.

Autonomous cars are not a viable technology for general road use.

Itā€™s amazing to me the amount of money that has been thrown at this and they number of smart people who have been duped into thinking this was just around the corner.

Self driving cars will happen when people are ready to pay for it and money can be made on it. I donā€™t know the tech, Iā€™m gonna guess though when we have enough cars on the road that they can all communicate with each other that is when it will go big.

The problem is the people, if you see an autonomous car you know you can bully it so many drive more aggressively.

Never thought about that aspect of it.

I do see cultural resistance.

Lots of people donā€™t line EVs. There may be a very negative reaction to autonomous cars.

I mean hell, they probably could do long distance trucking interstate only from terminal to terminal now if they could work out the legalities. But are we really going to put millions of truckers out of a job?

We have let machines put millions of workers out of jobs already. Why are truckers any different?

Ironically as much as I hate EVs id gladly take a self driving one. I detest driving an EV. I either want an ICE I drive or an EV that does it for me. I mean the EV is already doing much of the driving as it is.

I canā€™t even trust my wife to drive in those conditions, and she is way better than a tezla

clt says autonomous cars would be epic for tailgating

Buffalo Bills Football GIF by EliteSportsTours

Yeah I know. Something just feels different. I keep reading that automation is going to create a permanent underclass of unemployed or under employed people. Greater than in previous generations.

Even my very basic highway drive assist does 95% of the driving for me on highways and itā€™s not even intended to be anything close to autonomous driving.

Right now cars are trying to do it all themselves. Theyā€™ll eventually have sensors in roadways and signs and stoplights than communicate with cars to make autonomous driving more feasible everywhere.

Itā€™s not 5 or 10 years away, but itā€™ll happen in my lifetime.

1 Like

The current issue for manufacturing is the lack of people willing to work in those environments. Automation used to take jobs, but now it is required due to the lack of labor. It is ironic that autonomous electric vehicles are used to move gas engines.

My preference for autonomous vehicles would be elevated highways. Manually driven until reaching the elevated highways would eliminate pretty much all issues with pedestrians, animals, etc. Weather can be relayed from vehicles up ahead in real time to other vehicles alerting them to reduce speed for upcoming conditions. I donā€™t think you need AI to make an automated vehicle better than a manually operated vehicle. Nothing will be perfect, but better than current is what typically sells.

Driving to Raleigh today. Currently in Greensboro. Havenā€™t touched steering wheel since I got on the interstate at the university city exit where I stopped to charge before hitting the road.

The tech for autonomous highway driving isnā€™t as far off as some people want to believe.

For city driving, I think itā€™s still a fair ways away. A lot more variables in the city to contend with.

1 Like

After being a fanboy for well over a decade, Iā€™m finally an owner. We absolutely love it.

3 Likes