The Majerus, Mitchell, and Reed "Soap Opera" at Saint Louis

Suspect this is the fallout from the long-rumored sexual assault involving the men’s basketball team at Saint Louis.

STLToday.com: Mitchell, Reed out at SLU

[quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:24079”]Suspect this is the fallout from the long-rumored sexual assault involving the men’s basketball team at Saint Louis.

STLToday.com: Mitchell, Reed out at SLU[/quote]
Wow. SLU has to drop significantly in the A10 Power Rankings without them.

Wasn’t Reed supposed to be an NBA-caliber player?

Yes. NBADraft.net has him going #23 in the 2011 Mock Draft, ahead of Chris Wight at #29 and Lavoy Allen at #48.

[quote=“eason49, post:2, topic:24079”][quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:24079”]Suspect this is the fallout from the long-rumored sexual assault involving the men’s basketball team at Saint Louis.

STLToday.com: Mitchell, Reed out at SLU[/quote]
Wow. SLU has to drop significantly in the A10 Power Rankings without them.

Wasn’t Reed supposed to be an NBA-caliber player?[/quote]

Both will likely be back by conference time…trust me. This could very well be just a token suspension ::slight_smile:

sokool, unless you know something that the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and the local FOX-affiliate don’t know, sounds like KM and WR are no longer Billikens.

FOX2Now.com: Two of SLU’s Top Hoop Stars Gone

If they’re gone, I’d rather they stay gone forever. It hurts the conference for sure, but not as bad as a depleted Billikens team taking a beating OOC and then beating up on conference opponents with their top two players back.

SLU fans saying both appealed it down to 1 semester.

Wow. That would be a HUGE loss to the conference and render SLU to bottom feeder status from a team that is expected to compete for the championship. Both players are vying for all league honors this year. Would be like us losing Spears and Derrio.

Not sure how the 1 semester thing would work, if true. They have to be enrolled in school, right? And, I dont know what SLU’s academic calendar looks like, but it is getting late in the year. Dont know how they’d be eligible, any thoughts?

[quote=“Iron9er, post:8, topic:24079”]Wow. That would be a HUGE loss to the conference and render SLU to bottom feeder status from a team that is expected to compete for the championship. Both players are vying for all league honors this year. Would be like us losing Spears and Derrio.

Not sure how the 1 semester thing would work, if true. They have to be enrolled in school, right? And, I dont know what SLU’s academic calendar looks like, but it is getting late in the year. Dont know how they’d be eligible, any thoughts?[/quote]

It would mean they would be back just in time for conference play, but a SLU fan said on the A-10 board that Willie Reed Sr. said if SLU doesn’t do away with the whole suspension, junior wouldn’t be back at SLU.

So they’ll lose OOC games, then be good again in time to play us. Great.

And Reed has a lot to lose if he can’t play at all next year (if he transfers out, though maybe getting suspended like this voids the transfer rule? no idea). I bet he’ll come around and decide to play after sitting out.

[quote=“9erken, post:10, topic:24079”]So they’ll lose OOC games, then be good again in time to play us. Great.

And Reed has a lot to lose if he can’t play at all next year (if he transfers out, though maybe getting suspended like this voids the transfer rule? no idea). I bet he’ll come around and decide to play after sitting out.[/quote]

It was a school suspension, not a NCAA suspension, so I’m guessing if Reed wants to transfer, his year would start now or at the very least, at the beginning of next semester.

Top two returnees, Kwamain Mitchell and Willie Reed are off the team at Saint Louis. Mitchell’s attorney say he hopes to return in January.

Two SLU players suspended amid sex-assault allegations, Saint Louis Post-Dispatch
Loss of players hurts SLU program, Saint Louis Post-Dispatch
SLU case sparks more questions than answers, Saint Louis Post-Dispatch

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=27871.0

This. Emphatically. Letting them come back for conference play punishes the entire league.

That’s terrible.

If they are not allowed to take classes this semester how can they be eligible to play next semester? I would think you would have to have a certain GPA in the fall semester to be eligibile for spring. Is this not the case with football players who don’t have a high enough gpa and are forced to sit out bowl games?

This is all very confusing. Anyway, Mitchell wants to return in January (and even seen in Chaifetz yesterday by a P-D reporter), while Reed is asking for his release to transfer. With the loss of KM for at least OOC play, plus Reed seemingly for good (not to mention the fact of how the NCAA handled the Sean Kowal situation, thus denying him the opportunity to play for SLU this season), I’d say the Billikens are currently a team in disarray. If Majerus has them contending for the A-10, then he’ll definitely deserve COY!

This is an unfortunate situation for all those involved and it may hurt the overall strength of the league, but in all honesty, if there is one less expected contender for one of those top 4 byes to AC and it increases the chances of us getting one, I cannot complain.

This pisses me off the more I think about it. You cannot just suspend these kids for non conference play. If so, you’re hurting the A10 a whole helluva lot worse than you’re hurting either of them. They are a totally different team with those two players. Woods is a talent, but Mitchell makes that team go. Anyone who watched him play down the stretch last year can tell you how important he was to their success.

They’ll get pounded without him and then go at elast 8-8 in the league and make the league look that much weaker.

That’s crap.

More from Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

STLToday.com: Bernie Bytes: 10 thoughts on SLU’s controversy

Reed gone for certain…

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/article_f841bd84-9dde-5ed3-b92a-e5e102af552c.html