The Name Change Campaign

[B]For all those who want to contribute to the name change campaign, this is the thread for you.[/B]

To start, I want to inform all students (and interested alumni in the area) that we will be having a meeting this coming Tuesday to start getting everything together and organized for the campaign ahead. The time will be in the evening around 6pm but that’s not firm, and the location will be on campus somewhere convenient. I apologize for the short notice, but this has been hard to set up with everyone’s busy and rapidly changing schedules. If you are unable to attend or you just want to help a little, please just send me a PM with your email or say something on here and I will be sure to keep you informed.

In general, the biggest thing we are going to have to do is inform the people. There are lots of misconceptions and just an all around lack of understanding on the situation that a lot of people have and we need to show them all the facts so that they can make an informed decision.

There will be a student vote in the fall of '08 and this will be our first biggest target. If we can’t get this to come back with an overwhelming positive vote in favor of the name change, our campaign may be sunk. I personally think we may need more time than this, but some have argued otherwise. If we do decide we need more time at the end of summer, the opportunity is there to go to the SGA and ask for a suspension of the vote until later.

We need to collect as much information as possible and spread it as well we can. A website, fliers, and any other way we can think that will get people to understand the facts is huge. We also have over a year’s worth of Name Confusion Log entries to put on the table. We can show how other schools have been affected by a name change and show how the Prefix/Modifier system denotes inferiority.

One thing I think we need to do is public surveying. Try to use scientific surveying tactics so that we have legitimate results. Gather information on what people think of the school, whether they know who we are or not, whether they know that we are not part of UNC-CH, and questions similar to this. I especially think we need to poll the alumni on this because a large portion of them have an attachment to the UNCC.

We also need to ready ourselves with answers to the arguments against the name change. These consist of stuff like:

• The UNC does more good for us than harm.
  • No one will know who the University of Charlotte is.
  • It will be expensive.
  • I went to UNCC and I want it to stay that way.
  • It will be time consuming and this time could be better spent elsewhere.
  • It will take up time with the BOG and we need them to worry more about giving us adequate funding than changing our name. (This argument comes straight from Phil Dubois.)
  • It will increase this whole “Great State of Mecklenburg” thing that has been going on with Raleigh. (Also, straight from Phil Dubois.)
    (There are arguments out there so if you can think of them please post them.)

As for the website, I think we need to load it with information. We also need to make a list of people who are for the name change and keep its numbers public. We can also keep track of who of these people are alumni.
Some name ideas are:
www. universityofcharlotte.org
www. simplycharlotte.com
www. justcharlotte.com
www. nomoreunc.com
www. ucharlotte.com

Please voice your opinion on the website’s name if you have one.

We also need to pick a name for the group and at least two of us have agreed we like the name “University Name Change Commission.” This way we can be UNCC and have it be a play on the whole name confusion issue. Then we can also go around changing the second ‘C’ and call ourselves the “Universtiy Name Change Committee” “… Council,” “…Confederation,” etc.

Please give your opinion on this as well if you have one.

Not sure where this fits in other than in spreading the word, but we have the Mayor of Charlotte’s support on this, so as long as he stays mayor we need to try to get his help as much as we can. If he is elected governor, this can only be a good thing for us.

Finally, this is my take on what we need to do to be successful:

• Inform the people and have a strong, positive return on the student vote.
  • Gather strong Alumni support.
  • Use the student vote, Alumni support, and newfound organization of the people to put the chancellor in the same position he is in now regarding football (this being that if he passes on football, frankly, all hell breaks loose).
  • Take this new found unification on the issue to the BOT and get their approval.
  • Go to the UNC BOG who has basically stated ‘if the school is united on the issue, then we will pass it’ and get them to finally change our name.
    (All easier typed than done.)

I’ve probably forgotten some things, but I think this is a good place to start. Just remember that every bit of assistance helps and [B]WE CAN DO THIS[/B]. If you ever have any ideas on this matter that you want to share or you want to help in any way, please do. As long as we work together and get organized, we have the power to fix this issue.

#1 argument against:
Will Tate is running the campaign.

#1 argument against: Will Tate is running the campaign.
Oh yea, sorry, I forgot to put that one in there. Just thinking about this argument makes me believe in the whole movement less.:doh:

I’m in.

Will, you are the man. I won’t be able to make it to the meeting, but you know I passionately agree with the idea of changing the name, and will back the campaign.

I think this is great. I’m a little worried about the timing-

We are in the midst of hopefully starting a football team soon, and I think these two critical upgrades might interfere with each other…

I think the ideal time for this, unfortunately, might be after 2012. Is there a UNC school that plays football and still has the UNC prefix?

I vote for www. ucharlotte.com for the website. I also vote for the name of the commission that you have proposed. One suggestion I would make is, if you do any polls about interest in a name change, specifically a poll geared towards alumni, I would also try to include in the poll some questions about that person’s current involvement with the university (ie. donating, attending sporting events, buying merchandise, attending alumni gatherings, etc). It has been my experience that most people against the name change have little interest in the university as a whole, so their opinion should be weighed differently.

Thanks for being involved in this process and for trying to push the issue. Anybody involved in this process should take great pride and know they played a huge role in making the university better if it ever comes to fruition

The only reason I can think of for keeping the unc in the name is that people want to be associated with chapel hill. If this is the case why not just go there?

We need our own identity.

Please voice your opinion on the website's name if you have one.

Why not just email larry@universityofcharlotte.com?

www.universityofcharlotte.com

I think this is great. I'm a little worried about the timing-

We are in the midst of hopefully starting a football team soon, and I think these two critical upgrades might interfere with each other…

I think the ideal time for this, unfortunately, might be after 2012. Is there a UNC school that plays football and still has the UNC prefix?

I can see how taking on 2 huge projects at the same time can be worrisome. But I think the advantages of the name change can actually help the the football initiative. Its all about branding and the name change could actual be a better brand for any possible future athletic conference options.

And, although the name change is a big undertaking, I don’t feel the expenses for such a change are as big as some people feel they might be. For the most part it would be a one time expense. Where football would be year after year. A lot of the expenses (letterhead, business cards, etc) would be the same relative expense as if the name change doesn’t take place. You just use up whatever current inventory you have with the old name, then when it’s time to reorder supplies, you order with the new name.

A lot of surveys were already done by Stamatas before they got fired, can we use that information? There was a link to the presentation they did in a thread about a year ago.

Why not just email [EMAIL=larry@universityofcharlotte.com]larry@universityofcharlotte.com[/EMAIL]?

Someone should tell Larry football isn’t spelled “foot ball”

[QUOTE=49or bust;314169][B]For all those who want to contribute to the name change campaign, this is the thread for you.[/B]

To start, I want to inform all students (and interested alumni in the area) that we will be having a meeting this coming Tuesday to start getting everything together and organized for the campaign ahead. The time will be in the evening around 6pm but that’s not firm, and the location will be on campus somewhere convenient. I apologize for the short notice, but this has been hard to set up with everyone’s busy and rapidly changing schedules. If you are unable to attend or you just want to help a little, please just send me a PM with your email or say something on here and I will be sure to keep you informed.

In general, the biggest thing we are going to have to do is inform the people. There are lots of misconceptions and just an all around lack of understanding on the situation that a lot of people have and we need to show them all the facts so that they can make an informed decision.

There will be a student vote in the fall of '08 and this will be our first biggest target. If we can’t get this to come back with an overwhelming positive vote in favor of the name change, our campaign may be sunk. I personally think we may need more time than this, but some have argued otherwise. If we do decide we need more time at the end of summer, the opportunity is there to go to the SGA and ask for a suspension of the vote until later.

We need to collect as much information as possible and spread it as well we can. A website, fliers, and any other way we can think that will get people to understand the facts is huge. We also have over a year’s worth of Name Confusion Log entries to put on the table. We can show how other schools have been affected by a name change and show how the Prefix/Modifier system denotes inferiority.

One thing I think we need to do is public surveying. Try to use scientific surveying tactics so that we have legitimate results. Gather information on what people think of the school, whether they know who we are or not, whether they know that we are not part of UNC-CH, and questions similar to this. I especially think we need to poll the alumni on this because a large portion of them have an attachment to the UNCC.

We also need to ready ourselves with answers to the arguments against the name change. These consist of stuff like:

• The UNC does more good for us than harm.
  • No one will know who the University of Charlotte is.
  • It will be expensive.
  • I went to UNCC and I want it to stay that way.
  • It will be time consuming and this time could be better spent elsewhere.
  • It will take up time with the BOG and we need them to worry more about giving us adequate funding than changing our name. (This argument comes straight from Phil Dubois.)
  • It will increase this whole “Great State of Mecklenburg” thing that has been going on with Raleigh. (Also, straight from Phil Dubois.)
    (There are arguments out there so if you can think of them please post them.)

As for the website, I think we need to load it with information. We also need to make a list of people who are for the name change and keep its numbers public. We can also keep track of who of these people are alumni.
Some name ideas are:
www. universityofcharlotte.org
www. simplycharlotte.com
www. justcharlotte.com
www. nomoreunc.com
www. ucharlotte.com

Please voice your opinion on the website’s name if you have one.

We also need to pick a name for the group and at least two of us have agreed we like the name “University Name Change Commission.” This way we can be UNCC and have it be a play on the whole name confusion issue. Then we can also go around changing the second ‘C’ and call ourselves the “Universtiy Name Change Committee” “… Council,” “…Confederation,” etc.

Please give your opinion on this as well if you have one.

Not sure where this fits in other than in spreading the word, but we have the Mayor of Charlotte’s support on this, so as long as he stays mayor we need to try to get his help as much as we can. If he is elected governor, this can only be a good thing for us.

Finally, this is my take on what we need to do to be successful:

• Inform the people and have a strong, positive return on the student vote.
  • Gather strong Alumni support.
  • Use the student vote, Alumni support, and newfound organization of the people to put the chancellor in the same position he is in now regarding football (this being that if he passes on football, frankly, all hell breaks loose).
  • Take this new found unification on the issue to the BOT and get their approval.
  • Go to the UNC BOG who has basically stated ‘if the school is united on the issue, then we will pass it’ and get them to finally change our name.
    (All easier typed than done.)

I’ve probably forgotten some things, but I think this is a good place to start. Just remember that every bit of assistance helps and [B]WE CAN DO THIS[/B]. If you ever have any ideas on this matter that you want to share or you want to help in any way, please do. As long as we work together and get organized, we have the power to fix this issue.[/QUOTE]

clt says the group should be called “University Name Change Commission” but go by the initials “unc”

just like our friends up 85.

clt says the group should be called "University Name Change Commission" but go by the initials "unc"

just like our friends up 85.

hahah clt - thats amazing

I think this is great. I'm a little worried about the timing-

I have heard this before, and I half agree. I think had we started the movement a year or so ago the two would have interfered, but at this stage in the football movement, I don’t believe this would happen. Football is, imo at least, a done deal and so the two campaigns will not really be competing for attention. We will not reach our final goal with the name change until later so I do not know that the two would interfere.

As far as UNC prefix football teams we have:
UNC-Chapel Hill
and
UNC Pembroke

Why not just email [EMAIL=larry@universityofcharlotte.com]larry@universityofcharlotte.com[/EMAIL]?

I had planned on emailing this guy after the group had gone official so I will be doing that soon.

For those who were interested in attending, we will be meeting at 6 in the library. We will meet downstairs in that little common area and move somewhere else after everyone has arrived. If you think you are coming and haven’t already spoken with me, please say something and I will PM you my cellphone # so that in case you arrive late you can call me.

I am new to the forum, but feel very strongly about the name change. I would love to attend tomorrow night but have class I can’t miss. Please keep us updated on this page about what’s happening. Also, I would like to be part of the University Name Change Commission.

The University of Charlotte is too local. It is small time. It chokes the schools growth potential.
You want a name that encompasses a larger region. This University is not just for Charlotte, we service a much larger area. And we seek money from companies beyond Mecklenburg County.

It is the same concept as the Carolina Panthers adopted, they strectched their arms out a lot wider with that name and you can see how well it works, it makes more people feel connected and thus the money comes from places way outside of Charlotte.

I know I know what about schools like UCLA, or Boston College (but they have a little thing called history we are without) there are always exceptions.

We visited this same topic when I was an Undergrad in 2000.

Lots of names were floated around but nothing ever came of it.

The one I personally Liked was Carolina Tech but I’m sure I was and continue to be in the minority.

It doesn’t matter the Administration will never change it, it is a lost cause

!!!