The Name Change Campaign

The University of Charlotte is too local. It is small time. It chokes the schools growth potential. You want a name that encompasses a larger region. This University is not just for Charlotte, we service a much larger area. And we seek money from companies beyond Mecklenburg County.

It is the same concept as the Carolina Panthers adopted, they strectched their arms out a lot wider with that name and you can see how well it works, it makes more people feel connected and thus the money comes from places way outside of Charlotte.

I know I know what about schools like UCLA, or Boston College (but they have a little thing called history we are without) there are always exceptions.

We visited this same topic when I was an Undergrad in 2000.

Lots of names were floated around but nothing ever came of it.

The one I personally Liked was Carolina Tech but I’m sure I was and continue to be in the minority.

It doesn’t matter the Administration will never change it, it is a lost cause

I guess University of Louisville…Memphis…Cincinnati…etc…are all too local. Seriously, we’re in (arguably) the largest city in the Southeast and the second largest banking capital of the country, it’s not “smalltime” anymore.

And the Panthers are one of only a few teams in the NFL not specifically tied to a city. New England being one of the obvious others.

[QUOTE=Patrick The Elder;314357]The University of Charlotte is too local. It is small time. It chokes the schools growth potential.
You want a name that encompasses a larger region. This University is not just for Charlotte, we service a much larger area. And we seek money from companies beyond Mecklenburg County.
[/QUOTE] Then let’s try “University of America”, and we can become “America’s Team”. Then, the only confusion we would have to worry about would be people confusing us with American University.

The University of Charlotte is too local. It is small time. It chokes the schools growth potential. You want a name that encompasses a larger region. This University is not just for Charlotte, we service a much larger area. And we seek money from companies beyond Mecklenburg County.
Tell that to University of Pittsburgh, University of Cincinnati, University of Memphis, University of Louisville, University of Houston and so on.
It is the same concept as the Carolina Panthers adopted, they strectched their arms out a lot wider with that name and you can see how well it works, it makes more people feel connected and thus the money comes from places way outside of Charlotte.
I see your point but the attention we get with the UNC on our name is because of Chapel Hill or the system, not because of our school. It lessens our own personal identity and in the end I think it hurts us more than helps but that really requires research to be provable or disprovable. We don't get as much love in our own city because we have this UNC thing on us and it makes people think we are part of Chapel Hill. If we are University of Charlotte, the city will feel more like they "own" us and we are [B]their team[/B]. People will not stop giving us money because we somehow are only a school for Charlotte because that is silly. If you were going to give us money before when we were UNC Charlotte, you'll give it to us as U of Charlotte.

Also, if this is true, why aren’t schools like ASU, ECU, and WCU chomping at the bit to become UNC Boone, UNC Greenville, UNC Cullowhee respectively? Why would they want to limit themselves to funds from only the Appalachian Mountains, Eastern part of NC, or Western part of NC respectively? Because they probably don’t limit themselves any more than they already are due to geographical location.

I know I know what about schools like UCLA, or Boston College (but they have a little thing called history we are without) there are always exceptions.
UCLA isn't part of a school system with an inconsistent and belittling naming system and also has 11 basketball titles to their name. Boston College is private. Neither belong in this discussion.
It doesn't matter the Administration will never change it, it is a lost cause
Well, I guess we will find out won't we? :smile:
Well then why don't we call ourselves 'University of Carolina', so that UNC-CH gets confused with us and not the other way around. :49ers:

In all seriousness, I won’t be able to come to the meeting on Tuesday due to a previously scheduled engagement, but please let me know
how I can help. This is the right time to push this initiative, and I look forward to helping publicize the vote and lobby the administration for support.

I think that the only case that I may be against a name change is if we add “tech” anywhere.

UNCC already gives the community college impression - lets not move from one community college symbol to another…

I think that the only case that I may be against a name change is if we add "tech" anywhere.

UNCC already gives the community college impression - lets not move from one community college symbol to another…

I am also not in favor of adding “tech.” However, I’ve never shared this sentiment that “tech” sounds close to a community college.

we are not a tech school.

I’m in. I will try my best to attend the meeting tomorrow.

Yes, the Panthers have been pretty successful. But we don’t know if they would have been any less successful had they been named the Charlotte Panthers. I believe the Carolina name for the Panthers came in part because the owners were from SC. They had greater ties to SC than they did to Charlotte. Had the owners been from Charlotte I believe the name would have been Charlotte Panthers.

So how did the meeting go last night?

jfickett was going to post the minutes. I'm sure they'll be up sometime haha.

let’s do this!

we be established yo’

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]University Name Change Commission[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Meeting Minutes 4/15/2008[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings][SIZE=3]Ø[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]The official name of the organization will be University Name Change Commission aka UNCC[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings][SIZE=3]Ø[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Necessities for publicity[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=‘Courier New’][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Facebook [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=‘Courier New’][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Data and research [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=‘Courier New’][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Flyers, website, scientific research[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=‘Courier New’][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]etc[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings][SIZE=3]Ø[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Website ideas: [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=‘Courier New’][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE] [/FONT][URL=http://www.universityofcharlotte.org/][U][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]www.universityofcharlotte.org[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL]
[FONT=‘Courier New’][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE] [/FONT][URL=http://www.ucharlotte.org/][U][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]www.ucharlotte.org[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL]
[FONT=‘Courier New’][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE] [/FONT][URL=http://www.justcharlotte.org/][U][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]www.justcharlotte.org[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL]
[FONT=Wingdings][SIZE=3]Ø[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Alumni, students, outside, [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Goals for the next time:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Contact Judy Rose about research done for AD[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Developing a Research method[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Where? How? Costs? Risks?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Publicity –get in touch with marketing people[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Get in touch sociology professors/statisticians [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Facebook group[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Most important is to inform students prior to SGA vote – positive return on vote[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Turn positive return into action[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Proof that there is no other viable option than changing the name.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Next meeting at the discretion of Will Tate.

Sounds great guys. Put me down as an interested supporter. If I can be of assistance, let me know. I would like to propose you guys pull up the old Stamats studies to use as well.

Sounds great guys. Put me down as an interested supporter. If I can be of assistance, let me know. I would like to propose you guys pull up the old Stamats studies to use as well.

Thats part of what was brought up as some research that would be interesting to get ahold of if we can.

Why don’t you check out post 11 ChevEE and stop stealing my thunder. :tongue:

[QUOTE=EE9er;314816]Why don’t you check out post 11 ChevEE and [B]stop stealing my thunder[/B]. :tongue:[/QUOTE]

Is [I]that [/I]what that noise was?? I thought I was being followed by the jolly green giant or something. I didn’t know it was your thunder… :biggrin:

Sounds great guys. Put me down as an interested supporter. If I can be of assistance, let me know.
To you and all alumni who want to help in any way, we are absolutely going to need as much alumni support as we can get. Like, we are going to need some pretty active alumni to help out because we need to reel in some major alumni support or this thing is sunk.

If you want to help out at all, we would love to have you at our meetings or to at least get your input.

[FONT=Calibri][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Goals for the next time:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Contact Judy Rose about research done for AD[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

I’ve actually already gone through the written files from 2000 when the AD changed its name when writing the Name Change Resolution. There’s nothing useful in there. They are in Vice Chancellor Hardin’s office if you wish to go back through them. It only took 2 hours to go through the file cover to cover.

I have copies of the 3 or so useful documents (out of about 4000) if you all wish to see them.