The Name Change Campaign

[QUOTE=49or bust;314936]To you and all alumni who want to help in any way, we are absolutely going to need as much alumni support as we can get. Like, we are going to need some pretty active alumni to help out because we need to reel in some major alumni support or this thing is sunk.

If you want to help out at all, we would love to have you at our meetings or to at least get your input.[/QUOTE]

When is the next meeting? I’ll try to make it if I can.

When is the next meeting? I'll try to make it if I can.

We didnt schedule the next yet - but it should be before summer so that we can actually get the ball rolling with something to work on over the summer

I read this in the UTimes today. The university has hired an outside company, A3 Designs, to create a new logo for the university. According to the paper the logo will be released this summer. I fear that if the university is already spending $200,000 on branding expenses, the administration will be unwilling to take on another costly endeavour, especially if the new logo has UNC Charlotte written on it.

I personally know the owners of A3 Design, my girlfriend is their cousin. I am going to try to contact them to see how things are going with the design. I will also throw out the idea of making a University of Charlotte logo or a UNC Charlotte logo that does not incorporate the letters UNC or phrase University of North Carolina.

If anyone else has an opinion on this, please share.

I read this in the UTimes today. The university has hired an outside company, A3 Designs, to create a new logo for the university. According to the paper the logo will be released this summer. I fear that if the university is already spending $200,000 on branding expenses, the administration will be unwilling to take on another costly endeavour, especially if the new logo has UNC Charlotte written on it.

I personally know the owners of A3 Design, my girlfriend is their cousin. I am going to try to contact them to see how things are going with the design. I will also throw out the idea of making a University of Charlotte logo or a UNC Charlotte logo that does not incorporate the letters UNC or phrase University of North Carolina.

From what I’ve heard, the new logo won’t be that different from the current crown logo.

They’re quite adamant about the crown logo. God forbid we go with a pick axe with an academic look to it.

From what I've heard, the new logo won't be that different from the current crown logo.

They’re quite adamant about the crown logo. God forbid we go with a pick axe with an academic look to it.

I like having both. It seems reasonable to have one for academics and one for athletics. Many schools have 4 or 5 recognizable logos.

From what I've heard, the new logo won't be that different from the current crown logo.

Crown>Pickaxe

We’re Forty-Niners, not ****in’ miners!

[QUOTE=thelew1014;315716]Crown>Pickaxe

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I like the crown.

Here’s the UTimes piece LoyalNiner mentioned

[URL]http://www.nineronline.com/media/storage/paper971/news/2008/04/22/News/Branding.Study.Hits.The.Reset.Button-3342325.shtml[/URL]

[QUOTE=VA49er;315717]I agree. I like the crown.[/QUOTE]
A crown that looks similar to Charlotte’s (the city) crown should help Charlloteans associate the school with the city. That’s a battle we need to win if we’re gonna be all the stuff we want to be.

Excellent! The Statmats study tells us flat out we need to CHANGE OUR NAME and instead we throw out the $200,000 study and instead throw another $200,000 at a new logo??? F u guys in the leadership. Seriously. Fing ridiculous.

[QUOTE=49or bust;315794]Excellent! The Statmats study tells us flat out we need to CHANGE OUR NAME and instead we throw out the $200,000 study and instead throw another $200,000 at a new logo??? F u guys in the leadership. Seriously. Fing ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

What are they gonna do about all the detailing on campus with the current crown logo?

What are they gonna do about all the detailing on campus with the current crown logo?
The majority of it is extremely easy to change. The bigger stuff would just have to replace the old name with the new.

[QUOTE=49or bust;315814]The majority of it is extremely easy to change. The bigger stuff would just have to replace the old name with the new.[/QUOTE]

They’re gonna have to completely refurnish Prospector for example since every chair in there has the current crown logo on it.

They're gonna have to completely refurnish Prospector for example since every chair in there has the current crown logo on it.
Does it say UNC Charlotte on the chair itself? Don't remember seeing those.

In any event, the name change will not come free. But I also think that if we find ourselves getting enough support, we can run fundraisers. We will have a MUCH lower mark to reach than football in order to make the name change monetarily acceptable for the admin.

This is something I’ve been going with for a while and I hope that anyone who cares about this movement heeds my call.

The thing about calling Carolina “UNC-CH” and calling NC State “UNC R” and stuff like that needs to stop. UNC-CH is UNC. This is the reality of things. NC State isn’t UNC R and they had a damn good reason for not going along with that naming scheme. ASU isn’t UNC Boone and we all know none of them would ever want to be UNC Boone.

When you call them something other than what they are, I think it lessens the impact it has on those of us who want to change our name or might be sueded in that direction. Calling Carolina UNC might make you mad, but this is good. The madder everyone gets, the better. Happy people don’t help lead movements for great change. Happy people are happy and therefore complacent. The more people see or hear UNC, NC State, ASU, etc. and see us stuck with UNC Charlotte, the more I think people will see the issue the way we do and the more help we will get with this movement. So even though it’s not the biggest thing on Earth, I think that the UNC Raleigh and UNC Boone thing ends up hurting us.

[QUOTE=49or bust;316153]This is something I’ve been going with for a while and I hope that anyone who cares about this movement heeds my call.

The thing about calling Carolina “UNC-CH” and calling NC State “UNC R” and stuff like that needs to stop. UNC-CH is UNC. This is the reality of things. NC State isn’t UNC R and they had a damn good reason for not going along with that naming scheme. ASU isn’t UNC Boone and we all know none of them would ever want to be UNC Boone.

When you call them something other than what they are, I think it lessens the impact it has on those of us who want to change our name or might be sueded in that direction. Calling Carolina UNC might make you mad, but this is good. The madder everyone gets, the better. Happy people don’t help lead movements for great change. Happy people are happy and therefore complacent. The more people see or hear UNC, NC State, ASU, etc. and see us stuck with UNC Charlotte, the more I think people will see the issue the way we do and the more help we will get with this movement. So even though it’s not the biggest thing on Earth, I think that the UNC Raleigh and UNC Boone thing ends up hurting us.[/QUOTE]

I can understand what you’re saying about boone and raleigh, but the school in chapel hill is indeed UNC CH

I can understand what you're saying about boone and raleigh, but the school in chapel hill is indeed UNC CH
Right, but no one outside of NNN is going to say that the team that beat us on Tuesday was the UNC CH Tarheels. They are the UNC Tarheels and we just gotta deal with that.
Right, but no one outside of NNN is going to say that the team that beat us on Tuesday was the UNC CH Tarheels. They are the UNC Tarheels and we just gotta deal with that.

i agree that we shouldn’t make up names for other schools, but the unc tarheels are the unc-ch tarheels. to change our name will take an act of the charlotte board of trustees, the unc (not unc-ch) board of governors and the general assembly -which will then likely need the signature of the governor. there is no way that the legislature is going to appropriate funds for a name change (which they will have to do - it will cost millions) in a tight budget year. so in the meantime, i see nothing wrong with using a schools legitimate name to point out there exists a difference between the unc system and the unc campuses.

[QUOTE=49or bust;316168]Right, but no one outside of NNN is going to say that the team that beat us on Tuesday was the UNC CH Tarheels. They are the UNC Tarheels and we just gotta deal with that.[/QUOTE]

I still disagree. I say call the tarholes “chapel hill”, and leave “unc” for the 16 campus system. That seems to me to be the most proper and least confusing.

I agree with y’all that UNC is actually UNC-CH but watch a basketball game on ESPN and Carolina is listed as UNC on the scoreboard, not UNC-CH. Everywhere else on everything from license plates to whatever they are called UNC. I too think that UNC is the system, but hardly anyone else does it that way and when they do some amount of confusion generally arises. So we need to play at their game and embrace the rage this produces and use that rage to do something constructive.

Of course, if it is a confusing situation as I said before you by all means should use UNC-CH for clarity; but in normal usage calling them UNC-CH all the time just because you want to show that there is a difference from the UNCS only serves to promote diversions from the name issue and not contribute to getting people pissed and involved. If you want to call them just Chapel Hill that works too.

Oh, and as for funding, 49erPress, I wanna do fund raising to make the monetary concerns more acceptable. It won’t be a yearly expense like football and I doubt it could cost more than a few million so I think we could pull this off.