The Niner - Seahawk / Major - Buzz Comparison

I was just looking at the Seahawks, as I have several friends who graduated from “U-Dub” and thought it will be interesting to compare how our seasons go. UNCW is 2-2, we are 2-3 as of right now. Their only losses are at Florida and Ohio State, but their only wins are against Liberty and Morehead St. George Washington, Radford, and George Mason (X2) will be our common opponents. They finished last season at 9-22, to our 19-12. We both were at .500 after four games, with their losses coming to some pretty big BCS programs.

I for one was opposed to hiring Buzz, not because he was a Tar Heel (I could care less) but because of how he bitch smacked App St around. This season could be very telling of our choice to go after an assistant verses someone like Buzz. Obviously, the next four years will be a bigger indicator, but I think that this season will be a fun one to track Charlotte v. UNCW. Maybe we could schedule them next year.

You’re assuming Buzz won’t be at a new school next year. :))

I’m against scheduling UNCW, we play enough local teams that don’t matter and don’t bring any fans (ECU). I’d like us to only play 1 crappy local team a year - preferabbly Winthrop. Fuck Buzz Peterson, App is going to be decent this year for once.

Why don’t we add coaches at other programs too… I mean just for the fuck of it ::slight_smile:

Pretty soon some local programs are going to say this about us.

They lost to A&T tonight… you want to keep this going?

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:6, topic:24394”]They lost to A&T tonight… you want to keep this going?[/quote]A loss like that will take the buzz out of the arena, quickly.

I got one. Coach K took 4 years to go to the NCAAs (inheriting a team that had been to the Final Four within 2 years). Fire him?

Charlotte - 3-4; KenPom - 163; RPI - 284
Wilmington - 2-3; KenPom - 258; RPI - 194

And for what it’s worth, this wasn’t a fire Major, we should have hired Buzz thread. It was a season-long comparison, fwiw. It is a good comparison too versus other programs since they hired a coach that we were looking at, or certain alums wanted us to look at. Why is everyone on here so cynical now?

All I ever really post is factual, thoughtful stuff. Yet people automatically polarize issues, and it freaking blows me away.

Buzz has done nothing at Wilmington unexpected other than an overtime win vs Morehead State. Both schools will have the same issues for the next several years if the scholarship usage is the same. The Seahawks have signed 8 players and only have 7 scholarships available. IF they stay, that certainly screws up how you bring in future classes.

Major’s recruiting at the moment is his strong point. The down side is that they’re still just freshmen next year.

[quote=“HP49er, post:10, topic:24394”]Buzz has done nothing at Wilmington unexpected other than an overtime win vs Morehead State. Both schools will have the same issues for the next several years if the scholarship usage is the same. The Seahawks have signed 8 players and only have 7 scholarships available. IF they stay, that certainly screws up how you bring in future classes.

Major’s recruiting at the moment is his strong point. The down side is that they’re still just freshmen next year.[/quote]

No way our situation stays the same. That’s a pretty heavy indictment of Major there HP.

I don’t get the comparison unless we want to see what Charlotte alum tore a program down worse over the past 4 years.

How did I indict Major? Newcomers (freshmen), unless they go to Kentucky, will rarely be main pieces of any team’s puzzle. Important pieces, but not the biggest pieces.

Ouch…

Implying that we would have the same issues for several years. Maybe for a year and a half at most, but several years implies a long period of dark times.

Implying that we would have the same issues for several years. Maybe for a year and a half at most, but several years implies a long period of dark times.[/quote]We’re several years into the dark times, right?

Powerbait, I did not imply that at all. I was referring to teams usually having equal classes. So many players in one class will cause an issue somewhere in a 4-year period. Can Buzz win with 8 freshmen, 3 sophomores, 1 junior and 2 seniors next season?

Fixed.

right now we have 4 freshman for next year, 1 being Voncina if he’s ever cleared.

The team we have a year from now will be very different. The three recruits, Luka, KJ, Mayfield.

I do still want a PG and a juco bigman.