The Observer Sucks - Pro Am Addition

Exactly.....what gets me is everybody coming on here posting about how "if we win....".........bull crap! We've won PLENTY and the coverage rarely changes.
I don't know how we can 1up KC Rivers and Clemson any more than beating the hell out of them on their home court with our fans mocking them.

Anyone have any ideas?

[QUOTE=eason49;331607]I don’t know how we can 1up KC Rivers and Clemson any more than beating the hell out of them on their home court with our fans mocking them.

Anyone have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

fart in their eye

Yep, we start beating people and start making noise, coverage is going to happen. But geez, 3 hometown niners and no blurb.....and the fact that WE DID beat Clemson who WAS represented in the picture, that's just sad. But yeah, we win a lot, we get covered a lot.
Sorry, and no disrespect intended.......... but many of us have been around long enough to know that's not true.

Sure, we’ll get a little “extra” coverage, but even with some decent runs while in CUSA the O would stick us toward the back of the sports page, behind the small colleges, all by ourselves with the caption “Niner fans, read about your team on page 8”. That prety much prevented us picking up additional fans from the Charlotte area, something we desperately need to help support football.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;331463]I’m not going to yell and scream about it, but I am regularly disgusted by it. [/quote] me too.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;331463]What can we do? We’re kidding if we think winning a national championship would change anything. The same people would still have the same allegiances.[/QUOTE] that’s probably true and very sad at the same time. we would receive major coverage for winning the nc. but things would be back to normal the next season even if we were good again.

[QUOTE=919R;331503]Exactly…what gets me is everybody coming on here posting about how “if we win…”…bull crap! We’ve won PLENTY and the coverage rarely changes. Oh, it might APPEAR better for a short-time, but then its back to the same ol’ crap, like this picture/caption represent[/QUOTE]
but it’s ok for them to give major coverage to certain teams located over 100 miles away that don’t win that often.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;331662]Sure, we’ll get a little “extra” coverage, but even with some decent runs while in CUSA the O would stick us toward the back of the sports page, behind the small colleges, all by ourselves with the caption [B]“Niner fans, read about your team on page 8”[/B]. That prety much prevented us picking up additional fans from the Charlotte area, something we desperately need to help support football.[/QUOTE]how true. how true.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;331662]Sorry, and no disrespect intended… but many of us have been around long enough to know that’s not true.

Sure, we’ll get a little “extra” coverage, but even with some decent runs while in CUSA the O would stick us toward the back of the sports page, behind the small colleges, all by ourselves with the caption [B]“Niner fans, read about your team on page 8”[/B]. That prety much prevented us picking up additional fans from the Charlotte area, something we desperately need to help support football.[/QUOTE]

None taken 40. But I’m not talking winning a few more games, I’m talking making noise in the tournament. I say a Sweet 16 run or two will wake up the local fan base, and force the Observer’s hand. I just really believe that. In CUSA, we never did it; we did the opposite. At best we’d get past the first round and fizzled out…tanked. The only thing that did was fan the fires of those who believed that we were overrated and not the real deal. And who could argue with them? Therefore we got ignored. We continue to get ignored.

So when I say we win a little more and we’ll get coverage, I’m talking about when it counts. Davidson got pretty decent coverage if I may add this last year. If they do it again this year I could only imagine how much pub they’re going to get. But I bet they get even more just from what they did from last year. We’ve just GOT to win in MARCH.

None taken 40. But I'm not talking winning a few more games, I'm talking making noise in the tournament. I say a Sweet 16 run or two will wake up the local fan base, and force the Observer's hand. I just really believe that. In CUSA, we never did it; we did the opposite. At best we'd get past the first round and fizzled out....tanked. The only thing that did was fan the fires of those who believed that we were overrated and not the real deal. And who could argue with them? Therefore we got ignored. We continue to get ignored.

So when I say we win a little more and we’ll get coverage, I’m talking about when it counts. Davidson got pretty decent coverage if I may add this last year. If they do it again this year I could only imagine how much pub they’re going to get. But I bet they get even more just from what they did from last year. We’ve just GOT to win in MARCH.

Sure. Let’s be a Top 10 basketball program for a couple seasons and then maybe … just maybe … the hometown newspaper will give us home-team coverage at the level of a ‘University of Central Florida’ or something. Good idea. No more tanked CUSA-type seasons.

[QUOTE=survivor45;331745]Sure. Let’s be a Top 10 basketball program for a couple seasons and then maybe … just maybe … the hometown newspaper will give us home-team coverage at the level of a ‘University of Central Florida’ or something. Good idea. No more tanked CUSA-type seasons.[/QUOTE]

Come on now, I didn’t say all that. We don’t have to be top 10. Being ranked PERIOD would probably help now that you mention it, but I’m thinking maybe 2 sweet 16 runs in a 5 year time frame. If we could pull that out, I just think it would make a difference in coverage. Don’t get me wrong I think the Observer coverage is laughable as of today. If we were absolute crap and never won a game… we’re STILL the home team and should get special treatment over some, but again I’m just saying…winning gets us more. And I can’t believe they took a photo with 3 niner players and couldn’t even identify them. I’m not one to focus on the observer coverage much that that’s just an incredible oversight.

Now…how do we get to the second weekend in March… Hmmmmm.

Basically, everything in Jim’s blog should be in the paper. If that was true, there would be no argument. That would give us the coverage in the local paper that most schools get.

None taken 40. But I'm not talking winning a few more games, I'm talking making noise in the tournament. I say a Sweet 16 run or two will wake up the local fan base, and force the Observer's hand. I just really believe that. In CUSA, we never did it; we did the opposite. At best we'd get past the first round and fizzled out....tanked. The only thing that did was fan the fires of those who believed that we were overrated and not the real deal. And who could argue with them? Therefore we got ignored. We continue to get ignored.

I get what you’re saying. But your argument loses some validity due to the fact the player the Observer mentions , instead of any of the Niners, plays for Clemson. Clemson hasn’t met your “just win more” mantra either, yet they get the mention over the local home team.

[QUOTE=Normmm;331795]I get what you’re saying. But your argument loses some validity due to the fact the player the Observer mentions , instead of any of the Niners, plays for Clemson. Clemson hasn’t met your “just win more” mantra either, yet they get the mention over the local home team.[/QUOTE]

True Normmm, but the bias that currently exists doesn’t make the fact that we have to win to get more pub any less true. We all know the bias exists, the observer is ACC biased, wal-mart fans are biased, etc. How does that change? How do we stop the current trend? We freakin win in March. That’s how it changes. Then, I bet whomever took that picture starts to recognize niners.

We’re fighting an uphill battle, but it’s a battle we have to fight…here in “ACC Country”. What would John Fox say?..it is what it is.

[QUOTE=plannerniner;331770]Come on now, I didn’t say all that. We don’t have to be top 10. Being ranked PERIOD would probably help now that you mention it.[/QUOTE]

Been there, done that, several times. Didn’t help much then either.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;331772]Basically, everything in Jim’s blog should be in the paper. If that was true, there would be no argument. That would give us the coverage in the local paper that most schools get.[/QUOTE]

Ding!

Jim does a great job. I really love his blog.

Come on now, I didn't say all that. We don't have to be top 10. Being ranked PERIOD would probably help now that you mention it, but I'm thinking maybe 2 sweet 16 runs in a 5 year time frame. If we could pull that out, I just think it would make a difference in coverage. Don't get me wrong I think the Observer coverage is laughable as of today. If we were absolute crap and never won a game... we're STILL the home team and should get special treatment over some, but again I'm just saying.....winning gets us more. And I can't believe they took a photo with 3 niner players and couldn't even identify them. I'm not one to focus on the observer coverage much that that's just an incredible oversight.

Now…how do we get to the second weekend in March… Hmmmmm.

Note: We were ranked on a regular basis in the top 25 during '97,'98 and '99. One of those seasons we were ranked for almost 2 months straight (between 25th and 17th). I don’t remember any more coverage/respect from the local media.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;331825]

Jim does a great job. I really love his blog.[/QUOTE]

Be careful. If wind of this comment gets back to Observer management, they may make Utter’s blog a pay site.

BTW, Utter’s blog is very worthwhile. The rest of the Observer website…not so much.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;331825]Been there, done that, several times. Didn’t help much then either.

Ding!

Jim does a great job. I really love his blog.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Jim’s blog is good coverage. Thank goodness for blogs. There’s so much information that can be shared!

I’m not hanging my hat on rankings. It’s been so long since we’ve been ranked though it seems, it’d just be nice to be there again to see what happens when we do. My money’s on March success.

[QUOTE=plannerniner;331823]True Normmm, but the bias that currently exists doesn’t make the fact that we have to win to get more pub any less true. We all know the bias exists, the observer is ACC biased, wal-mart fans are biased, etc. How does that change? How do we stop the current trend? We freakin win in March. That’s how it changes. Then, I bet whomever took that picture starts to recognize niners.

We’re fighting an uphill battle, but it’s a battle we have to fight…here in “ACC Country”. What would John Fox say?..it is what it is.[/QUOTE]

I exchanged emails with Tierney. He said he went with recognizable names like McGinnis, Rivers, Blair, and Curry and retrospect should have mentioned Wilderness and Spears. We don’t really have a star or name player, other than Leemire but we weren’t that good with Leemire. People knew Henry, Demarco, Diego, Jobey, Rodney White for a year.

Tierney also said he thought Spears was the most impressive player there. SO, OF COURSE MY RESPONSE WAS: WHY IN THE HELL DIDN’T YOU WRITE THAT??? Kid transfers back home from ACC school is the best player out there that night!!! That just might be of interest to the reader’s. :doh: Maybe, I opened his eyes. One Observer staffer at a time.

FWIW, during this offseason other A-10 newspapers find the time to mention players (and even use pictures!)…

[b]Cincinnati Enquirer

No vacation for Brown

Musketeers’ Frease wants to build something special

Olean Times-Herald

Bonnies’ rigors make friends of Eleby and Cook[/b] [NOTE: online headline is incorrect]

[b]Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jackson hones leadership skills in offseason

Springfield Republican

UMass basketball players conduct a kids hoop clinic in Springfield[/b]

True Normmm, but the bias that currently exists doesn't make the fact that we have to win to get more pub any less true. We all know the bias exists, the observer is ACC biased, wal-mart fans are biased, etc. How does that change? How do we stop the current trend? We freakin win in March. That's how it changes. Then, I bet whomever took that picture starts to recognize niners.

We’re fighting an uphill battle, but it’s a battle we have to fight…here in “ACC Country”. What would John Fox say?..it is what it is.

I get what you’re saying. But one could argue, what makes this ACC country? Perhaps when the Observer opts to mention a Clemson player over a Charlotte player plays a huge role in making this ACC country. If the Observer felt compelled to have the Charlotte player/team the top priority then maybe the ACC country factor wouldn’t be so dominate.

I get what you're saying. But one could argue, what makes this ACC country? Perhaps when the Observer opts to mention a Clemson player over a Charlotte player plays a huge role in making this ACC country. If the Observer felt compelled to have the Charlotte player/team the top priority then maybe the ACC country factor wouldn't be so dominate.
Yes, yes, and more yes. You're absolutely write IMO.

Acc country doesn’t wash. Other than the last couple of years, Clemson hasn’t historically been good, plus Clemson fans don’t even like basketball, they’re football only.
And one person pointed out it was actually 4, not 3 niners.
And it is bad for us to beat Clemson, again, & the O doesn’t notice. We won at CU, & this is like a home win. If we beat CU in Dec. or Jan. this time, will we be forgotten again?
And I think they should put Utter’s blog in the paper. Most don’t read the online blogs.

The one unanswered question: [B]WHY WAS JIM UTTER NOT ASSIGNED TO DO THIS STORY, ESPECIALLY SINCE HE WAS ALREADY AT SOME OF THE GAMES? [/B]

Utter’s blog on the Niners is great, but as some have noted, at least some of those blogs need to be in the printed paper. It’s the same crap but in a different version. Niners can read about the Niners in the blog, but people living in Charlotte read about Clemson, a team not exactly known as a basketball dynasty.

And the net result is: [B]People reading the Observer have no idea some of the dominate players of this league have been Niners. [/B]