The "REAL" Carolina

To hell with UNC Charlotte, U. of Charlotte, etc.
What if we beat both UNC-CH & USC-C to the punch in their debat whether U. of North Carolina or U. of South Carolina is the real Carolina?
We should name ourselves U. of Carolina, & beat both of them to the punch.
The University of Carolina 49ers in Charlotte, NC!

People here would confuse us with UNC-CH and people in SC would confuse us with USC-C.

And if we changed it up to Carolina State University, well then people would confuse us with NCSU.

ugh… name change… need… now

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;261817]To hell with UNC Charlotte, U. of Charlotte, etc.
What if we beat both UNC-CH & USC-C to the punch in their debat whether U. of North Carolina or U. of South Carolina is the real Carolina?
We should name ourselves U. of Carolina, & beat both of them to the punch.
The University of Carolina 49ers in Charlotte, NC![/QUOTE]

yeah…ummmm NO!:huhsign:

It was just a thought to stick it to both.

I ****ing hate that ****ty dumb ass mother ****ing idea.

It was just a thought to stick it to both.

its a good thought though,.:wink:

[I]the university of charlotte = greatness[/I]

people will think our fans are all assholes if we call ourselves “carolina university”.

people will think our fans are all assholes if we call ourselves "carolina university".

HIYOO

I am for real not trying to flame at all. But, I really can’t understand why so many people on this board are obsessed with “Carolina”. Some people just can’t get over the fact that they 100% have a better athletic department than us. On the whole all their teams are better than ours. So it makes us look so inferior to hate on their football, basketball, or any other program.
Now are some of our sports better on a given year than theirs, without a doubt. But, usually on the whole they are better year after year and have MUCH more tradition than we ever will.
I also think we need to stop being obsessed with the name “Carolina or UNC”. That is what they are and will always be. If I am not mistaken they were the first public university in the country and the state, so for me that would make them UNC.
But, I am ALL FOR changing our name to the University of Charlotte to stop the confusion and separate ourselves from them, but we should not hate on their name.
By the way I am a former athlete and I was recruited the most by UNC and Charlotte and I chose to play at Charlotte, and one of the main reasons was to start our own tradition and success. But, I just think it’s stupid to hate on them, because it makes us look so lame.

Well, for a former athlete to say that we will never have the tradition of another school is lame.

We are a young school, tradition takes time. But you seem to be equating tradition with success. Florida has plenty of tradition, but only recently have they found success.

How can you know we won’t field a football team that wins national championships?

How can you know we won’t field a basketball team that does the same?

And what good does tradition get you anyway? It hasn’t done much for ND in my lifetime.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;261897]Well, for a former athlete to say that we will never have the tradition of another school is lame.

We are a young school, tradition takes time. But you seem to be equating tradition with success. Florida has plenty of tradition, but only recently have they found success.

How can you know we won’t field a football team that wins national championships?

How can you know we won’t field a basketball team that does the same?

And what good does tradition get you anyway? It hasn’t done much for ND in my lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Well, just think by the time we get some solid tradition in football which would be about 25 years down the line, at a minimum, then they (insert team) will already have the tradition they have before we came on the scene and for the next 25 years that we are trying to make ours.
We were starting some tradition in basketball before we went to the A-10, we were starting tradition in the mid and late 90’s with soccer, and we are #1 in golf right now so hopefully we can keep that going for many years to come.
But, tradition is not the only thing that makes a sport or team great. There are many factors that make them great.
The bottom line is that we have to make our own mark with all of our sports, and then everything else will follow.
I just think we need to relax with the UNC stuff and just worry about supporting our school and athletic department as a whole.
Name change for us, yes, but to bash UNC because we are upset that’s is UNC and not UNC-CH…that to me is lame and makes us look inferior.

[QUOTE=fotee9er;261898]Name change for us, yes, but to bash UNC because we are upset that’s is UNC and not UNC-CH…that to me is lame and makes us look inferior.[/QUOTE]

With name change, this would become a lesser issue for niner fans, but it is frustrating to have to say another schools name with yours to convey where you went to school. I live out of state (VA), and I must say UNC before Charlotte to properly convey to people where I went.

I can’t say Charlotte (blank stares) or Univ. of Charlotte (it isn’t an accepted way to refer to the school and people don’t understand). I have to say UNC charlotte, or Univ. of North Carolina at charlotte.

It isn’t so much that it is UNC’s name that I have to say, it is just the fact that I must say another schools name period in the process of saying the name of my own school. I think that the obsession with UNC’s name would go away with name change to an extent, but as much as I try, I cannot avoid repeating their name over and over anytime someone asks me where I went to college.

They can have their multiple unofficial names; UNC, Carolina, North Carolina, etc. I just wish we could make the simple change and develop our own; Charlotte, UC, etc. It is easier said than done for people to change the understood name to Charlotte with word of mouth, but its not going to happen till the school adopts an official or alternative name (i.e. Va Tech) of Univ. of Charlotte.

Until then, I will be forced to keep saying the school in Chapel Hill’s understood name followed by Charlotte. You are right that its ok that those are their names and that they do have a good athletic dept.

[QUOTE=fotee9er;261895]I really can’t understand why so many people on this board are obsessed with “Carolina”. Some people just can’t get over the fact that they 100% have a better athletic department than us. [/QUOTE]
i doubt that many are obsessed with the tarhole athletic program. we just make fun of their wannabee fans and get tired of mike trying to force feed them to all of charlotte. and it sounds like you are BRAGGING on them and putting us down. so if the shoe fits.

[QUOTE=lutz9er;261903]With name change, this would become a lesser issue for niner fans, but it is frustrating to have to say another schools name with yours to convey where you went to school. I live out of state (VA), and I must say UNC before Charlotte to properly convey to people where I went.

I can’t say Charlotte (blank stares) or Univ. of Charlotte (it isn’t an accepted way to refer to the school and people don’t understand). I have to say UNC charlotte, or Univ. of North Carolina at charlotte.

It isn’t so much that it is UNC’s name that I have to say, it is just the fact that I must say another schools name period in the process of saying the name of my own school. I think that the obsession with UNC’s name would go away with name change to an extent, but as much as I try, I cannot avoid repeating their name over and over anytime someone asks me where I went to college.

They can have their multiple unofficial names; UNC, Carolina, North Carolina, etc. I just wish we could make the simple change and develop our own; Charlotte, UC, etc. It is easier said than done for people to change the understood name to Charlotte with word of mouth, but its not going to happen till the school adopts an official or alternative name (i.e. Va Tech) of Univ. of Charlotte.

Until then, I will be forced to keep saying the school in Chapel Hill’s understood name followed by Charlotte. You are right that its ok that those are their names and that they do have a good athletic dept.[/QUOTE]

clt endorses said comments.

UPDATE: Went out last night and met a girl who told me she went to UNC. I then asked her “Which of the sixteen campuses?” I just couldn’t resist.

Clt, your endorsement means a lot.

[QUOTE=lutz9er;261919]UPDATE: Went out last night and met a girl who told me she went to UNC. I then asked her “Which of the sixteen campuses?” I just couldn’t resist.
[/QUOTE]
nice response.

UPDATE: Went out last night and met a girl who told me she went to UNC. I then asked her "Which of the sixteen campuses?" I just couldn't resist.

Clt, your endorsement means a lot.

Funny you should say that. I did too. Also ended up in a discussion about calling it UNC-CH. She said it was inappropriate. I said it was fair. We agreed to disagree.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;261967]Funny you should say that. I did too. Also ended up in a discussion about calling it UNC-CH. She said it was inappropriate. I said it was fair. We agreed to disagree.[/QUOTE]
I hope you got more than a disagreement out of this situation.

I hope you got more than a disagreement out of this situation.

I’ll send you the dirty version of the night in DVD format :lol: