The scales have tipped

There were approximately 5 things that bothered me as 49er supporter going into this basketball season:

1. we haven’t played defense in 3-4 years
  2. our only gameplan was launching 3s the past 3-4 years
  3. did we have another crop of thug-like players?
  4. pure raw athleticism has been WAY down
  5. Halton had become dead/we were invisible to media

All 5 questions are answered, and in no way am I embarrassed anymore of our program. Lutz needs a deal now Dubois and here’s why: it looks possible that we can go 11-5 in the A10, and end up with 20 wins (with 9 new players), which is unheard of. [B]If that happens[/B], the leverage is with Lutz and he may start fielding offers from other places and our price will go up. All I wanted to see this year was the ship back on course, IT IS.

Get it done Dubois.

Tim Collie
class of 1996

I’m with you, it’s time to get him extended so we have a chance at some of our 2008 recruit targets, Lutz has done a great job with all of the new players and the program is clearly in much better shape than it has been the past two years. Not quite back to the CUSA days, but a couple of ACC wins and the A10 resurgence should do wonders for recruiting.

[QUOTE=metro;282924]There were approximately 5 things that bothered me as 49er supporter going into this basketball season:

All 5 questions are answered, and in no way am I embarrassed anymore of our program. Lutz needs a deal now Dubois and here’s why: it looks possible that we can go 11-5 in the A10, and end up with 20 wins (with 9 new players), which is unheard of. [B]If that happens[/B], the leverage is with Lutz and he may start fielding offers from other places and our price will go up. All I wanted to see this year was the ship back on course, IT IS.

Get it done Dubois.

Tim Collie
class of 1996[/QUOTE]

From one of the O articles it sounded like the contract talk will be revisited after the season. Maybe that’s too long but I guess that’s what they agreed to.

:scared::blink::eek::huhsign::confused::wacko::wow::ohmy:

Metro, calling for an extension? Okay, I had to do that since you always give Lefty a hard time. Though you make good points, I think it is still a knee-jerk reaction to the Clemson game. That was no doubt a great win. But, 4 days prior we lost to Maryland. Maryland! What about consistancy?

:scared::blink::eek::huhsign::confused::wacko::wow::ohmy:

Metro, calling for an extension? Okay, I had to do that since you always give Lefty a hard time.

Lefty did after one game. I said the we had to turn the corner.
http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17936&page=2

The price will only go up.

Whenever anyone makes a post like this it seems like we always lose. Sad times.

[QUOTE=eason49;282940]Whenever anyone makes a post like this it seems like we always lose. Sad times.[/QUOTE]

No we lose any time we get ranked. If what you said was true, we’d never win a game. :lol:

No, we lose any time we get ranked. If what you said was true, we'd never win a game. :lol:
true and true btw, if we beat Temple I expect a vote or two

A coach that has enough talent to win at Clemson but can’t win at Hofstra does not deserve a new contract.

There were approximately 5 things that bothered me as 49er supporter going into this basketball season:

All 5 questions are answered, and in no way am I embarrassed anymore of our program. Lutz needs a deal now Dubois and here’s why: it looks possible that we can go 11-5 in the A10, and end up with 20 wins (with 9 new players), which is unheard of. If that happens, the leverage is with Lutz and he may start fielding offers from other places and our price will go up. All I wanted to see this year was the ship back on course, IT IS.

Get it done Dubois.

Tim Collie
class of 1996

Ummmm… I uhh, uhh, I agree with Metro? I can’t believe this. This post will go down in NNN history!

[QUOTE=bball49er;282943]A coach that has enough talent to win at Clemson but can’t win at Hofstra does not deserve a new contract.[/QUOTE]

sh*t happens, get over it. Its conference time and I think its obvious that we’ve grown as a team, but conference play will tell.

With 9 new players it amazing we’re above .500. I think most people would have taken a 9-5 record if it were offered to us in November.

[QUOTE=CMack124;282953]With 9 new players it amazing we’re above .500. I think most people would have taken a 9-5 record if it were offered to us in November.[/QUOTE]

I will agree with this. And I would like to see what Lutz can do with the squad he has formed.

[QUOTE=bball49er;282943]A coach that has enough talent to win at Clemson but can’t win at Hofstra does not deserve a new contract.[/QUOTE]

So every time you have major staffing changes at your place of business, everything runs smoothly from day one?

Expectations are a good thing as long as they are reasonable. I hated that loss with a passion, just like I’ll hate the next one we’re supposed to win. The key is to quickly reduce the frequency of that occurence.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;282957]. The key is to quickly reduce the frequency of that occurence.[/QUOTE]

and to expect at least one every season.

[QUOTE=metro;282942]true and true
btw, if we beat Temple I expect a vote or two[/QUOTE]

Drop the crackpipe…We’re not getting a vote if we beat Temple.We’ll be a team that is 10-5 and has lost to 2 of the worst teams in college bball,Hofstra and Monmouth.Get a grip!

From one of the O articles it sounded like the contract talk will be revisited after the season. Maybe that's too long but I guess that's what they agreed to.

the athletics rug is getting pretty full, football, now this…

The main problem I have with Lutz coaching is not the fact that he doesn’t have the ability to pull out big wins. He does that and has done that his whole career. It’s the fact that we have not improved as a program at all since 1999. We have stayed consistent at being inconsistent. We pull off huge games, but what good is that if there is a let down against an rpi 200 team the next game? It’s been happening for a while now, and quite frankly, I see no change this year.

I’m almost there.

I’m really curious to see what the team in their 1st 3 conference games. Its not purely about wins and losses, but it is about what the team shows on the floor. Sustain the most recent effort in these 2 home games vs. legit conference teams and a challenging road game (not to mention SUSTAIN THE CURRENT MEDIA COVERAGE) and I may have to agree with everything at the start of this thread.

note - “media coverage” in this comment is not limited to just print media. The past week to 10 days has provided the type of coverage this team should expect.

Yes, this is exactly the issue, the leverage has moved and I have always wondered who represents Lutz because his story and market pitch continues to get better.

How many programs would be interested in this track record:

• His CUSA conference winning %; I am sure many schools in the current CUSA would have interest in posting Lutz record. Include that with his record against Calapari and Memphis, you would think every school outside of Memphis would be recruiting him within CUSA.

• Then in general add to it, his .500 ACC mark this year, how many schools in the country would be interested in a coach who could go .500 in the ACC ? Also has won on the road in the ACC !!

Also add to it his lifetime record against the “hot” ACC coaches of Latetio at UVA and the guy at VA Tech.

So he has a very good pitch for perspective schools, especially you would think current CUSA schools, whom by the way now have money thru football to make very good offers.