The scales have tipped

There were approximately 5 things that bothered me as 49er supporter going into this basketball season:
  1. we havenā€™t played defense in 3-4 years
  2. our only gameplan was launching 3s the past 3-4 years
  3. did we have another crop of thug-like players?
  4. pure raw athleticism has been WAY down
  5. Halton had become dead/we were invisible to media

All 5 questions are answered, and in no way am I embarrassed anymore of our program. Lutz needs a deal now Dubois and hereā€™s why: it looks possible that we can go 11-5 in the A10, and end up with 20 wins (with 9 new players), which is unheard of. If that happens, the leverage is with Lutz and he may start fielding offers from other places and our price will go up. All I wanted to see this year was the ship back on course, IT IS.

Get it done Dubois.

Tim Collie
class of 1996

well said.

[QUOTE=lucky57;282961]Drop the crackpipeā€¦Weā€™re not getting a vote if we beat Temple.Weā€™ll be a team that is 10-5 and has lost to 2 of the worst teams in college bball,Hofstra and Monmouth.Get a grip![/QUOTE]

agree.

I think if we are 5-1 (or maybe 4-2) in conference play and win at Dayton, we could start to see a vote or 2.

I agreeā€¦with metro.

Wtf? But heā€™s totally on.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;283045]I agreeā€¦with metro.

Wtf? But heā€™s totally on.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

There were approximately 5 things that bothered me as 49er supporter going into this basketball season:
  1. we havenā€™t played defense in 3-4 years
  2. our only gameplan was launching 3s the past 3-4 years
  3. did we have another crop of thug-like players?
  4. pure raw athleticism has been WAY down
  5. Halton had become dead/we were invisible to media

All 5 questions are answered, and in no way am I embarrassed anymore of our program. Lutz needs a deal now Dubois and hereā€™s why: it looks possible that we can go 11-5 in the A10, and end up with 20 wins (with 9 new players), which is unheard of. If that happens, the leverage is with Lutz and he may start fielding offers from other places and our price will go up. All I wanted to see this year was the ship back on course, IT IS.

Get it done Dubois.

Tim Collie
class of 1996

What did you do with Metro, John Kerryā€¦

Next week if we lose, you going to take up your usual stance? Youā€™re not drinking while youā€™re posting are you?

Iā€™d like to see Lutz stay as well, but this game should be a small part to the puzzle not one of those 3 piece ones for infants.

I am having a very tough time with a single issue:

This team is very good. I very much like this team, and I think it more closely reflects the type of team we had earlier in his career.

Besides wanting him to win an extension, I cannot feel right about not letting him have a chance to coach this group at least a few more seasons to see what they can really do.

For that reason, I support an extension.

What did you do with Metro, John Kerry...

Next week if we lose, you going to take up your usual stance? Youā€™re not drinking while youā€™re posting are you?

Iā€™d like to see Lutz stay as well, but this game should be a small part to the puzzle not one of those 3 piece ones for infants.

my usual stance? you mean expecting success? gee sorry.

my usual stanceā€¦ has been if Lutz can right the ship (5 items listed in post 1), extend him. After the FD victory of only 6 at home, most objective observers would assume Maryland and Clemson were going to be too much. Thus making us 8-6.

Iā€™ve said from day 1, 9-5 is the OOC standardā€¦we just did it the really hard way by beating Wake and Clemson, while losing two cupcakes.

quit confusing high expectations with hate, and also look up the term ā€œleverageā€

First of all, the team is young so Iā€™ll cut them a break here or there. I am happy with the energy weā€™ve shown on D and hopefully the Clemson game will convince our guys that they can win without jacking 30 3ā€™s a game.

But, Iā€™m greedy and make no apologizes for it. If we had beaten Monmouth and Hofstra as we should, weā€™re 11-3 and have a shot a real good season.

I agree with Lutzā€™ statement of this team grades out a B. With those two wins- itā€™s an A.

I like Lutz, think he is a real good man. Letā€™s go 13-3 in the conference and give him a 5 yr deal.

8-8 in the A-10 just doesnā€™t do it for me.

That being said- Iā€™m on the fence. If we extend him now, Iā€™m okay with it. If we wait till after the season, Iā€™m ok with that too.

On the other side, will Lutz just take a lateral offer to spite the Niners? If he does, weā€™ll be alright. Some hungry, young coach will want this team. Everybody thought we would fall off the map after Mullins retired, same thing when Melvin left. Weā€™re a big school in an NBA city with pretty good facilities, and decent tradition.

Just a thought.

my usual stance? you mean expecting success? gee sorry.

my usual stanceā€¦ has been if Lutz can right the ship (5 items listed in post 1), extend him. After the FD victory of only 6 at home, most objective observers would assume Maryland and Clemson were going to be too much. Thus making us 8-6.

Iā€™ve said from day 1, 9-5 is the OOC standardā€¦we just did it the really hard way by beating Wake and Clemson, while losing two cupcakes.

quit confusing high expectations with hate, and also look up the term ā€œleverageā€

I never commented on leverage, thus there is no reason to look it up, but I still donā€™t think he has it quite yetā€¦ Why try to belittle me with those comments, I went to UNC Charlotte, not Chapel Hill.

My comment on your stance is last week you would have pulled the plug on the ship yourself if you could have, meaning you would have sent Lutz packing. I find it amusing to see all the negative things you spewed last week, and now you send in a letter of support after one game, and I donā€™t care who that game is against.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with expecting success aslong as what is expected is put within context (senior led team or 9 new faces?). Your expectations are continuous throughout, essentially applying to everyone, every team, every year, which is a very difficult thing to do for any team, namely one that has 9 new people getting game time.

Iā€™m just waiting until another Hofstra/Monmouth loss to see all the boo-birds come out.

Iā€™ve now come down firmly on the side of giving him an extension. Some of it has to do with performance on the court this year, but thatā€™s not the biggest reasonā€¦

I went to Lutz Live last night for the first time since my college days when it was at Oā€™Charleys. I got there early, and was surprised to see Lutz come up and shake my hand, ask how I was doing, etc. He then made it around to talk to every student that showed up. It made me realize how much he cares about the university and the student body. I already knew this, but in the context of his contract and complaints over his performance I thought about those things in an entirely different light. I donā€™t think that enthusiasm for the community could be replaced by anyone else.

Is he a good coach? Yes. Is he a great coach? He has his moments. Am I gonna get pissed at stuff he does in games sometimes? You know it, and Iā€™m willing to accept that. But that doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t like the man and hope he gets to stay to see this amazing team heā€™s starting to develop take shape. I know that being a good guy doesnā€™t always equate to being a good coach, and coaches have been kept around at our school before because they were good people. But weā€™re not talking about Hal Wissel here; Lutz is a decent coach that I think we can live with on and off the court.

We have improved over last year, GREAT win at Clemson, glad to see Lutz has apparently seen the light and will play Harris at the point, maybe he is becoing more flexible.

As a previous poster said , on the fence right now on new contract, lets wait until the season is over as Dubois says.

As I posted the other day, Lutz and his staff are exceeding expectations. This is a young team which through OOC has continued to improve. Theyā€™ve gone 9-5. Now with 16 games to go in a very tough A-10, can they get 8 to 9 more wins? Itā€™s doable. 18 wins and a first round tourney win in the A-10 this year I think can get an at-large in the NCAA.

Get out the boodle and start the extension(s). To wait till the end of the season carries significant risk -> Is Charlotte ready to counter another schools offer? If so, I guess we can afford to wait out the season. If notā€¦I would not wait to much longer.

Wow, I actually agree with Metro again. I think that may be twice in one season which has to be a record!

I also think it is amazing how the tone of this board can change game to game. We go from firing Lutz to letā€™s sign him before someone else realizes what a gem he is. I tend to agree that as a coach he is well respected by others in the business and could be looked at by another school. I think though that he gets a long-term deal (at least I hope he does) and can maybe start to build off of this year. Not only does our success help us, but the A10ā€™s resurgence can only help when we go out to recruit.

Bottom line, unknown coach = no recruits. As the season stands now, looks like weā€™ll finish over 500. Will the administration fire Bobby if he has a winning season, VERY doubtful. Love him or hate him, need to get him signed now so we have a shot at some top recruits.

The one thing that has impressed me most about this season is 1) how well we are doing with the insane number of new players we have, and 2) the level of effort shown on the court (hustle). Even during the L to MD, I was very impressed with our guys fight in the 2nd to come back from down 20+. That takes some buy in from the players to trust the coach, and some good playcalling on O and D from Lutz. I think the decision should still come after the season, but if the call had to be made today, Iā€™ld say to lock him up.

Bottom line, unknown coach = no recruits. As the season stands now, looks like weā€™ll finish over 500. Will the administration fire Bobby if he has a winning season, VERY doubtful. Love him or hate him, need to get him signed now so we have a shot at some top recruits.

Unfortunately, this recruiting season is pretty much in flames. It would be great to reach a conclusion so the program can at least recruit for the 2009-2010 season.

Wow, I actually agree with Metro again. I think that may be twice in one season which has to be a record! .

your sports IQ is rising :biggrin:

My comment on your stance is last week you would have pulled the plug on the ship yourself if you could have, meaning you would have sent Lutz packing. I find it amusing to see all the negative things you spewed last week, and now you send in a letter of support after one game, and I don't care who that game is against.

substantiate, Iā€™ve never called for Lutz head douchebag

[QUOTE=NinerFan;283120]As I posted the other day, Lutz and his staff are exceeding expectations. This is a young team which through OOC has continued to improve. Theyā€™ve gone 9-5. Now with 16 games to go in a very tough A-10, can they get 8 to 9 more wins? Itā€™s doable. 18 wins and a first round tourney win in the A-10 this year I think can get an at-large in the NCAA.[/QUOTE]

No way we get in as an at-large with a 19-13 record (9-7 A10, 1-1 A-10 Tourney). We have to finish no worse than 12-4 and make the conference finals to get an at-large bid, or to at least feel comfortable on Selection Sunday. Please realize that teams get killed by having 1 bad loss and we have 2 TERRIBLE losses.

It seems to me like Lutz got some kids with pride and unselfishness. That goes a long way, especially if you have a leader or two on the team that the other players respect.