THE TIME IS NOW!

Join the movement. THE TIME IS NOW!

[URL]http://inductdonnie.com/[/URL]

He Belongs!

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S391mQBjSMA[/URL]

He will or won’t get in after the steroid cloud is cleared. His numbers are paltry compared to the users, and until they are sorted out Mattingly does not stand a chance. Comparing is batting numbers with Maz or Ozzie is a joke, because those guys got in for being the best middle infield defensive players of their era. Mattingly was a great defensive 1st Basemen, but comparing his fielding percentage to Ozzie and Maz is frivolous seeing that he gets credit for not dropping throws to first base.

What it’s going to take is for the veteran’s committee to get him over the hump. He has no rings and played for the Yankees when they were horrible. Those two things are going to be hard to overcome to gain entry from the writers vote. As I said though, when some of his counterparts become members of the veteran’s committee he will have his best shot at getting in.

if he gets in than Keith Hernandez should be in

if he gets in than Keith Hernandez should be in
Definitely had the better mustache and TV career.

[QUOTE=X-49er;418690]He will or won’t get in after the steroid cloud is cleared. His numbers are paltry compared to the users, and until they are sorted out Mattingly does not stand a chance. Comparing is batting numbers with Maz or Ozzie is a joke, because those guys got in for being the best middle infield defensive players of their era. Mattingly was a great defensive 1st Basemen, but comparing his fielding percentage to Ozzie and Maz is frivolous seeing that he gets credit for not dropping throws to first base.

What it’s going to take is for the veteran’s committee to get him over the hump. He has no rings and played for the Yankees when they were horrible. Those two things are going to be hard to overcome to gain entry from the writers vote. As I said though, when some of his counterparts become members of the veteran’s committee he will have his best shot at getting in.[/QUOTE]

Right…because eventually the veterans committee will let in almost anyone to the “hall of very good”

After Dawson, Parker, Santo, Hodges and Murphy get in (2-3 of them don’t belong), then I’ll think about Mattingley.
He was good for a bit, but if he put up the same stats in Cleveland during the same time period, this wouldn’t be an issue.
Yankee fans think Maris should be in as well.

Tintin

If Mattingly were playing today in that billion dollar softball field they just opened, he would have no problem getting in the hall. Yankees fans, cut your loses with that silly ballpark and burn it down. It’s a joke and the laughing stock of MLB. It wouldn’t be any bigger waste of money that all those overpaid free agents you’ve brought in over the last decade.

[QUOTE=49erMatt;418718]If Mattingly were playing today in that billion dollar softball field they just opened, he would have no problem getting in the hall. Yankees fans, cut your loses with that silly ballpark and burn it down. It’s a joke and the laughing stock of MLB. It wouldn’t be any bigger waste of money that all those overpaid free agents you’ve brought in over the last decade.[/QUOTE]

Being a left-handed hitter in the old Yankee Stadium padded his home run numbers as well. He might hit more in the new stadium, but the old stadium helped him out plenty.

After Dawson, Parker, Santo, Hodges and Murphy get in (2-3 of them don't belong), then I'll think about Mattingley. He was good for a bit, but if he put up the same stats in Cleveland during the same time period, this wouldn't be an issue. Yankee fans think Maris should be in as well.

Tintin

Dawson will get in even though I do not believe he should. The only person on that list who should get in is Santo. No chance for Parker and possibly Hodges way down the road. I definitly hope to see players like Blyleven and Raines get in first probably even McGwire and Palmeiro before Mattingly gets in.

to get the HOF with his numbers and seasons of peak performance, he’d have to have left a Sandy Koufax-impact on the game. that didn’t happen. great player until he jacked his back up.

It’s the Hall of Fame, not the hall of really good.

He only had three seasons where he had 200+ hits, only hit over 30 homers THREE times (never hit over 35), and drove in 100+ runs only 5 times. I know, I know, his back. You can’t make excuses though, you either have a HOF career, or you don’t. Koufax is one rare exception to the rule.

Let’s let everyone who ever hit 30 home runs in a season into the hall while we’re at it, jeez.

I really like Mattingly, but there’s no way he should be a HOFer.

Per Murphy, is there another 2 time MVP not in the Hall? That’s not meant as being sarcastic, but a true curiosity. Guys like Murphy are the ones being hurt by the steriod era. The numbers are so hard to figure out now as far as who has Hall of Fame career numbers and who doesn’t.

Per Murphy, is there another 2 time MVP not in the Hall? That's not meant as being sarcastic, but a true curiosity. Guys like Murphy are the ones being hurt by the steriod era. The numbers are so hard to figure out now as far as who has Hall of Fame career numbers and who doesn't.

I could be wrong but I think Maris was a 2 time mvp and hes definitly not a hall of famer.

I could be wrong but I think Maris was a 2 time mvp and hes definitly not a hall of famer.

After a quick search, it appears you’re correct. In the modern era, say 1970 to present, also Frank Thomas and Juan Gonzalez have 2 and are not automatic HOFers in my opinion.

Baseball HOF.

Dale Murphy = yes

Don Mattingly = no

Mark McGwire = no

all the other names mentioned in this thread require more careful analysis.

After a quick search, it appears you're correct. In the modern era, say 1970 to present, also Frank Thomas and Juan Gonzalez have 2 and are not automatic HOFers in my opinion.

I think Frank Thomas is a no brainer Hall of Famer. In his prime there was not a more feared hitter in the league than the Big Hurt, maybe Ken Griffey Jr. Juan Gonzalez has absolutly no shot at the hall of fame. If he makes it I am totally giving up on the Baseball Hall of Fame, since it is becoming more of a joke each year.

Baseball HOF.

Dale Murphy = yes

Don Mattingly = no

Mark McGwire = no

all the other names mentioned in this thread require more careful analysis.

During Murphy’s prime he was definitly a hall of famer and quite possibly the most feared hitter of the 80s in the National League. The only problem was that his prime did not last too long. And when Murphy declined he declined terribly. I believe he is borderline at best.

[QUOTE=NJNiner12;418747]During Murphy’s prime he was definitly a hall of famer and quite possibly the most feared hitter of the 80s in the National League. The only problem was that his prime did not last too long. And when Murphy declined he declined terribly. I believe he is borderline at best.[/QUOTE]

pretty much agree. But “the most feared hitter of the 80’s in the National League” is noteworthy, in my opinion.

and just so there are no assumptions here, I despise the Braves.

[B]Frank Thomas[/B] and Juan Gonzalez have 2 and are not automatic HOFers in my opinion.

I know I’m a little biased, but you have to be kidding me about Frank Thomas! For about a decade he was arguably the most dominant offensive player in the game. Look up his stats. The guy hit 500+ HRs and drove in over 1700 runs for crying out loud, all while batting over .300 for his career, wtf do you want??

I think Frank Thomas is a no brainer Hall of Famer..

It amazes me that anyone could think otherwise. And he got all those numbers cleanly, he offered to take blood tests multiple times.