The Winston-Salem Dash?

Wow, what a nickname for the minor league team formerly known as the Warthogs.

They are getting crucified on the W-S Journal message board for this naming decision.

Link: [URL=http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/dec/04/warthogs-be-renamed-dash/][B][U]New stadium may not be ready for opening day[/U][/B][/URL], JournalNow.com

Spirits, then Warthogs, and now DASH!!! WTF. I hope all the people that have been buying up season tickets will mail the owner and tell him they won’t show up until the name is changed. That’s beyond terrible.

[IMG]http://media.gatewaync.com/wsj/images/2008/12/04/Dash-web.JPG[/IMG] Wow, what a nickname for the minor league team formerly known as the Warthogs.

They are getting crucified on the W-S Journal message board for this naming decision.

Link: New stadium may not be ready for opening day, JournalNow.com

Why’d they drop the Warthogs name?

That’s as bad as the Greenville Drive and GRRRowl.

Really? that is retarded.

The team from The Dash is called The Dash

There hasn’t been a good original team name since the Diamondbacks.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;367408]There hasn’t been a good original team name since the Diamondbacks.[/QUOTE]
Personally, I loved the Greensboro Bats as a name. Casey the Bat was a cool mascot.

Felt, I guess if you get a new stadium, you have to have a new name. As dumb as the Warthogs name was, Wally the Warthog was known around the Triad.

Personally, I loved the Greensboro Bats as a name. Casey the Bat was a cool mascot.

Felt, I guess if you get a new stadium, you have to have a new name. As dumb as the Warthogs name was, Wally the Warthog was known around the Triad.

Yah, I loved Bats games as a kid. I remember seeing Jeter play.

While I like the green Grasshoppers uniforms, the new Guilford is the embodiment of lame compared to Casey the Bat.

When I was younger my hometown area got a Minor League team, I remember everyone hating the name originally, Renegades…looking back on it and the other names that are chosen, it was actually a very good team name.

I’ve always been partial to the Mudcats.

Everett Aquasox ftw

[QUOTE=J Felt;367406][B]Why’d they drop the Warthogs name?[/B]

That’s as bad as the Greenville Drive and GRRRowl.[/QUOTE]

to sell more merchandise.

Side note: the stadium is going to cost $16 million more than originally estimated. Ouch.

I liked the name “Boll Weevils” for the team in Kannapolis from 1996-2000.

Any Biscuit fans?

am i the only one who actually kinda likes the name? i think its clever. i’ve always enjoyed going to spirit/warthogs games and with the new stadium, i’m sure my parents will be purchasing season tix again.

There is no “dash” inbetween Winston-Salem…it’s an f’ing HYPEN.

[QUOTE=jfickett;367428]am i the only one who actually kinda likes the name?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Saw the Spirit and Warthogs play many times.

Had absolutely no problem with Warthog name

now the Dash ?? whatever. Kinda strange, but many teams have even stranger names. Still remember when the Mudcats and Crawdads started as team, no one I knew could comprehend why a team would use those names. I always kinda liked 'em…especially Mudcats.

The larger issue IMO

---- is that I will greatly miss Ernie Shore Field. It been one of my favorite NC baseball parks, along with the original Durham Bulls park (the one from the movie).

Any Biscuit fans?

I always thought that was the coolest mascot ever.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;367434]
The larger issue IMO

---- is that I will greatly miss Ernie Shore Field. It been one of my favorite NC baseball parks, along with the original Durham Bulls park (the one from the movie).[/QUOTE]

You could go watch the Deacs play there…

I was at the end of HS when the Hickory Crawdads came out, & I lived in Statesville. I didn’t go to any games, but I bought a T-shirt for my brother & I.
I remember the Piedmont Boll Weevils who became the Kannapolis Intimidators.
But I can’t believe WS is becoming the Dash. I think the Warthogs was kind of original. What’s next, a team called the Semi-Colons?