this hurts

I am working in Charletson all week, and I discovered Chaleston Southern has football and the stadium is nextdoor to my hotel. They were conference champs too.

I doubt many memories are formed when those kids rush the field.

http://csusports.athleticsite.com/images/2006FBGuide.pdf

Founded in 1964. They currently have approximately 3,000 students.

I’d rather spend the $250k on a study that would explain to me why a small school like CSU can afford football but we can’t.

I’m really getting sick of Charlotte’s leadership!!!

I am working in Charletson all week, and I discovered Chaleston Southern has football and the stadium is nextdoor to my hotel. They were conference champs too.

http://csusports.athleticsite.com/images/2006FBGuide.pdf

Please metro you know that this is just another program that started at the EXACT RIGHT TIME.

Otherwise they would not have lasted this long.

[QUOTE=metro;202094]I am working in Charletson all week, and I discovered Chaleston Southern has football and the stadium is nextdoor to my hotel. They were conference champs too.

http://csusports.athleticsite.com/images/2006FBGuide.pdf[/QUOTE]

How’s the basketball program down there?

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;202103]How’s the basketball program down there?[/QUOTE]

who cares? whats your point?

Ohio St. is #1 football and basketball this week.

focus on one- does not hurt the other…urban legend.

A10 football

Massachusetts 8 0 1.000 11 1 .917
Maine 5 3 .625 6 5 .545
New Hampshire 5 3 .625 9 3 .750
Northeastern 4 4 .500 5 6 .455
Rhode Island 2 6 .250 4 7 .364
Hofstra 1 7 .125 2 9 .182
James Madison 7 1 .875 9 3 .750
Villanova 5 3 .625 6 5 .545
Towson 4 4 .500 7 4 .636
Delaware 3 5 .375 5 6 .455
Richmond 3 5 .375 6 5 .545
William & Mary 1 7 .125 3 8 .273

hmm,
UMASS, RI, Hofstra, Nova, Richmond…they all do OK with hoops.

I mean does it really hurt? I am well past hurt, i am now on “astonished”, next stop “not shocked”, will finally end at “I don’t give a shit about Charlotte”.

Anyways does it really hurt metro? I mean Pembroke is getting a team, Wofford has a team, Davidson has a team, JC Smith has a team, NC A&T has a team, Campbell is getting a team, ODU is getting a team, Shaw got a team, please stop me.

Everyone but UNC Charlotte, i guess we are just that more freaking smart than everyone else, smarter than Yale, MIT, harvard, all of them, HA Jokes on you Havard, we don’t have football and you have to put up with it!

[QUOTE=metro;202104]who cares? whats your point?

Ohio St. is #1 football and basketball this week.

focus on one- does not hurt the other…urban legend.[/QUOTE]
Ohio State has 60,000 students, ridiculous alumni giving rates, they own the sports landscape in their state, and they have unlimited funds for athletics. We have none of that. I’m not against Charlotte getting a football team - I’d love nothing more than to see us get one - but at least compare apples to apples.

Ohio State has 60,000 students, ridiculous alumni giving rates, they own the sports landscape in their state, and they have unlimited funds for athletics. We have none of that. I'm not against Charlotte getting a football team - I'd love nothing more than to see us get one - but at least compare apples to apples.

that still doesn’t answer why a school that is 1/7th our size can have football and basketball.

that still doesn't answer why a school that is 1/7th our size can have football and basketball.

A state supported school at that. It’s no less than a complete and utter embarrassment to our school that UNCP will have a football program before us.

edit Ok, UNCP is about 1/4 our size. My point remains valid. :tongue:

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;202123]Ohio State has 60,000 students, ridiculous alumni giving rates, they own the sports landscape in their state, and they have unlimited funds for athletics. We have none of that. I’m not against Charlotte getting a football team - I’d love nothing more than to see us get one - but at least compare apples to apples.[/QUOTE]

tf, you are smart enough to read thru this thread completely. I did not make any case, on the contrary, Lefty injected “how is thier hoops program” essentially inferring having football hurts basketball. That is a strawman argument and I simply pointed an example out to him. You want more examples? I gave more, look at the A10 post after it. To answer your reply, I did compare apples to apples. The truth is football does not hurt hoops, he is just looking to argue with anything I say (ie: MK, NA). I could cure cancer and the 3 of them would be against it.

[QUOTE=Hollywood;202129]A state supported school at that. It’s no less than a complete and utter embarrassment to our school that UNCP will have a football program before us.

edit Ok, UNCP is about 1/4 our size. My point remains valid. :tongue:[/QUOTE]

astonishing…read UNCP’s football campaign website…
here is the link
http://www.uncp.edu/advancement/firstandten/

quote from webpage:
UNCP has identified a very real need within our campus community, our city, county, state and region, that has been vocalized by alumni, students, community leaders, and friends, and that was approved by our Board of Trustees in December of 2004, as well as the UNC Board of Governors in April 2005– to undertake the re-establishment of a football program at UNCP in 2007. The process that led the University to this conclusion was not undertaken lightly, and included a thorough investigation led by the Department of Athletics on behalf of Chancellor Allen C. Meadors. The comprehensive investigation was undertaken at the request of the University Board of Trustees over a 6 month period and included: a Feasibility Study performed by the Department of Athletics and an unbiased consultant engaged by the University;

the derivative impact of a football program and well rounded athletic program will be evident in the
recruiting of new students who may be seeking a more complete university experience;
the retention of current students who anticipate renewed excitement and a greater sense of community on campus;
a greater recognition within our region as a more attractive alternative for high school scholar-athletes;
the building of new community/university alliances, and an increased economic impact in the region;
the increased connection of alumni with their university;
the creation of an campus environment that will promote faculty involvement and enhance new faculty recruitment;
the establishment of traditions that underscore student and alumni involvement;
the possibilities for additional student-centered programs to thrive in the spotlight generated by a football program; and ultimately,
the growth of UNCP as a more rounded, more complete, more recognizable peer institution among other universities known and respected throughout the state of North Carolina.

If you do find a cure, let me know.:tumble:

It feels like our university is becoming more and more like UNCG everyday.

Hasn’t UNCG been looking into football? If they get a program before we do, I just may disassociate myself from this place altogether.

[QUOTE=JaMiNNiNeR;202137]
It feels like our university is becoming more and more like UNCG everyday.
[/QUOTE]

UNCG knows their place. You don’t see them running around joining a high level basketball conference like we did with CUSA. They do exactly what the powers that be tell them to do.

Hmmmmmmmmmm… I guess you’re correct. We are getting more like them every day. We are now.

Let’s compare apples and oranges.

One school is near last in UNC funding, the other school gets zero in UNC funding.
One school has 21,500+ students, the other has 5,000-6,000
One school has an estimated 70,000 alumni, the other has an estimated 35,000 living alumni.

One school doesn’t have football.

The other is playing for the ACC championship on Saturday.

the derivative impact of a football program and well rounded athletic program will be evident in the recruiting of new students who may be seeking a more complete university experience; the retention of current students who anticipate renewed excitement and a greater sense of community on campus; a greater recognition within our region as a more attractive alternative for high school scholar-athletes; the building of new community/university alliances, and an increased economic impact in the region; the increased connection of alumni with their university; the creation of an campus environment that will promote faculty involvement and enhance new faculty recruitment; the establishment of traditions that underscore student and alumni involvement; the possibilities for additional student-centered programs to thrive in the spotlight generated by a football program; and ultimately, the growth of UNCP as a more rounded, more complete, more recognizable peer institution among other universities known and respected throughout the state of North Carolina.

Man, talk about one helluva initiative. Sounds like those folks understand the overwhelming benefits of adding football and are willing to make it happen. All of those points are ones we could certainly stand to benefit from as well. But oh well, we have a better basketball program and that’s all that matters. :rolleyes:

I had posted that link to UNCP campaign a while ago and the one thing catching my attention is the support they expect for building a stadium and facilities just says something about alumns. I [B]KNOW [/B]that Charlotte has more alumn, most likely in a higher income bracket. If they can pull this off I know we can. So no more comments about a lack of supporting alumn!

Time Warner Cable will be showing all of the high school championship games for the first time.

These efforts are sponsored by BB&T, someone else, and:

[B][SIZE=6]UNCP![/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]What an excellent idea. [/SIZE]