North Dakota @ Air Force
Northern Arizona @ Santa Clara
Portland @ Hawaii
Wednesday, March 16
Tennessee Tech @ Western Michigan
Iona @ Valparaiso
Oral Roberts @ Southern Methodist
Idaho @ San Francisco

Do you have to pay to play in the CBI or the College Insider Tourney?

Our policy was, and I hope still is, NCAA, NIT or nothing.

I don’t see us every paying to play in a tournament. This isn’t travel ball where you pay an entry fee. Either you are wanted for something or your season is over.

I’m pretty sure we ran into this last year Bo. Our school refuses to pay to play, which negates CBI & CIT.

And our philosophy should be NCAA or nothing, CC.

The NIT is still mildly respectable and viewed, so it is worth it to me, but nothing to brag about really. I can see bragging very slightly that you won the NIT on back to back years or something but that’s it.

But yes, the CBI and whatever else are worthless and a no go.

148 out of 345 teams now play in post season tournaments. That is just under 43% of all DI. This is getting almost as bad as the bowl games.

The NIT is actually not as easy to get into as it was in recent years because of the conference regular season winners, I think we all saw that in 2010. I think if we make the NIT it at least shows we are one of the top 75 programs in the country, sure not an NCAA bid but not totally crappy either.

If nothing else, the NIT gives your team experience playing in the “lose and go home” mindset, which hopefully pays dividends the following year.

I am fine with playing in the NIT, but the “other” tournaments are stupid. If your season does not qualify you for the NCAA or NIT, how do you find fans that want more games? I know this year I was ready to stick a fork in it.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:5, topic:25146”]I’m pretty sure we ran into this last year Bo. Our school refuses to pay to play, which negates CBI & CIT.

And our philosophy should be NCAA or nothing, CC.[/quote]

I always thought we turned down the NIT last year to keep Lutz from going Brian Gregory.

[quote=“Nugget, post:9, topic:25146”]If nothing else, the NIT gives your team experience playing in the “lose and go home” mindset, which hopefully pays dividends the following year.

I am fine with playing in the NIT, but the “other” tournaments are stupid.[/quote]

Don’t those other tournys do the same thing you just said?

Remember the NIT cut their field from 40 to 32 teams a few years ago and added autobids for lower level conf regular season champs. That’s 16 to 22 teams a year that used to be in the NIT that were cut out of postseason and why the other tournys started.

There are 24 teams in the CIT. I don’t care who you are, winning a tourny with 24 teams is nothing to poo poo, much less one were all the teams are pretty successful. It will be a nice accomplishment for the school that wins.

These were the top ten teams in the CIT and their RPI.

#54 Marshall 22-11
#70 Iona 22-11
#71 Valparaiso 23-11
#91 East Carolina 18–15
#93 East Tenn State 22-11
#103 Portland 20–11
#105 Rider 23–10
#108 Air Force 15–14
#112 Northern Iowa 19–13
#116 Furman 20–9

Not really sexy names really but all solid successful squads.

It’s only 30k dollars to host, sell tickets and you make money. We lost in OT but I think that’s a bargin to get the players experience in a postseason elimination tourny (just like you said), and get the fans out to the arena one more time and behind the program in March. It was a fun game and still worth it IMO.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:11, topic:25146”][quote=“Nugget, post:9, topic:25146”]If nothing else, the NIT gives your team experience playing in the “lose and go home” mindset, which hopefully pays dividends the following year.

I am fine with playing in the NIT, but the “other” tournaments are stupid.[/quote]

Don’t those other tournys do the same thing you just said?

Remember the NIT cut their field from 40 to 32 teams a few years ago and added autobids for lower level conf regular season champs. That’s 16 to 22 teams a year that used to be in the NIT that were cut out of postseason and why the other tournys started.

There are 24 teams in the CIT. I don’t care who you are, winning a tourny with 24 teams is nothing to poo poo, much less one were all the teams are pretty successful. It will be a nice accomplishment for the school that wins.

These were the top ten teams in the CIT and their RPI.

#54 Marshall 22-11
#70 Iona 22-11
#71 Valparaiso 23-11
#91 East Carolina 15–15
#93 East Tenn State 22-11
#103 Portland 20–11
#105 Rider 23–10
#108 Air Force 15–14
#112 Northern Iowa 19–13
#116 Furman 20–9

Not really sexy names really but all solid successful squads.

It’s only 30k dollars to host, sell tickets and you make money. We lost in OT but I think that’s a bargin to get the players experience in a postseason elimination tourny (just like you said), and get the fans out to the arena one more time and behind the program in March. It was a fun game and still worth it IMO.[/quote]

FTFY, if you’re going to bring up RPI, you can’s include non-D1 wins.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:11, topic:25146”][quote=“Nugget, post:9, topic:25146”]If nothing else, the NIT gives your team experience playing in the “lose and go home” mindset, which hopefully pays dividends the following year.

Don’t those other tournys do the same thing you just said?[/quote]

Yeah, but why the hell pay to play? If you are going CBI that means your season pretty much didn’t go the way you wanted it to go so might as well start getting ready for next season.

Judy Rose thought we might win the CIT or CBI, so she kept us out. She hates seeing us be successful at anything.

Why not? It’s only 30k dollars, and we probably made money last night. We are currently in the middle of a fundraising campain for a basketball practice facility. Any game where we can attract attention to the program and fans out is a positive. Same for any program.

If you are going CBI that means your season pretty much didn't go the way you wanted it to go so might as well start getting ready for next season.

If you go deep in those tournys you get another 20-30 days of practice depending on when your conf tourny ended. How does that not help your program “get ready for next season” ?

I agree with you on the practice time, but if you paid 30k to play this thing, you sure didn’t make it all back last night, and I doubt when you add in the expenses of soon to be travel, meals, etc. they’ll be in the negative.

Why not? It’s only 30k dollars, and we probably made money last night. We are currently in the middle of a fundraising campain for a basketball practice facility. Any game where we can attract attention to the program and fans out is a positive. Same for any program.

If you are going CBI that means your season pretty much didn't go the way you wanted it to go so might as well start getting ready for next season.

If you go deep in those tournys you get another 20-30 days of practice depending on when your conf tourny ended. How does that not help your program “get ready for next season” ?[/quote]

I get you on the extra practice time but still stupid to pay for the extra practice time. Team next season will be different. Might as well practice with that team for free next season.

If you go deep in those tournys you get another 20-30 days of practice depending on when your conf tourny ended. How does that not help your program “get ready for next season” ?[/quote]

It comes down to philosophy. Front seat or back seat, which one do I take sort of thing.

Not sure how you made money when only 3k people showed up? And alot of that was students paying $5? It was a loss, money wise, most probably.

[quote=“J Felt, post:14, topic:25146”]Judy Rose thought we might win the CIT or CBI, so she kept us out. She hates seeing us be successful at anything.[/quote] Please engage sarcasm font for this type of post.