Tigers' Galarraga screwed out of perfect game

Okay, so this was brutal. Tigers pitcher has a perfect game thru 8.2, and loses it on a terrible call at 1st base.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100602/SPORTS02/100602063/1321/Tigers-Galarraga-denied-perfect-game-on-blown-call

Umpires are clearly human, but this is up there with the blown call in the 1985 World Series by Don Denkinger.

horrible call. no excuse for that one, it wasn’t even that close!!!

The only way you make that call is if you know 100% he was safe, anything close should’ve been an out. You don’t decide a perfect game like that.

Worst call in the history of baseball.

No way in hell does this man deserve to have a job tomorrow morning.

f***ing shameful.

Edit: take that back. After thinking about it… that’s a bit harsh.

Send his ass back to A ball and let him work his way up again. There are lots of guys in the minors that would love a chance… and they would get that call right. Give one of them a shot.

It wasn’t even a bang-bang play, either. Watch Donald’s (the runner) reaction. He even knew he was out.

After having 18 perfect games in about 120 years, we almost had a 3rd in roughly a month. Horrible call.

At least the umpire admitted it was a terrible call and apologized. Wonder if they’ll overturn the call and give the guy his perfect game? Overturning the call wouldn’t screw up the game as it was the last out.

Anybody else think Gallaraga bobbled the ball???

Not excusing the call, b/c that wasn’t cited as the reason, just saying.

[quote=“hootie, post:9, topic:23379”]Anybody else think Gallaraga bobbled the ball? ???

Not excusing the call, b/c that wasn’t cited as the reason, just saying.[/quote]

I thought that too (even though I thought he had it) and I was hoping the offical scorer noticed it becasuse he could rule it an error saving the No-No… but no dice I guess.

This isn’t quite as bad as Don Denkinger, but it is close

Ken Griffey Jr. retired.

[quote=“hootie, post:9, topic:23379”]Anybody else think Gallaraga bobbled the ball? ???

Not excusing the call, b/c that wasn’t cited as the reason, just saying.[/quote] Yes. Give him an error and a no hitter. People who want to string up the ump by the gonads, consider this question. What if the runner were barely safe, and the ump called him out just to preserve the perfect game? Would you be OK with that? Ump called what he saw, which considering the circumstances, took more courage than most people have. He knows he screwed up and admits it. What else do you want? Even the pitcher says he isn’t angry. Get over it.

From JoPo… The best writing Niner out there (Sorry Utter, but the dude is one of, if no the best baseball writer there is)

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/06/02/the-lesson-of-jim-joyce/#more-3517?eref=sihp

I was going to post the same thing.

[quote=“s9er, post:13, topic:23379”]From JoPo… The best writing Niner out there (Sorry Utter, but the dude is one of, if no the best baseball writer there is)

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/06/02/the-lesson-of-jim-joyce/#more-3517?eref=sihp[/quote]

good article.

No way it was the worst call in the history of baseball. Maybe the worst during the regular season. Denkinger’s call was even more obviously wrong, and cost the Cardinals the World Series in 1985.

This call didn’t affect the outcome of a game, much less a season.

[quote=“Tenniner, post:16, topic:23379”]No way it was the worst call in the history of baseball. Maybe the worst during the regular season. Denkinger’s call was even more obviously wrong, and cost the Cardinals the World Series in 1985.

This call didn’t affect the outcome of a game, much less a season.[/quote]

Correct. The ump missed the call, end of it. He admitted it, classy move to go apologize.

[quote=“s9er, post:13, topic:23379”]From JoPo… The best writing Niner out there (Sorry Utter, but the dude is one of, if no the best baseball writer there is)

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/06/02/the-lesson-of-jim-joyce/#more-3517?eref=sihp[/quote] Oh man. What a great article.

Selig is still mulling over whether or not to overrule the blown call. I say he needs to overrule the call because it would satisfy ALL parties and quite frankly is justice.

[quote=“TheAngryDolphininer, post:19, topic:23379”]Selig is still mulling over whether or not to overrule the blown call. I say he needs to overrule the call because it would satisfy ALL parties and quite frankly is justice.[/quote] True. Baseball doesn’t allow the use of replays for that type of call, but this is a once-in-a- lifetime situation. Very tough decision.