TIME FOR NEW BLOOD - SEND THEM ALL PACKING

We have lost to two terrible Rice teams two years in a row. Absolutely unacceptable.

plus, we could get him. he interviewed at a couple cusa schools last season.

2k had a really solid suggestion with associate coach Eric Musselman at LSU. He just got there this season. Tons of HC experience including the NBA.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1988-present Overall Coaching Record: 566-340 (.625 pct.)
NBA record: 108-138 (.439 pct.)
CBA record: 270-122 (.688 pct.)
USBL record: 53-3 (.946 pct.)
NBA D-League record: 77-30 (.719 pct.)
Pro teams coached:

• Rapid City Thrillers, 1989-1995 (CBA)
  • Florida Sharks, 1995-1996 (USBL)
  • Florida/West Palm Beach Dogs, 1996-1997 (CBA)
  • Golden State Warriors, 2002-2004 (NBA)
  • Sacramento Kings, 2006-2007 (NBA)
  • Reno Bighorns, 2010-2011 (NBADL)
  • Los Angeles D-Fenders, 2011-2012 (NBADL)
    National teams coached:
  • Dominican Nat’l Team: 2010-2011
  • U.S. 2011 Team, Adidas Global Experience (2010)
  • Team China, Adidas Global Experience (2009)
  • Venezuela national basketball team (2011- )

Would love to bring him and Moton in to interview.

Moton now has the 3rd longest home winning streak in D1 ball. Its against MEAC teams, but still. His teams continue to be competitive this season despite losing that PG that they were so dependent on. I think hus name was Pookie ? (seriously.)

[quote=“Losing Is Not Okay, post:23, topic:29344”]2k had a really solid suggestion with associate coach Erik Musselman at LSU. He just got there this seadon. Tons of HC experience including the NBA.

Would love to bring him and Moton in to interview.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. Almost of us dislike Judy, she could gain back a lot of fans with a good hire.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:19, topic:29344”][quote=“Ninerfan2012, post:16, topic:29344”]The head coach of NCCU (can’t remember his name off the top of my head), would be my top pick.

Guy completely turned around a 5-10 win basketball program into a contender, instituted a total culture change. Something we need.[/quote]

levelle moton. i would love to get him also. sounds like he is a good recruiter and a strong personality, both of which i like.[/quote]

Hearing how he talks and how other talks about him…he should be our #1 realistic get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfaZhQgk0mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRFu_eqBEvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNwVhPnIPBI

"Toughest five are the ones that play"
How refreshing would that be to hear?

Although, he has sprit so he might not be the right “personality fit” for our athletic department :wink:

Edit:
The last link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=herSI8KwX2Q

1st guy I’d call is Rick Stansbury. He retired, took a couple years off and is now back at Texas A&M.

I’d call Darrin Horn too… He was decideLy average at So Carolina, but was really good at WKU.

If we go current head coach, in addition to Moton, I’d talk to Billy Donlon at Wright State.

Sadly we go cheap I’m sure. Get the #3 assistant from Rutgers

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:18, topic:29344”][quote=“s9er, post:17, topic:29344”][quote=“ninerfan55, post:15, topic:29344”][quote=“Niner National, post:14, topic:29344”][quote=“Int’l 49er, post:11, topic:29344”]By the looks of it Major and company are on the way out so my vote would be:

1. Bobby Hurley…http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/hurley_bobby
  2. Brian Wardle…http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3754213
  3. Chris Mooney…http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209707304[/quote]why would Mooney leave the a10 to come here?[/quote]

not saying he would but if i had to list some reasons, bigger market, better facilities, better fan support and a better program historically(i said historically). that being said, he has turned down bigger jobs than us i believe so just forget mooney. i would love hurley. there are a lot of good coaches at smaller programs, in north carolina and beyond, who would be realistic options for us.[/quote]

#1. Mooney makes 700k
#2. Better fan support? This is the craziest thing I’ve seen in ages on this site. Our attendance has been garbage for several years, and it’s only getting worse.
#3. Why would anyone leave a good basketball league to go to a CUSA team that hasn’t been to an NCAA in 10 years.

Why not just get Shaka Smart while you are at it?[/quote]

im not saying we have good fan support but we do when we win. even when richmond wins, their fans dont come out. as i stated in my first post, i dont think he would come here but we still probably have better support than them. my theoretical argument for it is based on history, facilities and again, fan support.[/quote]

UR regularly sells out. I live 5 mins from campus.

Hope we can get a coach that emphasizes fundamentals and builds a team not just a coach that collects players.

[quote=“Losing Is Not Okay, post:23, topic:29344”]2k had a really solid suggestion with associate coach Eric Musselman at LSU. He just got there this season. Tons of HC experience including the NBA.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1988-present Overall Coaching Record: 566-340 (.625 pct.)
NBA record: 108-138 (.439 pct.)
CBA record: 270-122 (.688 pct.)
USBL record: 53-3 (.946 pct.)
NBA D-League record: 77-30 (.719 pct.)
Pro teams coached:

• Rapid City Thrillers, 1989-1995 (CBA)
  • Florida Sharks, 1995-1996 (USBL)
  • Florida/West Palm Beach Dogs, 1996-1997 (CBA)
  • Golden State Warriors, 2002-2004 (NBA)
  • Sacramento Kings, 2006-2007 (NBA)
  • Reno Bighorns, 2010-2011 (NBADL)
  • Los Angeles D-Fenders, 2011-2012 (NBADL)
    National teams coached:
  • Dominican Nat’l Team: 2010-2011
  • U.S. 2011 Team, Adidas Global Experience (2010)
  • Team China, Adidas Global Experience (2009)
  • Venezuela national basketball team (2011- )[/quote]

He was also at Arizona State a few years as an assistant before coming to LSU this year. He’s very intriguing to me.

I think a good choice would be to bring in a Charlotte grad or even a former coach like Melvin Watkins with assistants like Dinkins and Henry. When Melvin retires another one of our guys takes over as head coach. If Major had been very successful he probably would be leaving anyway so bring in our own people who will want to stay if they’re successful. The last thing that we want is a coach with no ties to our school who has a big year and is gone the next. Watkins left after a good run but he has learned a hard lesson from it and would never do it again. Lutz talked with some schools after a good run and got on Judy’s bad side and got fired which is also a lesson learned. All of us would die to have the success that we once had under Lutz so he could be another choice of our own for coach. Besides Lutz and Watkins have had great experiences in recruiting different parts of the country since they left. I don’t think that Judy is going to pay a huge salary with having to pay Major also so why not bring in one of our own who would be happy to coach at a less than market salary until Major is paid off. Sometimes just using common sense is the best way to hire your coach and we have had two good ones who would love to come home again. They would also be better than any Judy could hire that would come and stay.

Didn’t we structure Major’s contract so that it was MUCH more favorable to us in the event of a departure? I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think it would be “Lutz Buyout 2.0.”

If major were to be fired, and never go into coaching again (given his health this is possible) it would be Lutz 2.0

You sure about that, we had some discussions in the shoutbox that the contract is void if he can’t coach after 90 days…

You sure about that, we had some discussions in the shoutbox that the contract is void if he can’t coach after 90 days…[/quote]Key part in the contract is “all” coaching duties, right now that isn’t being done. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, don’t know of 1 person that thinks Major will return to the bench.

[quote=“ninerID, post:12, topic:29344”]Bobby Hurley would be very very interesting[/quote]Can we afford to buy out a HC though?

I don’t think we can afford not to. We don’t need to be training wheels again

I don’t think we can afford not to. We don’t need to be training wheels again[/quote]Can always look to a guy that had mid-major success previously that didn’t fair well at P5 program. s9er has mentioned Rick Stansbury or Darrin Horn as names.

clt says there is a assistant coach at UNC raliegh that knows the area well.

Hahaha, would Lutz come back here? Secondly, would Judy hire Lutz back after firing him, basically admitting a perceived mistake of hers?

I swear I recall reading about Moton before. It’s almost as if we had this conversation last year. :rolleyes:

Anyway, at the time I really liked what I saw in him and thought “Great, if Major is still here a year from now, someone else is gonna scoop this guy.” For the record, Im intrigued by him and Hurley, and think both would be willing to take the job.

I think we should ask Villa 7 for a refund.