Time to fire Hibbs?

Stem. I voted yes. I think the program could use some new life.

I voted “No” because I do not think we can do a real upgrade now. We should focus our efforts on finishing in the top 3 in conference in Men’s Basketball, Football, Men’s Soccer, Women’s Basketball in that order, then we can address Baseball. Can you tell I am not a baseball fan?

Yes. He’s not getting the job done.

if it’s going to cost us money to do so, i would say no. i want us to have all the funds available for men’s basketball and football.

Very true. But I’m guessing we get someone younger and therefore cheaper and hope for the best.

Very true. But I’m guessing we get someone younger and therefore cheaper and hope for the best.[/quote]Yeah, I imagine we go for a young, up and comer. That’s typically what Judy looks for.

I would say no, mainly because I think we are improving. However, this season was somewhat disappointing (from a W/L standpoint) so I could see it happening.

Baseball fits the narrative perfectly: Mediocre

According to what people have told me, the athletic director seems to show greater interest in football, basketball, soccer and volleyball. So I guess I have to ask. Does she have grounds to fire him? or does just go off what some people tell her about baseball?

I voted no. The season was somewhat of a disappointment, but I expected us to be in 6-8 range in C-USA and we finished 8th. We were picked 10th and last in some publications.

We made a small step forward this season. The offense went from near the bottom of the league last year to one of the tops in C-USA this season. Pitching is still around the bottom. Defense also has improved.

I expect a major jump this season with our 1st C-USA recruiting class being Seniors and a “Top 50 recruiting class” coming in. If we see minimal improvement, my vote will change next year at this time.

I am the biggest of Hibbs homers, and I’m proud to have that reputation.

Who are you going to hire at a similar price point, and get half the production he’s gotten? If you can’t think of a name, you should really consider that when discussing this issue. Hibbs does not earn close to what his peers do financially.

He turned down a huge offer at his alma mater to stay here. And he deserves that money. His alma mater is Wichita State by the way.

Say what you will about the scandal. If you all know the intimate details fire away. If you don’t know the intimate details, don’t use it as evidence.

As a result of that scandal, we have had to rebuild, almost like we hired a new coach. Furthermore, we were recovering from YEARS in one of the worst conferences in division 1 to joining a borderline top 5 league.

He continues to have facilities that although they may be newer, are not on par with what his conference mates and local peers have. A quick drive down 77 to Winthrop and you will see just how far behind we are, even with the Hayes.

If you would have told me we were going to go .500 this year, I’d have laughed in your face. It is really difficult to build pitching depth, and that’s our biggest struggle. It’s like building an offensive line in football. It just takes time. We needed 5 pitchers to dominate the A10. You need more than that in this league. That takes time. Our 1-9 lineup can hang with anybody in our really good league. Our pitchers struggle.

This program is going in the right direction.

Yes but I can’t see it happening anytime soon. It’s frustrating to see people say we don’t have the money to hire someone better. La Tech spent $25K more per year than what Hibbs receives and stole a very good coach from right down the road at Campbell.

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/greg_goff_903912.html

Baseball is number 3 in my book behind football and basketball but I would still like to see consistent winning seasons in CUSA.

Women’s basketball is already way over-funded when compared to the other sports, and it hurts the rest of our programs. Most of our peers do NOT overvalue women’s basketball like we do.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:12, topic:30364”]Yes but I can’t see it happening anytime soon. It’s frustrating to see people say we don’t have the money to hire someone better. La Tech spent $25K more per year than what Hibbs receives and stole a very good coach from right down the road at Campbell.

Baseball is number 3 in my book behind football and basketball but I would still like to see consistent winning seasons in CUSA.
[/quote]

Baseball is Number 3 in my book too and I also think we should devote more resources to the sport.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:12, topic:30364”]Yes but I can’t see it happening anytime soon. It’s frustrating to see people say we don’t have the money to hire someone better. La Tech spent $25K more per year than what Hibbs receives and stole a very good coach from right down the road at Campbell.

Baseball is number 3 in my book behind football and basketball but I would still like to see consistent winning seasons in CUSA.[/quote]

It will be interesting following what goes on at LaTech. He has loaded up with JUCOs in his 1st 2 years (I counted 27 on the roster) and it has worked out well for him this year.

we lost to NC A&T this year. I have a hard time believing we are heading in the right direction.

We won 10 conference games in 2014, 11 in 2015 and 12 in 2016. Don’t mistake that for a trend, that’s simply normalizing toward a better position of mediocre.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:10, topic:30364”]I voted no. The season was somewhat of a disappointment, but I expected us to be in 6-8 range in C-USA and we finished 8th. We were picked 10th and last in some publications.

We made a small step forward this season. The offense went from near the bottom of the league last year to one of the tops in C-USA this season. Pitching is still around the bottom. Defense also has improved.

I expect a major jump this season with our 1st C-USA recruiting class being Seniors and a “Top 50 recruiting class” coming in. If we see minimal improvement, my vote will change next year at this time.[/quote]

I agree. This is basically what I was trying to say in my post above, but you did a better job of it (going into more detail).

[quote=“ninerID, post:16, topic:30364”]we lost to NC A&T this year. I have a hard time believing we are heading in the right direction.

We won 10 conference games in 2014, 11 in 2015 and 12 in 2016. Don’t mistake that for a trend, that’s simply normalizing toward a better position of mediocre.[/quote]

We also won 4-5 games against top 25-30 opponents. If you actually watch the team, you will know we ARE getting better. Maybe not as quickly as we would like but we are heading in the right direction.

Edit: One other note is that we only had 3 seniors on this season’s roster and only one of those was a starter/regular contributor (Gallelo) and we have a top 50 class coming in next year (IIRC).

Well, as I see the situation, we are recovering from time wasted in the A10 and a major incident which had nothing to do with Hibbs.
If you are recovering from an illness, but not yet up to full health, you do not fire the doctor.

Before anyone says Hibbs is responsible for the hazing fiasco, remind yourself that there was an extensive investigation and figure out what our AD and Chancellor would have done if Hibbs had been implicated in any way.

Baseball is always going to lag if we don’t give ourselves practice facilities on par with other top programs in the conference.

The stadium is great, one of the best in the conference IMO, but we need on campus practice facilities that are better than the batting cage my little league organization had 20 years ago.