Tips

Slow summer thread start. Does anyone think it’s stupid for more and more places to put tip jars out? Why am I suppose to tip someone for doing there job? I’m not talking about waiters and pizza delivery guys, but Starbucks? Coldstone ice cream? Moes??? Does this bother anyone else.

It’s been that way for a long time, I don’t see why you’re just now noticing it.

It's been that way for a long time, I don't see why you're just now noticing it.

It’s gotten a lot worse over the last year or so. Everyone is just trying to find a way to make extra coin.

I hate when Chinese places add the tip section on your receipt for take out orders, or anyone else for that matter, Chinese restaurants are the worst about it though.

It's been that way for a long time, I don't see why you're just now noticing it.
I think he's noticed it before, but is only starting the thread now since we don't any drama at the moment.

Not tipworthy: Large coffee.
Tipworthy: 10 modifications on your mocha latte. (soy, no whip, 7 flavor shots, blah blah blah). You should also be shot if you’re one of those people.

I think he's noticed it before, but is only starting the thread now since we don't any drama at the moment.

Not tipworthy: Large coffee.
Tipworthy: 10 modifications on your mocha latte. (soy, no whip, 7 flavor shots, blah blah blah). You should also be shot if you’re one of those people.

:thumbsup:

Tipworthy: 10 modifications on your mocha latte. (soy, no whip, 7 flavor shots, blah blah blah). [I]You should also be shot if you're one of those people[/I].

lol Agreed.

[QUOTE=NLP;321996]
Tipworthy: 10 modifications on your mocha latte. (soy, no whip, 7 flavor shots, blah blah blah). You should also be shot if you’re one of those people.[/QUOTE]

Mocha latte?
soy?
no whip
flavor shots?
any other special instructions, related to a specific drink?

I’ve been to Starbucks, Caribou, Dilworth Coffee House, etc. and for the life of me, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF IT MEANS and don’t know why anyone would consider that kind of order.

As far as tips, yeah the people thinking you will give them one sure has increased in the past year or so, but I’m not shy, I just ignore them.

The only routine places I feel compelled to give a tip:

1. “sit down” restaurant with a waiter/waitress
  2. haircut
  3. AutoBell

Baristas are traditionally tipped. I’ve been to plenty of restaurants that have tip jars out. If I pay with cash, I almost always tip a dollar and whatever change I’ve gotten.

I must agree… I never understood tipping for a haircut… Getting my haircut is the reason I am in your store… WHY must i tip you for doing your job? I go to a restaurant for the FOOD; the service is what they do extra, above and beyond the food… So I’ll tip a waiter or waitress… But the haircut is the reason I went there… Not to mention it’s already costing me $20 for the 10 minutes worth of work they’re doing anyway…

I’m done now.

I worked at Coldstone Creamery for over a year. It was hell, worst job I’ve ever had. I couldn’t handle having “annoying level of happiness” as a job expectation.

Anyway, in their defense, they only make minimum wage plus tips, or barely above it. If the ice cream wasn’t rediculously overpriced, I wouldn’t think it too outrageous to tip them. Then again, that ice cream isn’t very good; and my old boss still works there and she’s psychotic, so I stay away.

H aha, there is talk of the Bud Light commercial about the barista in another thread [URL]http://thefuntimesguide.com/2004/10/bud_light_real.php[/URL]

[QUOTE=ShaGGy;322018]I must agree… I never understood tipping for a haircut… Getting my haircut is the reason I am in your store… WHY must i tip you for doing your job? I go to a restaurant for the FOOD; the service is what they do extra, above and beyond the food… So I’ll tip a waiter or waitress… But the haircut is the reason I went there… Not to mention it’s already costing me $20 for the 10 minutes worth of work they’re doing anyway…

I’m done now.[/QUOTE]

Much like a waiter, barbers make their $ on tips. On a 20 dollar haircut the house keeps a large chunk of it, not the barber. Next time you get a ****ty haircut don’t ask why.

I always tip the barber. ALWAYS.

I have the hardest time tipping delivery guys a lot these days though. Main reason is they charge $2 for the delivery and that is supposed to go to the driver. I always use my card, so if they don’t bring a pen, I don’t tip them. If they bring a pen, I give them a little extra, because I understand they make their money that way.

I also tip the carwash guys and anyone who prepares my food. The one thing I can’t stand is tipping the guys at a chinese buffet. They get your water and take your plate away. Not worth $5 to me.

Do you tip at Showmars?? You order up front, but they bring you your food, but that is usually it…

I typically tip if they fill up my drink for me, if I get up and do it myself, no tip.

Curious how others handle Showmars…

Good question, haven’t been to showmars in a long time.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;322064]Do you tip at Showmars?? You order up front, but they bring you your food, but that is usually it…

I typically tip if they fill up my drink for me, if I get up and do it myself, no tip.

Curious how others handle Showmars…[/QUOTE]

at the one at south park they give you one of those vibrating sensors that light up and vibrate when your food is ready. then you have to pick it up yourself.

Do you tip at Showmars?? You order up front, but they bring you your food, but that is usually it....

Curious how others handle Showmars…

I used to, then I realized that they dont do anything. Seriously, outisde of bring you food, they dont. If you get lucky you might not have to ask to get your drink filled.

But chinese buffet, Im gonna stop tipping. You guys are right, what the **** do they even do?

I must agree... I never understood tipping for a haircut... Getting my haircut is the reason I am in your store... WHY must i tip you for doing your job? I go to a restaurant for the FOOD; the service is what they do extra, above and beyond the food... So I'll tip a waiter or waitress... But the haircut is the reason I went there... Not to mention it's already costing me $20 for the 10 minutes worth of work they're doing anyway...

I hate to sound cheap but the guy has a point there.

Hotels kill me. You tip the bellhop, tip the waiter if you get a drink at the bar, tip the waitress if you eat at the restaurant and then tip the person cleaning your room. I think Seinfeld did an episode about the cleaning lady. I don’t get that one.

Golf courses are bad too. You tip the person who gets your clubs out of the car, you tip the starter, you tip the bartender, you tip the cart girl and then you tip the kid who cleans your clubs after the round.