Tournament & team observations

It was a great trip, other than the outcome of the Monmouth game. There was about 60 (including players/coaches/staff) in the Charlotte group that that traveled together. Judy and her husband, Dale Halton and her husband along with many of the faithful who go to all of the tournaments. There were roughly 30-50 Niner fans in attendance for the games (even StoneColdKen :ohmy::biggrin:). The locals seemed to like us and cheered on the team. The capital city of St Thomas is named [COLOR=DarkGreen]Charlotte [/COLOR]Amalie, afterall.

This is a good group of guys…I have to say first and foremost. They were always together, friendly and thankful that everyone made the trip. There was no goofing around, anywhere. They wore their green Charlotte warmups during travel and represented the University very well.

As far as the performance, I don’t think you would be nearly as down if you were there and watched them play. The fans and players were pretty devastated after the Monmouth game. It was not taken very well but you can’t get too down about it. 25 more to play and that was the thought process a day later.

Sure it was ugly at times but this TEAM is far different than the past couple. They play HARD, don’t give up, and of course are far more athletic.

I agree with Jim Utter. Defense, hustle, athletic ability, energy are all good. The offense is a work in progress. I saw some good signs with Mack, Wilderness, Dewhurst driving to the basket; Phil showing some progress offensively vs the 7 foot UIC center; Ian shooting with more confidence. Mack settled for the 3 too often but I really like his game and his energy. Harris was lost against the Monmouth matchup zone, and it was obvious.

Just no consistency on offense at this point but I’m optimistic. And with Gerrity coming in, we’ll be in good shape.

Lefty, thanks!!! Not all of us have jumped off the bandwagon…

[QUOTE=run49er;270733]Lefty, thanks!!! Not all of us have jumped off the bandwagon…[/QUOTE]

Nah, some of us are jumping up and down and stomping our feet though.

Incensed ninerID post in 5, 4, 3, 2…

I saw Dale, Judy, etc.
I didn’t like St. Thomas as much as Hawaii or Vegas.
The games I went to we played our a55es off.
There was even a cute, sweet girl there named Charlotte. She was screaming the loudest.
I met Lefty & Mrs. Lefty.

i think on the whole everyone believes this is a better team than last year, the best i’ve seen over the last 3 or 4 years, but how long do we wait for them to make a splash…winning that tourney would have been big, i just hope we beat wake, if we dont and lose bad, its not looking good for lutz

you have to be down after that garbage… a good high school team should beat Monmouth, it was an embarrassing loss, and makes us look like a joke to the rest of the state, and people in Charlotte.

Lefty must be the most optimistic man alive.

[QUOTE=finalfourtyniners;270753]you have to be down after that garbage… a good high school team should beat Monmouth, it was an embarrassing loss, and makes us look like a joke to the rest of the state, and people in Charlotte.[/QUOTE]

We should never lose to Monmouth but it happened. Have to move on. Everyone’s savior, Greg Marshall/Wichita St lost to them as well.

So Lefty, do you know if Charlotte is seeing anyone? She seemed like a nice girl.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;270764]So Lefty, do you know if Charlotte is seeing anyone? She seemed like a nice girl.[/QUOTE] She’s a friend of Phaler’s from Univ of New Mexico.

Lefty is pragmatic. An excellent trait if I do say so myself.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;270740]I did not like St Thomas[/QUOTE]
I was there for the 2nd time about 2 months ago. It is one of my least favorite Virgin Islands. I hope you made a visit to St Johns, which is very close. That place is quite nice.

Lefty, I was hoping we might pick up some local fans from "Charlotte"Amalie for the tournament because of our name.

This is a good group of guys...I have to say first and foremost. They were always together, friendly and thankful that everyone made the trip. There was no goofing around, anywhere. They wore their green Charlotte warmups during travel and represented the University very well.

As far as the performance, I don’t think you would be nearly as down if you were there and watched them play. The fans and players were pretty devastated after the Monmouth game. It was not taken very well but you can’t get too down about it. 25 more to play and that was the thought process a day later.

Sure it was ugly at times but this TEAM is far different than the past couple. They play HARD, don’t give up, and of course are far more athletic.

I agree with Jim Utter. Defense, hustle, athletic ability, energy are all good. The offense is a work in progress. I saw some good signs with Mack, Wilderness, Dewhurst driving to the basket; Phil showing some progress offensively vs the 7 foot UIC center; Ian shooting with more confidence. Mack settled for the 3 too often but I really like his game and his energy. Harris was lost against the Monmouth matchup zone, and it was obvious.

Just no consistency on offense at this point but I’m optimistic. And with Gerrity coming in, we’ll be in good shape.

Jim,
yeah “pragmatic” is good, but it doesn’t defend the 3 ball (270th worst in NCAA) and it doesn’t help FT (271st in NCAA) nor does it help you not shoot 6-26 from 3 (again). Nobody is questioning hustle, effort, intensity… its definately there. I think the dry erase board is what everyone is worried about.

Lefty,
when you are in your car driving, how many times do you let the CD skip before you take it out and inspect it for damage? I am guessing you let a CD skip a good 2 minutes or more, before you FINALLY take it out and realize its too scratched to use. Then once you learn the Journy CD has fatal scratches and it will never work again, you keep rubbing it on your jeans with the thought you just know you can buff out that massive gash across it and stick it back in the dash---- over and over and over and over.

in all seriousness, I hope you put the good “program” ahead of whatever personal contacts you enjoy making. :smile:

99% of NNN wants Lutz to succeed, but this Monmouth loss was a big dagger…real big. Everyone has readily accepted an inconsistent season with young talent, but something is really broken for us to lose to the 256 RPI team from last year and a virtually unheard of school, and don’t give me the “they are better than you think” speech. I think losing to HP or App would of been more acceptable and palatable.

Just for shi… and giggles, someone with more time than I have look at
our current FT % compared with any of our teams that advanced to
the NCAA tourney in the last 10 years or so and let’s see what we have.

O. K., I’ll speculate. The teams we placed in the NCAA tourney in the last 10 years
had a better FT% than last year’s squad or this year’s squad to date.

BTW, if Phaler can score with some chick named “Charlotte”, then I’m heading
to the tattoo parlor first thing in the morning!!!LMAO

[QUOTE=fishniner;270786]BTW, if Phaler can score with some chick named “Charlotte”, then I’m heading
to the tattoo parlor first thing in the morning!!!LMAO[/QUOTE]
Get the big full color Charlotte logo tattoo on your chest is a must.:smile:

99% of NNN wants Lutz to succeed, but this Monmouth loss was a big dagger......real big. Everyone has readily accepted an inconsistent season with young talent, but something is really broken for us to lose to the 256 RPI team from last year and a virtually unheard of school, and don't give me the "they are better than you think" speech. I think losing to HP or App would of been more acceptable and palatable.

I disagree. Those are in state schools. If you think anyone in North Carolina knows we lost to Monmouth, you’re sadly mistaken. I wish the next game wasn’t at Bobcats because I’d be interested to see how long it took the body of “new” fans to hear about that and/or how many would show up at Halton. I can guarantee you that most of them didn’t even know we were playing.

I don’t like that we lost to Monmouth either. But I’ve accepted that this team will win games it shouldn’t and lost games it shouldn’t. If it keeps up both ends of the bargain (which remains to be seen, though you could make arguments for HPU and App), then I’ll be fine. If they beat Wake, everyone here will be saying this exact thing, except you and a few other posters who maintain a respectable degree of consistency in their opinions.

I disagree. Those are in state schools. If you think anyone in North Carolina knows we lost to Monmouth, you're sadly mistaken. I wish the next game wasn't at Bobcats because I'd be interested to see how long it took the body of "new" fans to hear about that and/or how many would show up at Halton. I can guarantee you that most of them didn't even know we were playing.

I don’t like that we lost to Monmouth either. But I’ve accepted that this team will win games it shouldn’t and lost games it shouldn’t. If it keeps up both ends of the bargain (which remains to be seen, though you could make arguments for HPU and App), then I’ll be fine. If they beat Wake, everyone here will be saying this exact thing, except you and a few other posters who maintain a respectable degree of consistency in their opinions.

disagree all you want but your wrong
with all due respect, you need to study how the NCAA works. Losses vs (most likely) likely conference champs or contenders such as App or HP hurt you less in March than a loss to a bottom feeder of the NCAA such as Monmouth. Thats not my opinion, that is math.

wtf does that mean?