Tournament & team observations

disagree all you want but your wrong with all due respect, you need to study how the NCAA works. Losses vs (most likely) likely conference champs or contenders such as App or HP hurt you less in March than a loss to a bottom feeder of the NCAA such as Monmouth. Thats not my opinion, that is math.

wtf does that mean?

I thought you meant from a perspective standpoint. I donā€™t have any intention of trying to figure out what will or what will not help us out in March. Arenā€™t you of the opinion that it doesnā€™t matter because weā€™re going to lose all the rest of our games by at least 30 points? Why think of March? This team is TERRIBLE. AWFUL. HORRENDOUS even. It may not even be in existence come March. The NCAA may step in and disband it.

As for the ā€œwtf,ā€ it means that youā€™re consistently negative and angry, rather than allowing the outcomes of the games to decide your mood. Itā€™s better than being a bandwagoner, and I appreciate you sticking to your pessimism. :slight_smile:

I agree that Monmouth was a BAD loss, but weā€™re still 3-2. Over our 30 game regular season that projects
out to an 18-12 mark headed into the A10 Tourney. Considering the influx of new players and a tough
schedule, Iā€™ll take 18-12 as a good building block for the next couple of seasons.

Hopefully Mike Gerrity is as good as the coaching staff says he is.    He should at least give us another

scoring option. Anybody who had 19 points and 4 assists vs. UCONN in his first college game must be
pretty good.

[QUOTE=metro;270779]Nobody is questioning hustle, effort, intensityā€¦ its definately there. I think the dry erase board is what everyone is worried about.[/QUOTE]

I think youā€™re right.

But they should probably look at Monmouthā€™s other box scores. Notre Dame was 10-23 from three point range (8 different players attempted at least one). Seton Hall was 10-24. Witchita State didnā€™t attempt many shots vs. Monmouth - but 6 of their total 16 fgs were from beyond the arc. Monmouth makes you either force it inside or take deep shotsā€¦itā€™s what they do. I personally like it if teams concentrate on defending the perimeter a little bit - (cough cough) since weā€™ve seen how 3 pointers can beat us.

Charlotte was 6-26 (5-21 after regulation). We missed 11 three pointers in the first half and only 5 in the 2nd half.

If Iā€™m a player and I believe that the teamā€™s best offensive player is Leemire - Iā€™d probably try to find ways to get him open beyond the arc, too. 18 of the 3 pointers came from a shooting guard. If youā€™re not going to let a shooting guard shoot against a team like Monmouth - then why even have a shooting guard? Play 4 fowards and a point guard for the rest of the year and leave Goldwire and Ian at the end of the bench.

I think it was a sucky game vs. a sucky opponent. Canā€™t say Iā€™m too happy about it. An unforgivable game only if the hustle, effort, and intensity is no longer there.

[QUOTE=survivor45;270820]I think youā€™re right.

But they should probably look at Monmouthā€™s other box scores. Notre Dame was 10-23 from three point range (8 different players attempted at least one). Seton Hall was 10-24. Witchita State didnā€™t attempt many shots vs. Monmouth - but 6 of their total 16 fgs were from beyond the arc. Monmouth makes you either force it inside or take deep shotsā€¦itā€™s what they do. I personally like it if teams concentrate on defending the perimeter a little bit - (cough cough) since weā€™ve seen how 3 pointers can beat us.

Charlotte was 6-26 (5-21 after regulation). We missed 11 three pointers in the first half and only 5 in the 2nd half.

If Iā€™m a player and I believe that the teamā€™s best offensive player is Leemire - Iā€™d probably try to find ways to get him open beyond the arc, too. 18 of the 3 pointers came from a shooting guard. If youā€™re not going to let a shooting guard shoot against a team like Monmouth - then why even have a shooting guard? Play 4 fowards and a point guard for the rest of the year and leave Goldwire and Ian at the end of the bench.

I think it was a sucky game vs. a sucky opponent. Canā€™t say Iā€™m too happy about it. An unforgivable game only if the hustle, effort, and intensity is no longer there.[/QUOTE]

Survivor-good post.
Here are also some stats from most of the boards obsession with McKillop: The Broncos (3-2) contested Davidson shots from the perimeter. Davidson made only 9 of 31 3-point attempts in the game and missed five of its last six shots overall.
Some of the board crucified Lutz for taking 6-26 when Davidson went 9-31, not much difference there. I think the boys will be fine, and we are a MUCH different team from the last two years.
I think we will be fine as long as we keep playing with the heart we have been lately.

[QUOTE=survivor45;270820]I think youā€™re right.

I think it was a sucky game vs. a sucky opponent. Canā€™t say Iā€™m too happy about it. An unforgivable game only if the hustle, effort, and intensity is no longer there.[/QUOTE]

Very good post, but you also need to realize, during the 2nd half of Monmouth game, Dewhurst and Wilderness were driving toward the hoop and it ā€œworkedā€. Thatā€™s why we had 9pt lead, but for some reason Bobby decided to drop that game plan and went back with the 3 ball.

We could win and we had our chances, Bobby blew it imo

I thought you meant from a perspective standpoint. I don't have any intention of trying to figure out what will or what will not help us out in March. Aren't you of the opinion that it doesn't matter because we're going to lose all the rest of our games by at least 30 points? Why think of March? This team is TERRIBLE. AWFUL. HORRENDOUS even. It may not even be in existence come March. The NCAA may step in and disband it.

As for the ā€œwtf,ā€ it means that youā€™re consistently negative and angry, rather than allowing the outcomes of the games to decide your mood. Itā€™s better than being a bandwagoner, and I appreciate you sticking to your pessimism. :slight_smile:

gee thats odd, I was the one getting slammed last week because I thought we were the #2 or #3 team in the A10.
you took a swing and a miss pal. get your facts straight before you pop off again. I have been on this emotional roller coaster 15 years longer than you and have slightly more at stake and invested than you so far. Weā€™ll see what kind of mood you are in 15 years from nowā€¦if youā€™re even still a fan.

Fair enough, I didnā€™t exactly go back and track all of your posts because, you know, thereā€™s more important things in the world than internet message boards, so I apologize for making sweeping generalizations about you. Or at least I would if you hadnā€™t needlessly appealled to your incredible endurance as a fan and my supposed caprice. Sounds like a sweeping generalization to meā€¦ Guess itā€™s a draw then. My question: Who slammed you for being overly optimistic?

One play continues to get overlooked for some reason. If Charlie Coley doesnā€™t hang on the rim before grabbing an alley oop pass, three things change: A) Coley could have scored and moved a 4-pt Charlotte lead back to 6pts; B) Monmouth does not get two free throws for the technical; and C) Monmouth doesnā€™t get the ensuing possession to score again and draw a foul and hit the free throw ā€“ ALL WITH NO TIME GOING OFF THE CLOCK ā€¦ IMO, no Coley technical = very likely Charlotte win.

[QUOTE=Jim Utter;270837]One play continues to get overlooked for some reason. If Charlie Coley doesnā€™t hang on the rim before grabbing an alley oop pass, three things change: A) Coley could have scored and moved a 4-pt Charlotte lead back to 6pts; B) Monmouth does not get two free throws for the technical; and C) Monmouth doesnā€™t get the ensuing possession to score again and draw a foul and hit the free throw ā€“ ALL WITH NO TIME GOING OFF THE CLOCK ā€¦ IMO, no Coley technical = very likely Charlotte win.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, a good pass from Harris and Coley slams it home and weā€™re up 6. He had to adjust and made a bad mistake by still trying to convert.

Just prior to that as someone pointed out, Wilderness and Dewhurst were driving and we pulled ahead by 7.

Lee also missed the front end of 2 1 and 1ā€™s. That canā€™t happen.

I think an even better ā€œtargetā€ for blame was Lee for missing the FRONT END OF A ONE AND ONE in a crucial situation. Something a Senior point guard should not doā€¦

especially one that hit 90% LAST year.

Who cares if something special had happened and we had won? The point is Lutz canā€™t drop up a game winning play for a darn. Putting 5 three point shooters in then driving down for 15 seconds and launching a 3 is not a good play, and that is the coachā€™s fault. The fact he couldnā€™t gameplan to beat a far superior team is the problem.

Itā€™s not just the loss. Itā€™s the reasons we lost.

It IS a reason Charlotte lost. With virtually no time gone on the clock, Charlotte went from up 4 with the ball to down 1 and without it. That completely changed the entire morale of the team, the momentum, the defense and the offense. Consider the fact the final play youā€™re so concerned about should never have taken place.

Fair enough, I didn't exactly go back and track all of your posts because, you know, there's more important things in the world than internet message boards, so I apologize for making sweeping generalizations about you

lol, careful Mandyā€¦ you started the mudsling in post #19, retrace the thread in chronological order, if you are gonna dish, then take. As for you having ā€œmore important things to do than read the message boardā€ā€¦like what? make 50 more youtube vids ranting about various strange topics wearing full constumes?
ā€¦ok bro :lmao:

Exactly, a good pass from Harris and Coley slams it home and we're up 6. He had to adjust and made a bad mistake by still trying to convert.

Just prior to that as someone pointed out, Wilderness and Dewhurst were driving and we pulled ahead by 7.

Lee also missed the front end of 2 1 and 1ā€™s. That canā€™t happen.

good points, butā€¦

we are still #279 in the NCAA at FTs (61.4%)
we are still #278 in the NCAA at 3pt defense (40.2%)

at some point we have to guard the perimeter, and be at least avg at the stripe, otherwise pinpoint plays such as Coleyā€™s tech will leave you no margin of error. Thats what all this boils down toā€¦our margin of error is nada because of FT and our pisspoor perimeter D.

[QUOTE=Jim Utter;270837]One play continues to get overlooked for some reason. If Charlie Coley doesnā€™t hang on the rim before grabbing an alley oop pass, three things change: A) Coley could have scored and moved a 4-pt Charlotte lead back to 6pts; B) Monmouth does not get two free throws for the technical; and C) Monmouth doesnā€™t get the ensuing possession to score again and draw a foul and hit the free throw ā€“ ALL WITH NO TIME GOING OFF THE CLOCK ā€¦ IMO, no Coley technical = very likely Charlotte win.[/QUOTE]

Question for anyone that was thereā€¦

I saw it on the video but I want to get your take on it - Mackā€™s 3 ptr at the end of regulation with plenty of time on the shot clock. Did anybody see Lutzā€™s reaction to that? Iā€™ve got to think that this wasnā€™t what Lutz drew up.

lol, careful Mandy... you started the mudsling in post #19, retrace the thread in chronological order, if you are gonna dish, then take. As for you having "more important things to do than read the message board"....like what? make 50 more youtube vids ranting about various strange topics wearing full constumes? ...ok bro :lmao:

Oh, Iā€™ll be glad to continue the mudslinging. For example, youā€™re a cankerous, redundant poster and you never properly captalize anything. And you use ā€œlol.ā€ And rolling smilies. But I wonā€™t maintain a position conflicted by facts. Iā€™ve never seen a positive post from you, but if you say that you made positive posts and got slammed for it, Iā€™ll take your word for it.

And you can make the Youtube videos all you want, but they got me a hug from Mandy Moore. They are therefore far more important to me than going back and reading all your posts. On the plus side, Iā€™ve been upgraded from ā€œpalā€ to ā€œbro.ā€ Maybe, if Iā€™m real nice, I can achieve ā€œchiefā€ or ā€œtigerā€ status. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=metro;270845]good points, butā€¦

we are still #279 in the NCAA at FTs (61.4%)
we are still #278 in the NCAA at 3pt defense (40.2%)

at some point we have to guard the perimeter, and be at least avg at the stripe, otherwise pinpoint plays such as Coleyā€™s tech will leave you no margin of error. Thats what all this boils down toā€¦our margin of error is nada because of FT and our pisspoor perimeter D.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, for one Iā€™m surprised we are 3-2 at this point. Hell we missed 19 FTs against High Point. NINETEEN FREE THOWS! The bad thing is that it was a home game.

One positive: Big Phil looks like he can hit FTs so hopefully he will start attacking and getting to the line more.

Negatives: Harris has to improve FT shooting and so does Coley, Anjuan, and Mack. Coley, Mack, and Anjuan will be shooting plenty of FTs this year and they just have to get better for us to win games. You canā€™t be good or even great without doing the fundamentals such as making the Freebies.

Oh, I'll be glad to continue the mudslinging. For example, you're a cankerous, redundant poster and you never properly captalize anything. And you use "lol." And rolling smilies. But I won't maintain a position conflicted by facts. I've never seen a positive post from you, but if you say that you made positive posts and got slammed for it, I'll take your word for it.

looks like someone needs to read the NNN code of conduct

[QUOTE=forDniner;270848]Question for anyone that was thereā€¦

I saw it on the video but I want to get your take on it - Mackā€™s 3 ptr at the end of regulation with plenty of time on the shot clock. Did anybody see Lutzā€™s reaction to that? Iā€™ve got to think that this wasnā€™t what Lutz drew up.[/QUOTE]

Lutz didnā€™t go balistic on Mack but he was shaking his head and just staring at him as the team huddled for the timeout. He was calling for Mack to get the ball a lot in the second half, wanted him to take the big guyā€¦so when the ball did get in his hands, I think Lutz felt good about it. Mack got carried away, obviously. He should have pump faked and drove right around him.