TV Binging Thread šŸ“ŗ

I think itā€™s actually the other way around, the money people are starting to care too much about the creative process (Netflix with Cowboy Bebop, KK with Star Wars, Amazon with LOTR, Apple with Foundation, etc). The quality of content and the bottom line are suffering as a result. These entities though are too big to fail so it doesnā€™t hurt them like a studio bomb would back in the day.

Marvel is even suffering to me, Iā€™ve only finished one of the series on Disney+ (Wandavision). Itā€™s getting to the point where I anticipate Hollywood screwing up great original content (although there are some exceptions out there like Dune, Spider-Man, and surprisingly Peacemaker).

Expect the worst, hope for the best is how I approach these now. I wait for good reviews/word of mouth now before I get too excited. Halo Iā€™m going to pass on for now.

Yeah I guess I mean they donā€™t care about the creative process staying pure.

Just watched episode 1 of Halo and pretty much loved it. Any issues are minor. Canā€™t wait for episode 2.

Watched some Halo this weekend.

Production values are a little uneven within the episodes, and Iā€™m not sure about the writing yetā€¦ But ā€¦ itā€™s not bad. Iā€™d give it a B. Itā€™s enough that Iā€™ll keep watching.

It is NOWHERE near the hatchet job they did to Wheel of Time. Which makes me angrier everytime I think about it. WoT could have been a solid fantasy show if they had just stuck to the bones of the story, and not tried to cram all that agenda crap into it.

Also, Dr Halsey is played by the actress from Roninā€¦ an underrated movie from 20 some years ago.

1 Like

So far I find nothing too off-putting about the Halo series. I think there were some interesting creative takes that I, as a fan of Halo game/books, would have certainly done differently but in this world where everything is suspect to change in existing canon to better fit a perceived social injustice outside of the actual story, I have so far seen little in the Halo series to set off my own alarm bells.

For folks interested in these topics I recommend the following:

Especially Chris Gore:

And on the whole process:

Iā€™ve enjoyed Chris Goreā€™s commentary on the subject previously. He makes a lot of solid points.

Finished The Last Kingdom. Iā€™m a big a fan of the books and enjoyed the series.

Stared Tokyo Vice on HBO Max, just three episodes in but really liking it so far.

Moon Knight I tapped out after one episode. Stinks too because I thought it had potential.

Enjoying Slow Horses on Apple TV+. If you like spy shows this will hit the spot. And Gary Oldman is great in it.

On the list, but moving it up higher now. I need to retire so I can catch up at this point.

Far too many good shows right now. Here is my to watch list just for shows starting recently (spring)

Spring Must Watch TV List

Slow Horses

Drive To Survive

Mrs. Maisel

Top Chef

The Dropout

Inventing Anna

Super Pumped

Better Call Saul

Ozark season 4 Part 2

Winning Time

Killing Eve

Minx

Atlanta

We own this city

Barry season 2

Anatomy of a scandal

The shining girls

WeCrashed

Oh yeah. And the NBA playoffs. :basketball:

Started binging ā€œThe 100ā€ on Netflix. Itā€™s decent entertainment. Itā€™s basically a post-apocalyptic science fiction show about survivors from a space habitat, the Ark, who return to Earth nearly a century after a nuclear war. The kids sent to Earth are a group of juvenile delinquents who encounter descendants of survivors of the nuclear disaster on the ground.

I liked it, but there is a recurring theme that gets old as the series progresses. Youā€™ll know it when you see it repeat itself

This is an older show. But would anyone recommend Orphan Black?

1 Like

I liked it. It was OK, not life-changing or anything.

I"m about half way through season 2 and so far Iā€™m enjoying the show.

We havenā€™t finished the series, but I loved it.

Thanks. I have a big soft spot for well done foreign shows. And if memory serves the show is in England or Canada.

Just finished Slow Horses. Really Good. Not a mind blow like Station 11 but hugely entertaining

Misleading headlineā€¦ Theyā€™re talking about the TV Rating ā€¦ itā€™s for ages 9+. Should be fairly wholesome.