TV Binging Thread šŸ“ŗ

That girl looked like she was 5. Ran like it too.

She also had to read her lines off of cue cards too often.

Iā€™m sure she is absolutely adorable in person, but she wasnā€™t up to this role. They should have cast an older actress.

1 Like

I agree with just about everything you guys have said. Worst acting Iā€™ve seen in all of Star Wars. Ewan was the only thing about it I could stomach watching, but everything else was 1000% absolute crap.

Itā€™s almost as if this show was targeted towards 6 year olds, but with too much violence. What a complete and utter F-up by the mouse. They ruin everything.

I like obi wan being beat down. I like the inquisitors story. I like leia being the reason he comes out of hiding. I like the pacing but dear god SW and their casting and dialogue. Kathleen Kennedy and her mismanagement of what was probably the worlds most valuable IP. Itā€™s just crazy.

I donā€™t think obi wans current situation fits That description. He thought he killed his best friend. Watched his order get destroyed by people he trusted. Everyone he was close to was gone the few left were hunted like dogs. He was legit scared and alone. He had but one mission, protect the boy in a lonely planet being reminded of his failure and the cost of that failure in the galaxy. That is what he was doing. I love it. I also loved Lukes situation - that was all I liked of that movie. Now if Obi stays in this mental place then obviously we have a problem and he never becomes the guy that finishes maul. Letā€™s see where this goes.

You liked Luke in Last Jedi?

I donā€™t think we can be friends anymore. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I liked the story line. I probably would have handled it differently than they did like handling the saber when Rey handed it to him, but he did exactly what yoda did. He tapped out. The Jedi were front runners. I mean 12 year old me wanted an ass kicking luke, but adult me likes where the character went.

Obi-Wan being shell shocked and depressed is a logical plot step but the execution is horrific. The similarities to Luke in The Last Jedi are striking, iiirc Mark Hamil said he had to play it as if it was a new character. Obi-Wan feels like someone else too.

Using Leia as a way to get him back could have worked but I laughed out loud during the chase scene, how she was grabbed, all of it so bad.

The Inquisitor arc and interactions with each other had potential but became stale and a little silly quickly.

The end of the second episode is why Iā€™m sticking around but Mando isnā€™t coming to save this one. I hope it gets better but feel like itā€™s going to be another Disney series I was cautiously looking forward to but donā€™t complete.

1 Like

This. I like a lot of what they have done Story wise but the execution thus far is well on par with most SW stuff these days.

On the positive loved the ending of E2, maybe it turns there.

1 Like

Looks like Disney is pulling a Niner. Wait til next season

This guy gets it, especially around the 13 minute mark. They did Obi Wan dirty, and fans donā€™t like it.

Talks about how Obi Wan should have spent the 10 years both reflecting / refocusing and training to maintain his prowessā€¦ But instead we were given a broken pathetic character in a badly paced / slow show (a la ā€œnot-lukeā€, ver 2.0) and forced to watch him for over an hour, and then ASK US TO ROOT FOR HIM. It leaves most star wars fans asking ā€œwhere is the Kenobi from the prequels and episode 4?ā€ and more importantly, ā€œwhy am I watching this?ā€

He spends a lot of time talking about how badly KK has mismanaged the IP. His only agenda is that he wants good SW stories, and he is disappointed that we arenā€™t getting them most of the time (he did like Rogue One and Mando).

Also, why do they not bother identifying where things happen on this show? Like what town do the inquisitors land in? How close is it to Luke / Obi Wan? How many other towns did they visit on Tattooine? Etc.

Pacing could have been dramatically improved without changing the story much:

Start the show with Leia being abducted. We already know who Leia is and why she is on Alderaan. We donā€™t need 20+ minutes of establishing shots. Have her going about her day and have her abducted right away (also use an older actress that can pass for 10).

Then cut to Obi Wanā€¦ Short establishing section where we see what he is up to. I would say keep the nightmares scene and showing him checking on Anakin, but splice in a brief training scene with a a reflection / meditation shot or two. See a sad but determined man, haunted by the ghosts of his failures.

The Inquisitors show up, and start shaking down the locals on Tattooine (Mos Eisley)? Capture / kill a Jedi to establish their threat. I really like the idea of them using mind probes that they use in episode 2 instead of threats. Makes them more menacing. To me it would feel like an homage to the superb opening scene of Inglorious Bastards, especially if they toy with them for a few seconds before they do it, catching them in a lie.

(this is one of Tarantinoā€™s best scenes ever - make an all ages, short version of this, set in Star Wars universe).

Bail Organa shows up, though travelling incognito, (he is the only person who knows where Obi Wan is - ditch the random Jedi finding him scene) and pleads with Obi Wan to come save Leia. Obi Wan struggles with whether he can leave Luke (maybe he gets wind of the inquisitors - are they looking for Luke or are they looking for him? - maybe he weighs whether he is helping or harming Luke by being there right then, and reluctantly decides itā€™s better to leave, and maybe leaves a proxy to watch Luke)ā€¦

And so on.

We donā€™t need an hour of sad sack / pathetic , defeated, cut off from the force, ā€œDeconstructedā€ Obi Wan, who somehow has given up everything to do with being a Jedi (Master), but also somehow both still believes in the ways of the Jedi and is mentally and physically ready to train Luke. Those two plot points are completely contradictory. That scene where he argues with Owen that Luke needs to be trained makes absolutely no sense in context.

Stranger Things season 4 is the best since the first season.

1 Like

Not new, but searched and looks like Succession didnā€™t get much run in hereā€¦ awesome show. I personally think season 3 is maybe he best season of any series made.

Yep really enjoying it. They seem to have gone a bit darker than before. The kills are pretty disturbing.

I really need to give succession a try. I usually watch TV with the wife and she hated the one episode we watched. Said the characters were too unlikable. I didnā€™t have time to watch it on my own.

Really old show here but Iā€™m watching Arrested Development with my son home from college who put me on to it. Good show.

Hacks season two is starting out quite well.

I didnā€™t have time to watch them with her but the wife said Under the Banner of Heaven and Shining Girls were both great.

I had the same opinion after a couple episodes tbh. You should give it a shot.

ninermac, is it safe to say you have a special place in your heart for Silicon Valley (being a fellow IT guy)?

Loved Silicon Valley!

1 Like