TWC - ORDERED THEY MUST CARRY MASN & THE NINERS! BIG TV NEWS!

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/456182.html

The article is linked above. This means Time Warner Cable MUST carry MASN which means you will get the NINERS all your MASN fans!

Only 3-4 games a year, but at least we now have an outlet for our 49ers basketball!

So i’m gonna be required to pay $60 extra a year and only get a couple of games that I care to watch?

$60 EXTRA? FOR ONE CHANNEL? LOL

$60 EXTRA? FOR ONE CHANNEL? LOL

I’ve seen it quoted that $5 a month to add it.

MASN was ready for this. This email arrived during lunch.

[QUOTE]Dear Sports Fan,

You did it!

Recently, an FCC-appointed arbitrator found that Time Warner Cable had “deliberately discriminated” against MASN and prevented sports fans throughout North Carolina from getting MASN in their homes.

As you know, the cable monopoly had blacked out MASN, which carries the Baltimore Orioles, the Washington Nationals and over 200 local college football, basketball and lacrosse games for the past year.

The arbitrator found that “all of TWC’s efforts went into figuring out ways to avoid putting MASN on the air.”

The ruling gives us hope there will be a swift return of televised Major League Baseball and collegiate sports in North Carolina and it wouldn’t have happened without you.

You lobbied your elected leaders, and many of them stood up for you. You should be proud of the courageous leadership shown by Congressmen Walter Jones and Howard Coble, Mayors Robert Parrott, William Bell and Charles Meeker and Representatives Marilyn McLawhorn, Fred Steen, Bill Owens, Fletcher Hartsell and Tricia Cotham.

You were joined in the effort by Terry Holland (Athletic Director, ECU), Nido Qubein (President, High Point), Bernard Muir (Athletic Director, Georgetown), Michael Tranghese (Commissioner, Big East Conference), Kyle Kallander (Commissioner, Big South Conference) and all nine North Carolina Minor League Baseball teams.

You utilized [URL=http://www.playballnow.org]PlayBallNow.org[/URL], and helped us illustrate that tens of thousands of sports fans throughout the state wanted MASN on their televisions.

You lobbied the FCC and sent formal complaints to the Attorney General of North Carolina.

And now, you have won. Sports fans and consumers won a victory – and you should be proud.

Because of you, Time Warner Cable will have to play ball soon.

MASN looks forward to bringing you the best in local live sports programming and to bringing back the national pastime to North Carolina.

With sincere thanks,
Your Friends at Play Ball Now[/QUOTE]

In addition, TWC along with several other cable providers all tried to add MASN to their digital tier so that the cost wouldn’t have to be applied to all subscribers but MASN wouldn’t have anything to do with that.

It is good I suppose, but wish there wasn’t any increase in TWC fees. I hope they start carrying all of our games or atleast more than this year.

In addition, TWC along with several other cable providers all tried to add MASN to their digital tier so that the cost wouldn't have to be applied to all subscribers but MASN wouldn't have anything to do with that.
I have a $2/month sports package from TWC. It has the ESPNNEWS, NBA TV, CSTV, TENNIS, some other college basketball channel. Why not add MASN into there? money?

Anyone think cable will ever be, pay for each channel separately??? I really only watch 5-10 channels regulary. But I guess all those crap shows going off the air will increase the unemployment rate.

I have a $2/month sports package from TWC. It has the ESPNNEWS, NBA TV, CSTV, TENNIS, some other college basketball channel. Why not add MASN into there? money?

Anyone think cable will ever be, pay for each channel separately??? I really only watch 5-10 channels regulary. But I guess all those crap shows going off the air will increase the unemployment rate.

If it were to happen I assume that each chanel would be more expensive than the cost spread out is. But I’m with you, I only watch 10 tops.

I expect the future is PPV or subscription for stuff like sports all online of course and shows being similiar. Pay for access to the whole season or slightly more for by the episode.

Maybe it’ll weed out alot of the crap on now (parking wars, farmer needs a wife, etc)

Without knowing the costs I like the idea of getting MASN, mostly for MLB. In Raleigh, we are in the Nats/O’s television area and for the past few years no regional MLB on tv. And if one of those 2 are on ESPN they are often blacked out here (except for Sun night game of the week). I assume Charlotte is in the Braves territory so this isn’t as much concern?

Maybe it'll weed out alot of the [B]crap[/B] on now (parking wars, farmer needs a wife, etc)
... Dr. Phil
I've seen it quoted that $5 a month to add it.

LOL, ESPN doesn’t even cost $5 a MONTH!

I've seen it quoted that $5 a month to add it.

**** that

especially to watch the 3-5 Charlotte games they’ll probably show on it.

[QUOTE=cibik02;286759]Anyone think cable will ever be, pay for each channel separately??? I really only watch 5-10 channels regulary. But I guess all those crap shows going off the air will increase the unemployment rate.[/QUOTE]
Can’t find it now, but I heard the FCC has already set a goal for this happening. It’s a plan rather than a law for now.

LOL, ESPN doesn't even cost $5 a MONTH!
ESPN is already part of the standard cable package. You just don't know how much it costs.

$5 for one channel, please give a link or something. That is an outrageous statement, it won’t even come close to costing TWC $2 a month for the channel, much less $5.

Can anyone explain to me why the FCC has any say over whether TWC carries MASN or not? It’s Ted Turner’s company so why doesn’t he have the final say?

This also feels similar to congress and the NFL. I’d been told that congress was putting pressure on the NFL because of the NFL network and them showing a big game on there or something. Why does the NFL have to listen to congress when they are just doing business? They don’t really have a monopoly it seems, they just are the only profootball organization people care about. There was the XFL at one time but people just didn’t care about it.

Anyways, I’m not arguing for either one, just trying to understand my United States anti-trust laws.

This is great news. The only downside I can see to it from a Niner perspective is that we got around 8 or so games on TWC’s paid programming channel to fend off some of the MASN push (from my understanding). If MASN was the big reason for it we could see TV coverage go down significantly because of this. Hope I’m wrong on that.

[QUOTE=49or bust;286797]Can anyone explain to me why the FCC has any say over whether TWC carries MASN or not? It’s Ted Turner’s company so why doesn’t he have the final say?

This also feels similar to congress and the NFL. I’d been told that congress was putting pressure on the NFL because of the NFL network and them showing a big game on there or something. Why does the NFL have to listen to congress when they are just doing business? They don’t really have a monopoly it seems, they just are the only profootball organization people care about. There was the XFL at one time but people just didn’t care about it.

Anyways, I’m not arguing for either one, just trying to understand my United States anti-trust laws.[/QUOTE]

FCC controls the airwaves - TWC just pays to use them.