TWC - ORDERED THEY MUST CARRY MASN & THE NINERS! BIG TV NEWS!

FCC controls the airwaves - TWC just pays to use them.
Unless I'm mistaken TWC uses wires that they send directly to my house. Not much airwaves in that...

i used to work at twc 4 years ago (granted nothing to do in the purchasing of channels or anything)ā€¦ but i had heard that espn as a channel was one of the most expensive channels in your cable package. course now I donā€™t work there to look up or ask around for the exact info. iā€™ld bet its still the case today.

I have DirecTV, and they added MASN last summer, and my bill never went up. I donā€™t see why TW is going to charge for this channel.

[QUOTE]Dear Sports Fan,

You did it!

Recently, an FCC-appointed arbitrator found that Time Warner Cable had ā€œdeliberately discriminatedā€ against MASN and prevented sports fans throughout North Carolina from getting MASN in their homes.

As you know, the cable monopoly had blacked out MASN, which carries the Baltimore Orioles, the Washington Nationals and over 200 local college football, basketball and lacrosse games for the past year.

The arbitrator found that ā€œall of TWCā€™s efforts went into figuring out ways to avoid putting MASN on the air.ā€

The ruling gives us hope there will be a swift return of televised Major League Baseball and collegiate sports in North Carolina and it wouldnā€™t have happened without you.

You lobbied your elected leaders, and many of them stood up for you. You should be proud of the courageous leadership shown by Congressmen Walter Jones and Howard Coble, Mayors Robert Parrott, William Bell and Charles Meeker and Representatives Marilyn McLawhorn, Fred Steen, Bill Owens, Fletcher Hartsell and Tricia Cotham.

[B]You were joined in the effort by Terry Holland (Athletic Director, ECU), Nido Qubein (President, High Point), Bernard Muir (Athletic Director, Georgetown), Michael Tranghese (Commissioner, Big East Conference), Kyle Kallander (Commissioner, Big South Conference) and all nine North Carolina Minor League Baseball teams.[/B]

You utilized PlayBallNow.org, and helped us illustrate that tens of thousands of sports fans throughout the state wanted MASN on their televisions.

You lobbied the FCC and sent formal complaints to the Attorney General of North Carolina.

And now, you have won. Sports fans and consumers won a victory ā€“ and you should be proud.

Because of you, Time Warner Cable will have to play ball soon.

MASN looks forward to bringing you the best in local live sports programming and to bringing back the national pastime to North Carolina.

With sincere thanks,
Your Friends at Play Ball Now [/QUOTE]

Anyone notice the names Phil Dubois, Judy Rose and Linda Brunno? Me neither.:lol:

I love the responses to the O article. Now which one of you is BigDick? You pot stirrer you!:tongue:

I understand that a mediator will work with the two parties to determine what package it may end up on.

ESPN is already part of the standard cable package. You just don't know how much it costs.

You are funny. MASN isnā€™t going to even cost 25 cents per month to your bill. NFL Network wants to charge 70 cents and Time Warner Cable balks at that! CNN costs 45 cents and Fox news cost 30 cents. So why you think MASN will cost $5 per month!?!?!

This is just another reason for Time Warner Cable to up your bill. Oh my, FCC made us put MASN on basic cableā€¦ so we have to charge $5 per month extra.

This is why Time Warner Cable are making a killing off of you. I am surprised anyone even has Time Warner Cable anymore, who hasnā€™t switched to Direct TV?

On demand is starting to happen but it isnā€™t how FCC is envisioning. It is happening because of Xbox 360 and Microsoft. You can pay per episode of whatever you want. There is no option for Sports yet, but it is a nice start. Just pay 80 cents to $1.60 per episode of whatever show you want on TV.

You are funny. MASN isn't going to even cost 25 cents per month to your bill. NFL Network wants to charge 70 cents and Time Warner Cable balks at that! CNN costs 45 cents and Fox news cost 30 cents. So why you think MASN will cost $5 per month!?!?!

This is just another reason for Time Warner Cable to up your bill. Oh my, FCC made us put MASN on basic cableā€¦ so we have to charge $5 per month extra.

This is why Time Warner Cable are making a killing off of you. I am surprised anyone even has Time Warner Cable anymore, who hasnā€™t switched to Direct TV?

On demand is starting to happen but it isnā€™t how FCC is envisioning. It is happening because of Xbox 360 and Microsoft. You can pay per episode of whatever you want. There is no option for Sports yet, but it is a nice start. Just pay 80 cents to $1.60 per episode of whatever show you want on TV.

That really could add up though. I am what you call a ā€œhigh TV viewerā€ not to be confused with a ā€œhighā€ tv viewer. A big thing for me is flipping through the channels to find something which I might not have known about before I just happened to flip to it. So personally, Iā€™d prefer to have all the channels with on demand capabilities as well.

ahh a month after it was decided i would be butt raped and get ā€œMI-Connectionā€. Thank you local government!

ESPN makes up approximately $3.50-$3.80 of each standard or digital package and is by far the most expensive non-subscription channel. As for complaining about the rates going up, they just added in the past year ESPNU to the digital package and CSTV to the sports tier without increasing the rate of either one, so donā€™t necessarily think its gonna automatically increase the cost. After watching the game on MASN this weekend, my thought is maybe they should put a little more effort into the quality of their broadcasts, instead of their legal department. Hopefully they can afford an extra camera angle or two now.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;286807]Unless Iā€™m mistaken TWC uses wires that they send directly to my house. Not much airwaves in thatā€¦[/QUOTE]
You are mistakenā€¦ How does Ted get the signal? Satellite and over the air. Nothing is strictly one or the other. The service is only defined by how it arrives at your house.

That really could add up though. I am what you call a "high TV viewer" not to be confused with a "high" tv viewer. A big thing for me is flipping through the channels to find something which I might not have known about before I just happened to flip to it. So personally, I'd prefer to have all the channels with on demand capabilities as well.

I agree as well, but itā€™s simply an example of ala-cart model as everyone has been asking for.

I guess it just depends on how much you watch and what you watch. For me I love my DirectTV for $39.99 per month plus my free HD (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS) channels over air. Why pay for something that is free, love my free HD baby!

It depends mostly on what MASN charges to add the channel, but to add it to standard cable it could cost up to $5. Not because that is how much the channel costs, but to add it to standard cable, they would not only have to pay the cost to air the channel, but TWC would also have to pay to add the extra bandwidth to allow the channel to come in as standard cable.

That is, of course, unless they send a different channel that is already on standard cable to digital cable. When that happened most recently with the Travel Channel, people were not happy at all, or when Bravo was dropped in the triangle to make room for other channels. Going from 77 to 78 channels of analog signal is pretty expensive, and the cost will be diffused to the consumer.

I wish MASN would have just settled for a spot on a digital tier, which is probably where they will end up anyway.

By the way, Ted Turner does not own TWC, or Time Warner.

You are mistaken... How does Ted get the signal? Satellite and over the air. Nothing is strictly one or the other. The service is only defined by how it arrives at your house.
I have no idea what those sentances mean. Are you drunk posting again?
Going from 77 to 78 channels of analog signal is pretty expensive, and the cost will be diffused to the consumer.

I wish MASN would have just settled for a spot on a digital tier, which is probably where they will end up anyway.

isnā€™t it all going digital in a year anyways?

I lobbied them last year for ESPNU & CSTV to get Niner games, & by the time they got them, the Niners were on MASN.
Now the TWC is getting MASN, & by the time they get it, I bet someone else that TWC doesnā€™t carry will carry the Niners.
Does anyone know if MASN is going to carry the Niners next year, or will it be a worthless channel to me like ESPNU & CSTV?

[QUOTE=ninerID;286911]isnā€™t it all going digital in a year anyways?[/QUOTE]

Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;286874]I have no idea what those sentances mean. Are you drunk posting again?[/QUOTE]
No, I wasnā€™t drunk. Did that post really not make sense?

No, I wasn't drunk. Did that post really not make sense?
Really, you start one way and end the other way. I'm lost.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;286862][QUOTE=kevinharbin;286807]Unless Iā€™m mistaken TWC uses wires that they send directly to my house. Not much airwaves in thatā€¦[/QUOTE]

You are mistakenā€¦ How does Ted get the signal? Satellite and over the air. Nothing is strictly one or the other. The service is only defined by how it arrives at your house.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;286994]Really, you start one way and end the other way. Iā€™m lost.[/QUOTE]

You said that there arenā€™t any airwaves involved in cable signal. You are correct that from Time Warner hub to your house is all cable/optical. But Time Warner recieves the signal at their hub via cable, optical, satellite [I]and [/I]over the air.

You said that there aren't any airwaves involved in cable signal. You are correct that from Time Warner hub to your house is all cable/optical. But Time Warner recieves the signal at their hub via cable, optical, satellite [I]and [/I]over the air.
Ah, I see what you mean. How does that give the FCC the right to regulate TWC's trasmissions though? That's like saying the Port Authority can regulate how a company sells cod just because it was brought in through their harbour.