U-Times: Judy Interview

In Thursday’s U-Times, there is a good interview with Judy Rose that talks about conference realignment and other stuff. Someone can post it here off Nineronline.com when it is posted there.

was football mentioned?

she probably touted the a-10 as the best possible move (because we don’t have football) and then probably started touting the Atlantic Sun because that is where we are headed next
GET EXCITED

then probably started touting the Atlantic Sun because that is where we are headed next GET EXCITED [IMG]http://www.uscupstate.edu/uploadedImages/athletics/asun2_web%282%29.jpg[/IMG]

Don’t say that!! The very thought is terrifying:weep:

ouch. that would be the worst conference in school history.

A good basketball team will put us in much better shape for the next conference realignment than a bad football team will.

Has Judy Rose ever come out and said she is against a football team? I have a hard time believing she is the person preventing the starting of a Charloter 49ers football program.

A bad football team is better than no football team.

[QUOTE=upstate49er;187506]A bad football team is better than no football team.[/QUOTE]
It depends. When the current Big East splits up into football and non-football, if we have a bad football team, we probably get left out of the whole thing. We get to join a conference with other A10 leftovers and probably some CAA teams and find a 1AA football conference to join. If we have a good basketball program and no football ties, we are in the basketball conference with the best A10 teams and the current Big East teams without football.

I’m all for football, but not if the timing of it leaves us in a true mid-major basketball conference.

[QUOTE=CMack124;187508]It depends. When the current Big East splits up into football and non-football, if we have a bad football team, we probably get left out of the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

Don’t be so sure that the Big East is going to split anytime soon. They just recently signed a 6-year deal with ESPN to broadcast their basketball games.

Anyway, it’s time for Charlotte to toss the pigskin on Saturday afternoon’s.

having football will only make us look worse when nc state and uncch hats are spotted on campus

A good basketball team will put us in much better shape for the next conference realignment than a bad football team will.

I don’t know about that. Look where it got South Florida. It wasn’t their tremendous basketball program that got them into the Big East. The conference wanted another football school, and their bad football team got them into a BCS Conference.

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;187514]I don’t know about that. Look where it got South Florida. It wasn’t their tremendous basketball program that got them into the Big East. The conference wanted another football school, and their bad football team got them into a BCS Conference.[/QUOTE]

everyone has made some fantastic arguments. but south florida got into the big east because of their location. football and basketball had nothing to do with it.

location is also what helped us get into cusa. and we BARELY got in. cusa wanted our media market. then our media market said NO. WE WILL NOT SUPPORT YOU. WE ARE TOO $$INDEBTED$$ TO THE QUEERS IN CHAPEL HILL AND THEIR OVERHYPED CONFERENCE.

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;187514]I don’t know about that. Look where it got South Florida. It wasn’t their tremendous basketball program that got them into the Big East. The conference wanted another football school, and their bad football team got them into a BCS Conference.[/QUOTE]
I think that if the athletic department decided tomorrow that they were going to begin the process of starting a football team here, we wouldn’t be able to beat App. State by the time the Big East split will likely occur. There is South Florida bad and then there is Western Carolina bad, we would be the latter.

Just my $.02, if we could start a program and end up in the Big East for football and basketball in 10 years, I’m pretty sure we would have already started the process.

everyone has made some fantastic arguments. but south florida got into the big east because of their location. football and basketball had nothing to do with it.

location is also what helped us get into cusa. and we BARELY got in. cusa wanted our media market. then our media market said NO. WE WILL NOT SUPPORT YOU. WE ARE TOO $$INDEBTED$$ TO THE QUEERS IN CHAPEL HILL AND THEIR OVERHYPED CONFERENCE.

I think that if the athletic department decided tomorrow that they were going to begin the process of starting a football team here, we wouldn't be able to beat App. State by the time the Big East split will likely occur. There is South Florida bad and then there is Western Carolina bad, we would be the latter.

Just my $.02, if we could start a program and end up in the Big East for football and basketball in 10 years, I’m pretty sure we would have already started the process.

i will be the first to call bullshit on that.

[QUOTE=upstate49er;187506]A bad football team is better than no football team.[/QUOTE]

You might want to check with Duke to make sure. :ohmy:

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;187518]NO. WE WILL NOT SUPPORT YOU. WE ARE TOO $$INDEBTED$$ TO THE QUEERS IN CHAPEL HILL AND THEIR OVERHYPED CONFERENCE.[/QUOTE]

HA HA HA… even ECU gets more pub (across the state) and both their bball and football stink.

(more alums in the state?.. I don’t know)

[QUOTE=CMack124;187503]A good basketball team will put us in much better shape for the next conference realignment than a bad football team will.

Has Judy Rose ever come out and said she is against a football team? I have a hard time believing she is the person preventing the starting of a Charloter 49ers football program.[/QUOTE]

Judy has no interest in doing the work it takes to create a football team, people in the know have said as much. She and the AD have time after time hid behind hollow excuses such as 9/11, the students don’t want a team and we can’t support our basketball team as reason to not even seriously consider a program. That is why the football intiative has taken off. We will do the work and force their hand at some point in the fairly near future.

As for a good basketball team helping us more than a bad football team you are smoking crack. Football is what is dictating every conference realignment. Even if the Big East splits and we are lucky enough to get into the non-football schools group that will suck… where is Looserville? Where is Sincy? Where is UCONN? Syracuse? If we want to play big time college athletics against big time colleges we have to have football… good or bad…case closed.

If you are willing to stake the future of our sports program on the hope that we may get into the left overs of the big east then you are much more optimistic than I. The Big East may not split and in the next alignment we fall even farther down the ladder.

Now I would much rather have a bad football team than no football team, not to mention that a football team, bad or good, will make our basketball program stronger. More fans, more AD donations and more passion from our student body. And really… we will not have to be a very good football team to be the best in this state.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;187530]And really… we will not have to be a very good football team to be the best in this state.[/QUOTE]

You hit that nail on the head.

I thought ECU had the best football program in the state during part of the 90’s, but even their program took a nosedive.

Also, if handled correctly, I think we could pull in quite a few local fans that are not alums. This has always been more of a football city.

Let me weigh in with an argument no one ever makes. Some people don’t like basketball, don’t care about basketball, and won’t watch basketball regardless of whether its their school, some other school, NBA, CBA, WNBA, whatever… A lot of those people are football fans. A lot of those people go to our school. A lot of those people would donate money if we had a football team.

My point is that arguing against a football time by saying we can’t support our other sports is comparing apples to oranges. Football is an entirely different animal than any other sport that is played in the US. I like baseball, but don’t go to baseball games. I like soccer but don’t go to soccer games. I like cheerleaders, but that doesn’t have anything to do with this post.

Football is football. It is not basketball. It is easier to go to a game every other Saturday afternoon (outside) than it is to rush home from work, jam food in your mouth, and rush out to a basketball game, or baseball game, or golf tournament…whatever.

My point is that the people that will support a football team are not necessarily the people that support the other teams. In all actuality, they are people that don’t go to those other events. They are people that are driving a few hours on Saturday morning to catch the game…

Someone undoubtedly will now tell everyone why I am stupid…begin the countdown.