U-Times: Judy Interview

Let me weigh in with an argument no one ever makes. Some people don't like basketball, don't care about basketball, and won't watch basketball regardless of whether its their school, some other school, NBA, CBA, WNBA, whatever... A lot of those people are football fans. A lot of those people go to our school. A lot of those people would donate money if we had a football team.

My point is that arguing against a football time by saying we canā€™t support our other sports is comparing apples to oranges. Football is an entirely different animal than any other sport that is played in the US. I like baseball, but donā€™t go to baseball games. I like soccer but donā€™t go to soccer games. I like cheerleaders, but that doesnā€™t have anything to do with this post.

Football is football. It is not basketball. It is easier to go to a game every other Saturday afternoon (outside) than it is to rush home from work, jam food in your mouth, and rush out to a basketball game, or baseball game, or golf tournamentā€¦whatever.

My point is that the people that will support a football team are not necessarily the people that support the other teams. In all actuality, they are people that donā€™t go to those other events. They are people that are driving a few hours on Saturday morning to catch the gameā€¦

Someone undoubtedly will now tell everyone why I am stupidā€¦begin the countdown.

NAIL ON THE HEAD.

Spoken as the TRUTH

We donā€™t have football because we have a woman athletic directorā€¦PERIOD.
Judyā€™s vision is primarily to carry out Title IX. If we want football we have to have an AD with vision. Here is the problem Judy is going nowhere. She has the dream job. She will never get fired and she will never quit. What is worse is that she will never get another job offer. So therefore we are stuck with her here. Her lack of vision has completely killed my hope for the future in our athletic program. Iā€™m afraid to say that we may have seen the top of the mountain in our CUSA days in terms of big games, national television, etc. The A-10 has us coming down the mountain.

We don't have football because we have a woman athletic director...PERIOD. Judy's vision is primarily to carry out Title IX. If we want football we have to have an AD with vision. Here is the problem Judy is going nowhere. She has the dream job. She will never get fired and she will never quit. What is worse is that she will never get another job offer. So therefore we are stuck with her here. Her lack of vision has completely killed my hope for the future in our athletic program. I'm afraid to say that we may have seen the top of the mountain in our CUSA days in terms of big games, national television, etc. The A-10 has us coming down the mountain.

Spoken as the UNFORTUNATE TRUTH

[QUOTE=Noreaster;187535]Let me weigh in with an argument no one ever makes. Some people donā€™t like basketball, donā€™t care about basketball, and wonā€™t watch basketball regardless of whether its their school, some other school, NBA, CBA, WNBA, whateverā€¦ A lot of those people are football fans. A lot of those people go to our school. A lot of those people would donate money if we had a football team.

My point is that arguing against a football time by saying we canā€™t support our other sports is comparing apples to oranges. Football is an entirely different animal than any other sport that is played in the US. I like baseball, but donā€™t go to baseball games. I like soccer but donā€™t go to soccer games. I like cheerleaders, but that doesnā€™t have anything to do with this post.

Football is football. It is not basketball. It is easier to go to a game every other Saturday afternoon (outside) than it is to rush home from work, jam food in your mouth, and rush out to a basketball game, or baseball game, or golf tournamentā€¦whatever.

My point is that the people that will support a football team are not necessarily the people that support the other teams. In all actuality, they are people that donā€™t go to those other events. They are people that are driving a few hours on Saturday morning to catch the gameā€¦

Someone undoubtedly will now tell everyone why I am stupidā€¦begin the countdown.[/QUOTE]

Excellent points.

I have a question. Does anyone know if we have at least looked into the possible conference affiliations for a football team? Iā€™m talking about not only a conference for a start-up program, but also potential possibilities down the road.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;187530]Judy has no interest in doing the work it takes to create a football team, people in the know have said as much. She and the AD have time after time hid behind hollow excuses such as 9/11, the students donā€™t want a team and we canā€™t support our basketball team as reason to not even seriously consider a program. That is why the football intiative has taken off. We will do the work and force their hand at some point in the fairly near future.

As for a good basketball team helping us more than a bad football team you are smoking crack. Football is what is dictating every conference realignment. Even if the Big East splits and we are lucky enough to get into the non-football schools group that will suckā€¦ where is Looserville? Where is Sincy? Where is UCONN? Syracuse? If we want to play big time college athletics against big time colleges we have to have footballā€¦ good or badā€¦case closed.

If you are willing to stake the future of our sports program on the hope that we may get into the left overs of the big east then you are much more optimistic than I. The Big East may not split and in the next alignment we fall even farther down the ladder.

Now I would much rather have a bad football team than no football team, not to mention that a football team, bad or good, will make our basketball program stronger. More fans, more AD donations and more passion from our student body. And reallyā€¦ we will not have to be a very good football team to be the best in this state.[/QUOTE]
Judy is our AD-FYI

Judy is our AD-FYI

But AD can also mean Athletic Deparment, not just Athletic Director.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;187530]Judy has no interest in doing the work it takes to create a football team, people in the know have said as much. She and the AD have time after time hid behind hollow excuses such as 9/11, the students donā€™t want a team and we canā€™t support our basketball team as reason to not even seriously consider a program. That is why the football intiative has taken off. We will do the work and force their hand at some point in the fairly near future.

As for a good basketball team helping us more than a bad football team you are smoking crack. Football is what is dictating every conference realignment. Even if the Big East splits and we are lucky enough to get into the non-football schools group that will suckā€¦ where is Looserville? Where is Sincy? Where is UCONN? Syracuse? If we want to play big time college athletics against big time colleges we have to have footballā€¦ good or badā€¦case closed.

If you are willing to stake the future of our sports program on the hope that we may get into the left overs of the big east then you are much more optimistic than I. The Big East may not split and in the next alignment we fall even farther down the ladder.

Now I would much rather have a bad football team than no football team, not to mention that a football team, bad or good, will make our basketball program stronger. More fans, more AD donations and more passion from our student body. And reallyā€¦ we will not have to be a very good football team to be the best in this state.[/QUOTE]

My point was that if we started a football team tomorrow we wouldnā€™t be sniffing D-1A status by the time the Big East splits. Having a D-1AA football team when another conference alignment takes place isnā€™t going to help us at all. We wouldnā€™t be accepted into the Big East fooball conference and the basketball conference would probably stay away knowing we would willingly jump ship the second we could get our football program into D-1A.

You said football directs every conference realignment, which is true, would you rather have the fate of our athletic programs be directed by a D-1AA football team or our basketball program who has been to the NCAA tournament 7 of the past 10 years? I will gladly place our future on a succesful basketball program than rolling the dice right now with a football team when the landscape of east coast college atheltic conferences is on the verge of another major shakeup.

I am all for a football team, the efforts being made to generate interest in an organized mannor is great, but if/when the school does decide to start a team, timing is everything.

[QUOTE=Noreaster;187557]But AD can also mean Athletic Deparment, not just Athletic Director.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That is exactly what I was saying.

[QUOTE=CMack124;187558]My point was that if we started a football team tomorrow we wouldnā€™t be sniffing D-1A status by the time the Big East splits. Having a D-1AA football team when another conference alignment takes place isnā€™t going to help us at all. We wouldnā€™t be accepted into the Big East fooball conference and the basketball conference would probably stay away knowing we would willingly jump ship the second we could get our football program into D-1A.

You said football directs every conference realignment, which is true, would you rather have the fate of our athletic programs be directed by a D-1AA football team or our basketball program who has been to the NCAA tournament 7 of the past 10 years? I will gladly place our future on a succesful basketball program than rolling the dice right now with a football team when the landscape of east coast college atheltic conferences is on the verge of another major shakeup.

I am all for a football team, the efforts being made to generate interest in an organized mannor is great, but if/when the school does decide to start a team, timing is everything.[/QUOTE]

You mean our basketball ball program that is so strong that it has not gotten past the second round since 1977? You mean the one that was so dominant we still had to beg our way into C-USA? Or the program that has landed us in the outstanding A10? The concept that we have a fantastic program is off base, we have a strong program that is well above average, but not the type of program that a BCS league is going to want. A strong basketball program is great, but it is not going to do much for us during realigments. The big dogs play football and if we arenā€™t playing football then we are not playing with the big boys. Maybe you are happy with that, but I am not.

The cost of us STILL not seriously considering football is going to be steep. This process should have started when we backed into CUSA, but the administration is lazy and without vision. Every college sports fan sees this is how things are playing out yet we do nothing. If we had started things 10 years ago we would be on the cusp of joining a BCS league with the next shake-up, instead we are left waiting and hoping that we can just land somewhere decent.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;187567]You mean our basketball ball program that is so strong that it has not gotten past the second round since 1977? You mean the one that was so dominant we still had to beg our way into C-USA? Or the program that has landed us in the outstanding A10? The concept that we have a fantastic program is off base, we have a strong program that is well above average, but not the type of program that a BCS league is going to want. A strong basketball program is great, but it is not going to do much for us during realigments. The big dogs play football and if we arenā€™t playing football then we are not playing with the big boys. Maybe you are happy with that, but I am not.

The cost of us STILL not seriously considering football is going to be steep. This process should have started when we backed into CUSA, but the administration is lazy and without vision. Every college sports fan sees this is how things are playing out yet we do nothing. If we had started things 10 years ago we would be on the cusp of joining a BCS league with the next shake-up, instead we are left waiting and hoping that we can just land somewhere decent.[/QUOTE]
You said it brother!!!

[QUOTE=WBNiner;187567]You mean our basketball ball program that is so strong that it has not gotten past the second round since 1977? You mean the one that was so dominant we still had to beg our way into C-USA? Or the program that has landed us in the outstanding A10? The concept that we have a fantastic program is off base, we have a strong program that is well above average, but not the type of program that a BCS league is going to want. A strong basketball program is great, but it is not going to do much for us during realigments. The big dogs play football and if we arenā€™t playing football then we are not playing with the big boys. Maybe you are happy with that, but I am not.

The cost of us STILL not seriously considering football is going to be steep. This process should have started when we backed into CUSA, but the administration is lazy and without vision. Every college sports fan sees this is how things are playing out yet we do nothing. If we had started things 10 years ago we would be on the cusp of joining a BCS league with the next shake-up, instead we are left waiting and hoping that we can just land somewhere decent.[/QUOTE]

PREACH ON!!!

[QUOTE=mineshaft;187549]Here is the problem Bobby is going nowhere. He has the dream job. He will never get fired and he will never quit. What is worse is that he will never get another job offer. So therefore we are stuck with him here. His lack of vision has completely killed my hope for the future in our basketball program. Iā€™m afraid to say that we may have seen the top of the mountain in our CUSA days in terms of big games, national television, etc. The A-10 has us coming down the mountain.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, couldnt resist fixing that. Since I am now THE OFFICIAL Broken Record Forum Troll.

If we had started things 10 years ago we would be on the cusp of joining a BCS league with the next shake-up, instead we are left waiting and hoping that we can just land somewhere decent.

10 years ago construction would have also cost close to half what it does now.

My point was that if we started a football team tomorrow we wouldn't be sniffing D-1A status by the time the Big East splits. Having a D-1AA football team when another conference alignment takes place isn't going to help us at all. We wouldn't be accepted into the Big East fooball conference and the basketball conference would probably stay away knowing we would willingly jump ship the second we could get our football program into D-1A.

I am all for a football team, the efforts being made to generate interest in an organized mannor is great, but if/when the school does decide to start a team, timing is everything.

The next confrence alignment isnā€™t exactly on the horizon. We know its going to come at some point but I donā€™t think any of us can see when. Iā€™d guess 10 years before any big change happens. If we got our team now, Iā€™d think we would be in alright shape by then. If not, we would be in great shape by the time the next one happens. I just donā€™t see how waiting is a good option at all. The sooner we get this team rollin, the sooner we start reaping all the many benefits it will bring us.

[QUOTE=49or bust;187577]The next confrence alignment isnā€™t exactly on the horizon. We know its going to come at some point but I donā€™t think any of us can see when. Iā€™d guess 10 years before any big change happens. If we got our team now, Iā€™d think we would be in alright shape by then. If not, we would be in great shape by the time the next one happens. I just donā€™t see how waiting is a good option at all. The sooner we get this team rollin, the sooner we start reaping all the many benefits it will bring us.[/QUOTE]

Agreedā€¦I dont see a realignment happening soonā€¦but that doesnt mean the ball should not start rollingā€¦

Judy should at least address the students and alumni formally and let us know where we stand on it. Are they even thinking about it??? Phil just seems obsessed with growing the student population to crazy numbers!!

[QUOTE=casstommy;187584]Agreedā€¦I dont see a realignment happening soonā€¦but that doesnt mean the ball should not start rollingā€¦

Judy should at least address the students and alumni formally and let us know where we stand on it. Are they even thinking about it??? Phil just seems obsessed with growing the student population to crazy numbers!![/QUOTE]

Yeah some of the figures I have seen seem crazy, but I guess if we are sporting a student population of equal or larger size than Chapel Hill and Raleigh it will make it awfully hard for the state to ignore us when it comes to funding.

It will also make it difficult to ignore lack of football. More students does mean more student fees which means easier to start football???

Yeah some of the figures I have seen seem crazy, but I guess if we are sporting a student population of equal or larger size than Chapel Hill and Raleigh it will make it awfully hard for the state to ignore us when it comes to funding.

It will also make it difficult to ignore lack of football. More students does mean more student fees which means easier to start football???

side note but more students should mean more parking decks right?..please?..seriously

one is under construction right knowā€¦ that will help. But I see commuters jamming that funky 70 degree uphill road. Its prime location

reason number 49,000,000:

Providence Day didnā€™t chant ā€œLets Field Hockeyā€ hahaha ā€œLets Play Field Hockey!ā€ Lets Play Field Hockey" hahaha

You would rather let an upstart D-1AA football team guide us than a successful basketball program? I never called us a ā€œdominantā€ team, we have been a very good team.

Everything I have said is based on the belief that the Big East, as it is today, wonā€™t be around 6-7 years from now. If you are under the assumption the BE will stay as it is for 15 years or so, then a football team started soon may actually be in position to help us when the BE split occurs, rather than hurt us (as it would 5-7 years from now).

You are completely correct about missing the boat 10 years ago, but rushing into a decision now will do nothing to fix that mistake. I think the step for the next year or two for the school is to take a serious look at football and the conference landscape. If it is the belief that the BE isnā€™t splitting anytime soon, then I compeltely agree that a football team should be an immediate priority.