UAB announces $7.5 million contract with Under Armor

UAB's product allowance will start at $1,075,000 and Under Armour will pay UAB a $50,000 rights fee each year. The contract can be renewed for an additional three years by mutually consenting in writing by Oct. 1, 2022.

The average product allowance over the seven-year span is around $1,026,000; a number that Ingram said is around three to four times higher than its previous deal with Nike and a number significantly higher than what Nike and Adidas offered.

Is it too much to hope our AD is thinking about this?

Also thought this was cool:

The contract also states that Under Armour can produce a commemorative football uniform and certain sideline products to honor UAB's return to competitive action in 2017.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:1, topic:30557”]http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/how_uabs_contract_with_under_a.html

UAB's product allowance will start at $1,075,000 and Under Armour will pay UAB a $50,000 rights fee each year. The contract can be renewed for an additional three years by mutually consenting in writing by Oct. 1, 2022.

The average product allowance over the seven-year span is around $1,026,000; a number that Ingram said is around three to four times higher than its previous deal with Nike and a number significantly higher than what Nike and Adidas offered.

The contract also states that Under Armour can produce a commemorative football uniform and certain sideline products to honor UAB's return to competitive action in 2017.
[/quote]

Meanwhile in Charlotte we get no money…

[quote=“sportsman1417, post:2, topic:30557”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:1, topic:30557”]http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/how_uabs_contract_with_under_a.html

[/quote]

Meanwhile in Charlotte we get no money…[/quote]

We should have tried to trick the Nike Reps when they visited into thinking we were U of Oregon’s east coast campus. Made norm wear a duckbill. Stuff like that. Then we’d have got their top line shit for free.

[font=lyon text][size=18px] ¯_(ツ)/¯ - OUR CHANCELLOR[/size][/font]
[font=lyon text][size=18px] ¯_(ツ)
/¯ - OUR AD[/size][/font]
[font=lyon text][size=18px]¯_(ツ)/¯ - OUR FANS[/size][/font]
[font=lyon text][size=18px]¯_(ツ)
/¯ - OUR CITY[/size][/font]

Your hurting feelings NWA! ::slight_smile:

Your hurting feelings NWA! ::)[/quote]

I know - I know. Maybe I can get a phone call again. Boo hoo they work hard… blah blah blah.

I don’t think our fans have that attitude in general. We just don’t have enough of them. No correlation between # posts here and fan commitment though. We all agree that life needs to be pumped into this program. Winning itself would do wonders to maintain those on the fringe as well as bringing in new ones.

I don’t think our fans have that attitude in general. We just don’t have enough of them. No correlation between # posts here and fan commitment though. We all agree that life needs to be pumped into this program. Winning itself would do wonders to maintain those on the fringe as well as bringing in new ones.[/quote]

Maybe not all of them - but we have die hard fans here now disengaging from the program. Our casual fans are gone, diehard fans are becoming casual fans.

We need to win, in something that matters - soon. We need new leadership - soon. We need a vision - soon.

I don’t think our fans have that attitude in general. We just don’t have enough of them. No correlation between # posts here and fan commitment though. We all agree that life needs to be pumped into this program. Winning itself would do wonders to maintain those on the fringe as well as bringing in new ones.[/quote]

Maybe not all of them - but we have die hard fans here now disengaging from the program. Our casual fans are gone, diehard fans are becoming casual fans.

We need to win, in something that matters - soon. We need new leadership - soon. We need a vision - soon.[/quote]
I said this in the SB and this seems like a good place to repeat it.
I don’t like the idea of us as a fanbase sitting down and accepting this. Trying to enact a change at worst will fail and Judy will retire in a couple years anyways or at best, change the direction of the athletic department.

We need to win, in something that matters - soon. We need new leadership - soon. We need a vision - soon.[/quote]
I don’t like the idea of us as a fanbase sitting down and accepting this. Trying to enact a change at worst will fail and Judy will retire in a couple years anyways or at best, change the direction of the athletic department.[/quote]

She will leave soon and that will be a good thing. With each year that ticks by though the apthy grows deeper. I mean I figure I am pretty passionate, I have disliked the AD for 20 years but I am still here. With that said I am even feeling the drag of apathy on me. We can’t make Judy leave, we can’t make the on field or court performance change, we can’t make the AD change - all we can do is sit here and hope for better and that gets taxing after a few years or a decade.

I don’t like the idea of us as a fanbase sitting down and accepting this. Trying to enact a change at worst will fail and Judy will retire in a couple years anyways or at best, change the direction of the athletic department.[/quote]

2012, I don’t know how much you know about the last few years so I apologize if you already know this. NWA went to the last coaches meeting a few years ago and handed out papers that gave the athletic departments history over the last 10, she was there, she made a big fuss and pouted and later said people’s feelings were hurt. I hate to say it because I do love my school but the fanbases hands really seemed tied. I don’t know what else we can really do short of storming the Chan house with pitch forks… ha and we almost did do that to get football.

2012, I don’t know how much you know about the last few years so I apologize if you already know this. NWA went to the last coaches meeting a few years ago and handed out papers that gave the athletic departments history over the last 10, she was there, she made a big fuss and pouted and later said people’s feelings were hurt. I hate to say it because I do love my school but the fanbases hands really seemed tied. I don’t know what else we can really do short of storming the Chan house with pitch forks… ha and we almost did do that to get football.[/quote]

Let’s give her credit where credit is due. She is probably the most passionate AD in CUSA when it comes to women’s basketball, and that program has become a NIT Regular (I think). Let’s also not forget she spent 20 years fighting for football.

Someone mentioned diehard fans becoming casual fans. It pains me to say this, but that defines the way I am starting to feel. It would be nice if she at least conveyed a vision.

She will leave soon and that will be a good thing. With each year that ticks by though the apthy grows deeper. I mean I figure I am pretty passionate, I have disliked the AD for 20 years but I am still here. With that said I am even feeling the drag of apathy on me. We can’t make Judy leave, we can’t make the on field or court performance change, we can’t make the AD change - all we can do is sit here and hope for better and that gets taxing after a few years or a decade.[/quote]

"I'm still here because I haven't finished what I set out to do," says Judy Rose, UNC Charlotte's athletic director since 1990.

http://exponential.uncc.edu/resources

That doesn’t sound like somebody about to leave soon. She has to know that if she leaves all of her #family grandkids’ parents will be without jobs. Dubois similarly has indicated in his convocation speech that he’s not leaving either. It could be another 10 years like this given they’re only approaching 65 years old.

/debbiedowner

She will leave soon and that will be a good thing. With each year that ticks by though the apthy grows deeper. I mean I figure I am pretty passionate, I have disliked the AD for 20 years but I am still here. With that said I am even feeling the drag of apathy on me. We can’t make Judy leave, we can’t make the on field or court performance change, we can’t make the AD change - all we can do is sit here and hope for better and that gets taxing after a few years or a decade.[/quote]

"I'm still here because I haven't finished what I set out to do," says Judy Rose, UNC Charlotte's athletic director since 1990.

http://exponential.uncc.edu/resources

That doesn’t sound like somebody about to leave soon. She has to know that if she leaves all of her #family grandkids’ parents will be without jobs. Dubois similarly has indicated in his convocation speech that he’s not leaving either. It could be another 10 years like this given they’re only approaching 65 years old.

/debbiedowner[/quote]

If they are still here in 10 years - I may not be.

2012, I don’t know how much you know about the last few years so I apologize if you already know this. NWA went to the last coaches meeting a few years ago and handed out papers that gave the athletic departments history over the last 10, she was there, she made a big fuss and pouted and later said people’s feelings were hurt. I hate to say it because I do love my school but the fanbases hands really seemed tied. I don’t know what else we can really do short of storming the Chan house with pitch forks… ha and we almost did do that to get football.[/quote]

To be honest, who gives a flying F if her feelings are hurt.

We as a group need to start being more vocal with how we feel. College athletics is a business, she hasn’t delivered in a long long time. As the shareholders in the program, we need to start articulating consistently that we are not happy. Items like the handing out the paper, social media tidbits, etc etc.

It might (and probably wont) lead anywhere, but letting the powers that be know that the few remaining fans are starting to get unhappy might change things or even change how they act.

We as a group need to start being more vocal with how we feel. College athletics is a business, she hasn’t delivered in a long long time. As the shareholders in the program, we need to start articulating consistently that we are not happy. Items like the handing out the paper, social media tidbits, etc etc.

It might (and probably wont) lead anywhere, but letting the powers that be know that the few remaining fans are starting to get unhappy might change things or even change how they act.[/quote]

This is where the argument doesn’t work, because that is not how Phil sees it nor is it how Judy sees it. Their #1 goal as stated by Judy is the experience of student athletes. It isn’t winning, it isnt alumni engagement, it isn’t fundraising. What we have is a philosophical difference in the role or athletics and how that should be managed and executed against. To be honest with you I think the BOG if not directly, then indirectly is perfectly fine with and supports this approach.

It might (and probably wont) lead anywhere, but letting the powers that be know that the few remaining fans are starting to get unhappy might change things or even change how they act.[/quote]

This is where the argument doesn’t work, because that is not how Phil sees it nor is it how Judy sees it. Their #1 goal as stated by Judy is the experience of student athletes. It isn’t winning, it isnt alumni engagement, it isn’t fundraising. What we have is a philosophical difference in the role or athletics and how that should be managed and executed against. To be honest with you I think the BOG if not directly, then indirectly is perfectly fine with and supports this approach.[/quote]

If you want to argue on their terms, its the simple fact that the experience of the student athlete is a lot better for them when you win. Heck that was the excuse that LSU gave when they fired Les Miles.
It opens up more doors and gives them more opportunities.

If there is a change in the AD it is going to have to come from the students. Judy is enhancing the experience of athletes essentially at their cost and they are getting zero in return.

This is why her statement makes no sense. It is also why basketball and football should receive the lion’s share of the AD’s focus, not to only generate more revenue but to increase the enjoyment of the student’s experience who are funding such a large portion of the athletic department.

Judy uses that logic because it makes her job easier, taking away the pressure to produce winning teams and raise funds from existing and NEW fans.

I get the impression Phil agrees with this approach and I would not be surprised if he was encouraging it.

I understand she was definitely concerned about winning and losing when she was coaching basketball.