UAB @ Charlotte 1/15 5PM ESPNU; 1/16 4PM ESPN+

Sanchez always looks like he just found out his wife gave away the family dog.

At least our coach owned the loss, said it was unacceptable, apologized to the fans, and said he would make changes to get us back on track.

I think the Blazer’s hire of Andy Kennedy is a great one. Andy had some Gregg Marshall moments with a cab driver a few years ago, but he is a winner. He was tough as nails as a player, and is as a coach. He is only 52, but he is old school in that there will be no participation trophies. When UAB loses, the learning Kennedy will deliver will be so they can win the next time, not so players can learn to feel better about the loss. Because of our history with this team, and this coach, we could finally have an important rivalry in this conference, but only if we win our share. This weekend’s games may be the most important ones on our schedule this year.

1 Like

Thats all great and I am glad he did - but we still lost to the Abbey - after earlier unacceptable losses. I know I don’t have to tell you, but if losing to App didn’t tell you things are going off track or if it did and you couldnt get it fixed then it is hard for me to take you serious as a coach that NOW you are going to make changes. The time for that was over a month ago.

1 Like

Agree with all of that. And AK will bring UAB back to the top. Their star is rising…

Yeah that was sarcasm. He didn’t do any of that. He is a failure as a leader. Leaders own their failures.

2 Likes

HAHA I was about to say where ever he said that I missed it.

When you’re on the journey you can’t take the elevator and skip the steps. There are no shortcuts grasshopper.

Had to re-aquaint myself with Kennedy’s alleged run-in with the Cincy cabbie back in 2008. See that a defamation lawsuit brought by AK was settled in 2010.

Friday’s game will mark the 50th all time meeting between the schools, dating back to the Sun Belt days. UAB leads the series 31-18, but the Niners have won the past two matchups.

The Blazers (9-1, 2-0 C-USA West) are currently the highest ranked conference team in the NET at #66; Niners are #155, which is 8th best among C-USA.

Big O pregame from Steve Lyttle:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/charlotte-49ers/article248519580.html

It confuses me. Last year UAB was bad enough that they fired their coach, and now they are top of the conference. How did they pull that off so quickly? Do they have more pillars than we do?

3 Likes

Maybe they just focus on the only one that matters: winning.

Basketball is not a 5 year rebuild. Football requires dozens of good players to field a quality team. Basketball needs either 5 good players or 3 very good players and 3-5 more decent role players. With the strength and conditioning programs and quality nationwide competition high school gets see today in travel ball leagues, they’re more prepared than ever to make a smooth transition to college ball. Sucking after year two, IMO, is unacceptable. Not saying you have to be 27-3 by year three, but we should be in the conversation for winning the
League. If not, chances are, the coach isn’t it.

“It was a painful but beautiful lesson that the players needed, and the coaches needed,” Sanchez said of last Saturday’s loss. “We just lost our way.”

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/charlotte-49ers/article248519580.html#storylink=cpy

I can’t take it anymore. I was really high on this guy. But statements like these are ridiculous.

2 Likes

Terrible… but why would the coaches need that lesson? That’s a new one for me.

This has to be a joke. I don’t even know what to say. A beautiful lesson? Yeah, this guy deserves eight years. :roll_eyes: If my eyes popped out of my head I would not be rolling them hard enough.

1 Like

At least he took partial ownership of it.

I guess we’ll see after this weekend just how beautiful the lesson was…

2 Likes