UAB football

This brings up so many questions that could apply to us.

1. Who will CUSA get to replace them?

2. Is this an anomaly or is this the leading edge of a trend: G5 schools having to shut down FB due to finances?

3. Should CUSA just add three instead of one, with the goal being two hyper regionalized conferences to lower costs and also prepare for the possibility of a full split down the road if there is some other seismic shift?

And one comment. To all Alabama power brokers who would never let UAB build an on campus appropriately sized stadium and for every other slight they have endured please go f*** yourself. Hopefully Karma will be a real b**** for you one day.

[quote=“Gassman, post:61, topic:29110”]This brings up so many questions that could apply to us.

1. Who will CUSA get to replace them?[/quote]

Hopefully no one.

2. Is this an anomaly or is this the leading edge of a trend: G5 schools having to shut down FB due to finances?

There are enough academoids out there who are set against collegiate athletics to take this as a shot across all of our bows.

3. Should CUSA just add three instead of one, with the goal being two hyper regionalized conferences to lower costs and also prepare for the possibility of a full split down the road if there is some other seismic shift?

Go ahead and split it. Let the southwestern teams (USM, LaTech, North Texas, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP) pick out whatever teams in their area that they want.

On the Eastern end, Charlotte, ODU, MT, WKU, and Marshall make a hell of a core in my book. Add in Appy, Ohio, and either Liberty or JMU, and you’ve got a solid eight. All conference opponents but MT and WKU would be within a six-hour drive of Charlotte. The longest road trip for anybody in the conference (ODU/WKU) would be 11 hours.

Compare that with our current set up (a whopping 28 hours between ODU and UTEP) and we’re already maximizing bus trips instead of plane trips, and more traveling fans mean more tickets sold, both to visiting fans and to home fans due to the interest of geographically significant games.

And one comment. To all Alabama power brokers who would never let UAB build an on campus appropriately sized stadium and for every other slight they have endured please go f*** yourself. Hopefully Karma will be a real b**** for you one day.
From my facebook post, my Christmas wish is for Paul Bryant, Jr to wake up after Alabama loses to Mizzou to find an e-mail from Nick Saban that reads: "Left at about midnight. On to bigger and better things. Suggest giving Bill Clark a look... I hear he's looking for a job."

http://www.sunherald.com/2014/11/30/5944033/end-is-near-for-uab-football-what.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

Interesting article on the end of UAB football and what it will mean for C-USA

I hate what appears to be happening w/UAB…it is truly a travesty. That being said…who might replace them in CUSA…App?

I would love to hear that our staff had reached out to their players, if/when the time comes.

Many will want to stick it to Bama if they can get on an sec roster. But we’d be able to offer pt right away, especially on D.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:65, topic:29110”]I would love to hear that our staff had reached out to their plauers, if/when the time comes.

Many will want to stick it to bama if they can get on an sec roster. But we’d be able to offer pt right away, especially on D.[/quote]

Let’s let the body cool first…

What drugs are you on?

Here’s a good read answering your question.
http://www.sunherald.com/2014/11/30/5944033/end-is-near-for-uab-football-what.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:66, topic:29110”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:65, topic:29110”]I would love to hear that our staff had reached out to their plauers, if/when the time comes.

Many will want to stick it to bama if they can get on an sec roster. But we’d be able to offer pt right away, especially on D.[/quote]

Let’s let the body cool first…[/quote]

Dont be naive. They will get calls the next day.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:69, topic:29110”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:66, topic:29110”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:65, topic:29110”]I would love to hear that our staff had reached out to their plauers, if/when the time comes.

Let’s let the body cool first…[/quote]

Dont be naive. They will get calls the next day.[/quote]

Exactly… Early bird gets the worm

What drugs are you on?[/quote]

They had a hell of a first season in the Sun Belt… They are better than our Florida teams. But screw them

Hopefully they look to JMU

What drugs are you on?[/quote]

They had a hell of a first season in the Sun Belt… They are better than our Florida teams. But screw them

Hopefully they look to JMU[/quote]

Why not Georgia Southern?

coastal.

I would go with South Alabama. Football is on the rise and they do care about basketball.

I won’t be surprised if some App fans start “assuming” they are the preferred team to join CUSA. Some of them probably still think the ACC wants them in a couple of years.

I would personally love to see App St in our conference. That would be a natural rival for us and would even step up a notch or two if we were conference foes. That’s something we could really use. We need a rivalry, especially in football!

Your rival doesnt have to be in your league. Many are not. Look at Clemson-USC.

Just schedule ECU and App every year, home and home.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:77, topic:29110”]Your rival doesnt have to be in your league. Many are not. Look at Clemson-USC.

Just schedule ECU and App every year, home and home.[/quote]

Especially if we can get C-USA to give us the Saturday after Thanksgiving for App.

Frankly, I don’t see ECU giving us a home-and-home for some time. They’re just not going to agree to it.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:77, topic:29110”]Your rival doesnt have to be in your league. Many are not. Look at Clemson-USC.

Here are some other examples:

Florida and Florida State
Georgia and Georgia Tech
App State and Michigan

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:78, topic:29110”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:77, topic:29110”]Your rival doesnt have to be in your league. Many are not. Look at Clemson-USC.

Especially if we can get C-USA to give us the Saturday after Thanksgiving for App.

Frankly, I don’t see ECU giving us a home-and-home for some time. They’re just not going to agree to it.[/quote]

Lambert said earlier this season that a home & home with ECU was being discussed. He may have even used a more definite word, like arranged.