UAB football

If we can get consistent games against ECU and App that would be great. Wouldn’t it be better if we had App in our conference though, that way it’s a guaranteed game and hopefully we get some OOC games with ACC or SEC teams.

We are already competing with App for recruits. I don’t see how having them in the same conference hurts us more than it helps.

Call me a dreamer but those two road games I went to this year really sold me on the idea of a southeastern core of schools that we could drive to.

Being in the same conference as the close CUSA schools plus JMU, App, Georgia Southern, Coastal, etc. would be pretty cool.

Of course it probably won’t happen but I’m just not sure how long this can sustain itself with the G5 flying all their teams all over the place.

The shoe is going to drop if the next round of TV contracts doesn’t go the G5s way.

As far as not adding another school, don’t they have too? It will throw scheduling off without another team won’t it?

App brings nothing to a conference except 23000 people to Boone 6 days a year.

[quote=“Gassman, post:81, topic:29110”]If we can get consistent games against ECU and App that would be great. Wouldn’t it be better if we had App in our conference though, that way it’s a guaranteed game and hopefully we get some OOC games with ACC or SEC teams.

We are already competing with App for recruits. I don’t see how having them in the same conference hurts us more than it helps.

Call me a dreamer but those two road games I went to this year really sold me on the idea of a southeastern core of schools that we could drive to.

Being in the same conference as the close CUSA schools plus JMU, App, Georgia Southern, Coastal, etc. would be pretty cool.

Of course it probably won’t happen but I’m just not sure how long this can sustain itself with the G5 flying all their teams all over the place.

The shoe is going to drop if the next round of TV contracts doesn’t go the G5s way.

As far as not adding another school, don’t they have too? It will throw scheduling off without another team won’t it?[/quote]

We could just wait until something happens and a spot opens up in the MWC. We’ll be back to 12 the next day.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:80, topic:29110”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:78, topic:29110”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:77, topic:29110”]Your rival doesnt have to be in your league. Many are not. Look at Clemson-USC.

Just schedule ECU and App every year, home and home.[/quote]

Especially if we can get C-USA to give us the Saturday after Thanksgiving for App.

Frankly, I don’t see ECU giving us a home-and-home for some time. They’re just not going to agree to it.[/quote]

Lambert said earlier this season that a home & home with ECU was being discussed. He may have even used a more definite word, like arranged.[/quote]

Well that game would be a guaranteed sellout, unfortunately I think the Pirate fans would account for a 4th of the attendance.

App brings nothing to a conference except 23000 people to Boone 6 days a year.[/quote]

^^^^

App brings nothing to a conference except 23000 people to Boone 6 days a year.[/quote]

Well, that’s better than a lot of our conference mates can say…

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:83, topic:29110”][quote=“Gassman, post:81, topic:29110”]If we can get consistent games against ECU and App that would be great. Wouldn’t it be better if we had App in our conference though, that way it’s a guaranteed game and hopefully we get some OOC games with ACC or SEC teams.

As far as not adding another school, don’t they have too? It will throw scheduling off without another team won’t it?[/quote]

We could just wait until something happens and a spot opens up in the MWC. We’ll be back to 12 the next day.[/quote]and then the conference would absolutely be a dumpster fire for basketball. There would be no room left for debate.

I wasn’t on the board much back when we first got football and there was unknowns about our conference.

Was there a lot of hot debate of whether to try to go best FB situation possible or stay in A10 and place football in some FCS conference or stay independent?

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:55, topic:29110”]http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24839675/uab-football-isnt-alone-in-losing-money-for-athletic-departments

Look at some of those numbers![/quote]

I wonder of we land on that list next year?

Read it:

[quote=“Gassman, post:88, topic:29110”]I wasn’t on the board much back when we first got football and there was unknowns about our conference.

Was there a lot of hot debate of whether to try to go best FB situation possible or stay in A10 and place football in some FCS conference or stay independent?[/quote]
There was a lot of talk about this. The Southern Conference was interested ina football-only arrangement until we sent them our budget numbers and then they said talking to us was a waste of our time because they would never let us in with a budget that dwarfed their other teams. The SoCon and CAA said they would love to take us for all sports, but not football only. We have just finished two years of what our independent schedule would look like, and that is not sustainable. We were at a fork in the road where going to the CAA in all sports was probably our best option and then realignment cranked up again. This dropped Sun Belt and C-USA opportunities into our lap and here we are.

Not that many very often.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:90, topic:29110”]Read it:

Yeah, I don’t see how an educated fan could ever pull for anything Crimson Tide again. It’s utterly disgusting what the power and greed of that University is doing to competitive collegiate athletics. I realize they are not the only P5 school operating this way, but I get the impression that they lead the pack.

Well the good news is that there will be lots of players with FBS experience looking for a new home and that (hopefully) can play right away. Also reduces the number of FBS schools going after the same recruits we are going after.

The bad is we are losing a conference mate who was turning it around and may go to a bowl game this year. This also sets a dangerous precedent for other “big time” universities of simply blowing up the smaller schools sports whenever they want / feel threatened.

The UAB scenario is so different from other school’s setup. There may not be another school in the nation that has to worry about it the way UAB did.

We are probably in a better position to take multiple UAB players than anyone one else. Our available scholarship slots increase next year, and we have “opened up” a few spots this year by kicking kids off the team. I am sure we could benefit from picking up some of these players, but we can also offer a way to let some of them stay together and hopefully make this lousy situation a little less lousy for them.

I believe (albeit with no research other than the top of my head) that Missouri and Wisconsin have similar setups.

Yep. I am sure Troy, South Alabama, and Alabama State will get a lot of them, but Darin Spease started his career at UAB, and could probably give us the inside track to a lot of those kids as well.

Birmingham reporter said on Facebook that he has heard some of the higher level officials say they are worried this could also be the end of UAB’s undergraduate programs. This seems to be in line with what a UAB poster said on C-USAbbs about UAT growing too fast and needing more undergraduate students to pay the bill they’ve racked up because of the growth. That poster said that UAT would try to end UAB’s undergraduate programs so many of those students would have to go to UAT instead.

That would effectively shut UAB athletics down makes sense that they are firing the athletic director as well.