UCONN leaving AAC

I know people on the outside looking in may not think very much of us but the App St argument is so laughable it’s not even funny.

They are a tiny school tucked away in a small mountain town no where near a major airport or a media market that does well in one sport. They don’t have the facilities, the budget, the size, the market or success or support in any other sport on campus.

SunBelt or CUSA is their ceiling. But all of those things holding them back, with all due respect is what makes them App St. The small town, small school, out in the boondocks is the charm that makes them App St and what makes those students want to go there. But that’s exactly why they can never be included in a major conference.

We have the location, the enrollment size, the facilities, the history of success in a number of sports (basketball, soccer, baseball, golf and now track and field)…but now we add to that the leadership running this place like a P5 program today.

We have an SEC connected AD who has already hired a Deputy AD in charge of our brand and marketing from a similar position from Syracuse…he hired a basketball coach that was the Assoc HC for the National Champions and top program in the country for several years running…he just recently hired a softball coach from an SEC power that was the 2019 National Pitching Coach of the year. He is hiring P5 studs in his admin dept and in coaching positions. The one coach he hired without a P5 pedigree in football came with loads of references from those P5 schools like Dabo.

The leadership and the direction of the dept and the culture change is evident in less than 2 years…combined with the demographics we are literally a no-brainer for the AAC.

App can’t hold a candle to ANY of that…not even close.

They are at their ceiling…we are just starting to take the first step of a very long climb to ours.

At least in my humble and yet slightly biased opinion.

2 Likes

clt says David Scott should be embarrassed for even discussing appy to aac.

Don’t worry guys! Hill got this! 5D Chess!

StarTrekChess

3 Likes

I love this quote from this article https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/6/25/18758838/uconn-big-east-american-conference-kickout-tulsa-ecu

“Anyone from the Sun Belt? With apologies to the great football traditions of Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, there are more people that can see me typing this on Tampa’s Howard Avenue than live in your cities, and this is a big-market league. Your athletics budgets reflect this too.”

Football matters…but so does about a dozen more things and quite a few of those other things are actually more important.

That’s why we will always have a shot…because we have so many of those other things. We simply need to prove we have the leadership and the commitment to build up the rest.

1 Like

clt says this is insulting to appy. They brought 85k to the Charlotte game

And per their message board they have sold out Kenan Stadium for their game against Chapel Thrill. I have never pulled for UNC-CHeat in a game before, and I would always pull for the non-P5 team, but I may make an exception here.

I root against the ACC in all games except when Davidson or App is playing them.

Me too

Not sure if this was posted yet or not.

“There are only a handful of schools out there that would enhance the brand of this league,” Aresco said. “I think you would all agree that the league’s quality, the league’s brand is really rising and has been for the last several years. I think our “P6” campaign has gotten some traction. We think that we’ve really done a lot of things to achieve that level and the last thing we need to do is water down the brand, take a school that doesn’t fit what we’re trying to do.”

We need to play and BEAT AAC teams in every sport as often as we can.

7 Likes

Aresco Update:

Original post: https://csnbbs.com/thread-878026-post-16432887.html#pid16432887

[quote=‘Tiger1983’ pid=‘16432887’ dateline=‘1573155144’]
Update from Aresco via Dan Tortora (Click Here)

1. unlikely to get a 2nd waiver…must push for legislation to stay at 11, will pursue if no one worthy is available

2. waiver was to buy time to research (for addition or pushing legislation)… really doesn’t want to add a poor team

3. tortora says he loves division and sad its gone…

• aresco said he loved divisions aswell, so did members… says “it might come back” , it was the preference
  1. “aac not looking, but alert”

2. says geography doesnt matter if its a football only addition

3. the vibe from the podcast is the AAC wants to go to 12 but it has to be a good team and they have to want to join, will not lobby…

Looks like unc-tweetsie is a shoo in now.