UNC Board of Governors visiting campus for first time in 40 years

Urban gives the connotation of diversity.

Chapel Hill isn’t Urban at all, its a college town. Calling that urban is like calling Boone or Cullowhee urban. NC State you may be right about.[/quote]
I am originally from Chapel Hill so I remember when it was a real college town. I get your point, but Boone and Cullowhee are not even close the the same thing. In the same way that Charlotte and Mecklenburg County almost equal the same thing, Chapel Hill is a part of the Triangle, and that is a big urban center.[/quote]

I gave this some more thought and you are probably right. Saying Chapel Hill is not urban at this point is probably a stretch, but I suspect we probably are calling them a college town to make a distinction. Raleigh still has me confused though.[/quote]

For me I ussually say take away the college and whats left? Take away App and Boone is a tiny tourist town. Take away UNC-Ch and Chapel Hill is a lazy southern town. Take away UNC Charlotte and Charlotte is still a large city with various industries. Same could be said for Raleigh.

clt says raleigh is the pits.

And please someone fix the spelling.

Did anything important come from this meeting?

clt bets that most of the BOG were pleased that UNCC Charlotte has such a beautiful campus.

Things I’ve seen on the table are:

[ul][li]$30/student/year security fee[/li]
[li]closing thinktanks ECU’s Center for Biodiversity, NCCU’s Institute for Civic Engagement, UNC-CH’s Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity[/li]
[li]talk about new UNC System president selection process,[/li]
[li]tuition increases[/li]
[li]our S&P bond rating will move down one mark due to bonds we want to issue[/li][/ul]

My understanding is that today (Thursday) was committee work, tomorrow full board will act on committee recommendations.

I skimmed through the meeting agendas at Board Meetings and Materials| UNC System, here’s some copy paste:

: The University of North Carolina at Charlotte requests that the Board issue special obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $79.8 million for the purpose of (1) the construction of a new residence hall, Residence Hall XIV, approved by the Board of Governors and authorized by the 2014 General Assembly, (2) renovations and improvements to aging infrastructure within core campus and information technology improvements, and (3) paying the costs incurred in connection with the issuance of the 2015 Bonds.

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte has requested authority to establish advance planning of the following projects. UNCC – Residence Dining Hall Renovation: The food service previously provided in the Residence Dining Hall (RDH) moved to the new South Village Dining Hall. This renovation will repurpose RDH, built in 1970, to provide administrative offices for Housing and Residence Life and food service catering functions to serve the campus. The project will include the replacement of the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, aesthetic improvements, and a repurposing of the interior for new Housing and Residence Life offices and a catering kitchen. This advance planning authorization will utilize $900,000. The project, estimated to cost $9,000,000, will be funded from housing and dining receipts. UNCC – Scott Hall: Scott Hall is a 500-bed high-rise residence facility built in 1969. Renovations are needed to update the mechanical, electrical, information technology, and plumbing systems. The student rooms and restrooms will be updated to modern standards. Window and roof replacements are included along with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) modifications to assist students, faculty, staff, and visitors within and around the building. This advance planning authorization will utilize $2,250,000. The project, estimated to cost $22,500,000, will be funded from housing receipts.

Situation: The University of North Carolina at Charlotte requests that the Board authorize amendments to previously approved agreements related to the rental of student housing facilities on the campus of UNCC that were constructed through a university related nonprofit company, The University of North Carolina at Charlotte Facilities Development Corporation, Incorporated. Background: UNC System campuses have constructed student housing facilities through university related nonprofit companies. In these cases, the nonprofit company issues the debt and enters into a lease agreement and use agreement with the UNC campus that establishes rental payments equal to the debt service (principal and interest) the Facilities Development Corporation must pay. Assessment: Due to the favorable interest rate environment, the debt issued by the UNCC Facilities Development Corporation to finance the construction of student housing facilities at UNCC can be refinanced to achieve savings. This necessitates amendments to the Use Agreement in order to lower the debt service and reduce the rental payments made by UNCC to the nonprofit company.

Students’ Athletics fee increases:
2015-16 +$26 (total $773)
2016-17 +$29 (total $802)

here’s proposed 2016-17 athletics fees:

808 ncat
806 asheville
802 charlotte
748 nccu
738 app
730 western
724 wilmington
717 greensboro
705 pembroke
703 eliz
696 ecu
694 w-s
668 fayette
279 ch
232 ncsu

health services fee increases:

2015-16 +$10 (total $224)
2016-17 +$5 (total $229)
System average is $270 for 2016-17 if you throw out Arts’ high of $857 and Pembroke’s low of $170.

Student Activity fee increases:

2015-16 +$17 (total $578)
2016-17 +$14 (total $592)

Education and Technology fee increases:

2015-16 +$46 (total $496)
2016-17 +$56 (total $552)

clt saspys the observer doesn’t know where the meetings are held: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article11218181.html

??? Not following.

Using the Rich for powerpoint

Tuition increases and protesters disrupt meetings
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article11334053.html

Looks like there’s been some protesting going on…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRxmZimqZMc#t=12

Do you have a list of everyone and where they received their degrees from? Would be interesting to see.

Education should be kept affordable by all means necessary, but it should not be free.

Do you have a list of everyone and where they received their degrees from? Would be interesting to see.[/quote]

http://www.northcarolina.edu/apps/bog/members.htm

A lot of lawyers on there. I might be you guys’ only hope.

[quote=“VA49er, post:31, topic:29433”]Looks like there’s been some protesting going on…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRxmZimqZMc#t=12[/quote] With the BOG wanting to close the Chapel Hill Poverty Center reportedly for political reasons, they may have had this meeting in Charlotte hoping to avoid these protests.

[quote=“VA49er, post:31, topic:29433”]Looks like there’s been some protesting going on…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRxmZimqZMc#t=12[/quote]

Does anyone know the justification for closing the centers? I don’t really care either way, but it doesn’t sound like it saved a significant amount of money.

Also, I found the comment about “right-sizing” interesting. Kind of seems like the system will begin to look at possibly closing or merging some of the schools. Fortunately, we are in a better position than pretty much anyone else in the system when it comes to long term sustainability. Tremendous growth, only UNC system school in the region, focus on STEM programs, tons of outside investment from major businesses, and in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. Also, we have done it all with very little per student funding.

40 years? So that’s 1975? I guess that mean’s we’ll make the Final 4 in two years.

[quote=“MikeNiner11, post:37, topic:29433”][quote=“VA49er, post:31, topic:29433”]Looks like there’s been some protesting going on…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRxmZimqZMc#t=12[/quote]

Does anyone know the justification for closing the centers? I don’t really care either way, but it doesn’t sound like it saved a significant amount of money.

Also, I found the comment about “right-sizing” interesting. Kind of seems like the system will begin to look at possibly closing or merging some of the schools. Fortunately, we are in a better position than pretty much anyone else in the system when it comes to long term sustainability. Tremendous growth, only UNC system school in the region, focus on STEM programs, tons of outside investment from major businesses, and in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. Also, we have done it all with very little per student funding.[/quote]

Where did you see the comments about right sizing the university? Didn’t see that in the observer article? Yes that is very interesting but I will believe it when I see it. I could see them possibly closing some individual programs down but can you really see them closing down an entire campus?? Can you imagine the unholy shot storm that would ensue if they proposed to close down any of the campuses? Talk about a hot potato. You could go through the list of schools and point out really powerful reasons for leaving each of them open. Sure you might say they could close down some of the really small campuses like FSU or pembroke but there are cultural reasons that will absolutely make that distasteful and a complete non starter.

If they absolutely were hell bent on it the big six with the Carnegie designation of doctoral research will be off the table. So will the HBCU and pembroke and the school of the arts. They would be looking at App, Asheville, Western, Wilmington. App would likely have too much support and western has one of the few engineering schools. Looks like Wilminton and Asheville.

Again I don’t see it happening. People would be up in arms. I think you might see department closures.

One thing is for certain.

We should be glad we got football when we did.

In this climate seems likely we could get the funding.

Although is this go round much different than previous years? Seems a bit different with the closures of those centers.

Free education means “I don’t want to pay for it, I want you to pay for my education for me.” A college education in the UNC System is a bargain compared to most other states.