UNC-CH cancel Christmas trees!!

[QUOTE=macgyver07;369525]I might be mistaken, and I see there are some staunch advocates of a non-Christian tree, but isn’t there Christian symbolism in the Christmas tree?[/QUOTE]

No. It is a pagan symbol, and symbolizes winter. (It is forever green – even in winter, which is the root of the pagan celebration.)

There is no more Christian symbolism in the tree than there is in red, white, and blue representing the United States.

(Many, many countries have those three colors on their flags.)

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;369533]No. It is a pagan symbol, and symbolizes winter. (It is forever green – even in winter, which is the root of the pagan celebration.)

There is no more Christian symbolism in the tree than there is in red, white, and blue representing the United States.

(Many, many countries have those three colors on their flags.)[/QUOTE]

Most traditions associated with Christmas have lost their true meaning anyway, it all just boils down to celebration of family and friends and good fortune IMO. So many people are so focused on the details the can’t see the forest for the trees (pun intended). Why don’t we have a national moan and bitch day, that is definately becoming an american tradition.

Why don't we have a national moan and bitch day, that is definately becoming an american tradition.
Noooo!!! I want it to be national bitch and moan day! ;) Seriously, good idea. I'm just not sure we could consolidate the current 365 day bitch and moan schedule into one glorious day of special interest bull****.
Why don't we have a national moan and bitch day, that is definately becoming an american tradition.

I thought that is everyday, and ramps up especially on other major holidays.

[QUOTE=macgyver07;369525]I might be mistaken, and I see there are some staunch advocates of a non-Christian tree, but isn’t there Christian symbolism in the Christmas tree?[/QUOTE]

The Star/Angel that is put on top is a very, very Christian aspect of the tree.

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;369533]No. It is a pagan symbol, and symbolizes winter. (It is forever green – even in winter, which is the root of the pagan celebration.)

If you wanna get right down to it, December 25th itself is a pagan holiday. It’s not Christs actual birthdate - Christian scholars will tell you he was born around August-September, IIRC. The Church, when it was far less pervasive and powerful, co-opted the date of the pagan winter’s holiday.

In any case, though it appears I’m just piling on, the tree banning is f’ing retarded. I hope we never do anything that dumb around here.

What’re they gonna ban next? The Festivus pole??? :ticked:

[QUOTE=Roasty;369545]The Star/Angel that is put on top is a very, very Christian aspect of the tree.[/QUOTE]

That could be any angel, hell’s angels, the blue angels, charlie’s angel. I’m sure there is an agnostic star or two out there.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;369556]If you wanna get right down to it, December 25th itself is a pagan holiday. It’s not Christs actual birthdate - Christian scholars will tell you he was born around August-September, IIRC. The Church, when it was far less pervasive and powerful, co-opted the date of the pagan winter’s holiday.

In any case, though it appears I’m just piling on, the tree banning is f’ing retarded. I hope we never do anything that dumb around here.

What’re they gonna ban next? The Festivus pole??? :ticked:[/QUOTE]

Oh noes, what about the airing of grievances and feats of strength?

If you wanna get right down to it, December 25th itself is a pagan holiday. It's not Christs actual birthdate - Christian scholars will tell you he was born around August-September, IIRC. The Church, when it was far less pervasive and powerful, co-opted the date of the pagan winter's holiday.

What’re they gonna ban next? The Festivus pole??? :ticked:

if they ban jack-o-lanterns, you’re screwed

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;369533]

Thank you for that.

[QUOTE=macgyver07;369564]Thank you for that.[/QUOTE]

Any time.

This semester, I have a professor with no common sense and I have to clarify everything to the level of an 8th grade mind for him. His writing style has infected my regular writing style.