UNC CHARLOTTE OWNED ONCE AGAIN

This ‘culinary university’ Johnson & Wales will have how many students? Maybe a 100 or 200? For $10M, that’s a $50k subsidy from the state per student. Wow! What a complete boondoggle! That tops the TPC golf course that NC State wanted at their ‘graduate’ center.

Here’s a culinary university for you-> Go work in a kitchen at a resturant -> I’m sure they’d be happy to train you given the turnover.

PS: I know their web site says 2,000 students-> But how many FTS’s? Yeah, bored housewives taking a cooking class does not make a college.

[QUOTE=jfickett;323453]no, but they published the story, so they are automatically at fault for us getting lower funding.[/QUOTE] I hope you don’t support their degrading attacks on us. We would be in much better shape if they spent as much time worrying about our funding as they do trying to tell the public we’re not worthy.

no, but they published the story, so they are automatically at fault for us getting lower funding.

So are you saying Washburn’s editorial was investigative, informative, unbiased and accurate?

“House budget writers said they based university funding on average growth over the past several years”

This quote just bugs the crap out of me. Charlotte is the fastest growing university in the state, and they think that that means less money for the university? Even the article stated that we are adding 750+ more students this fall, with more probably to come. I just don’t understand how the House justifies their appropriations when they said the growth of the university justifies the amount given.

This news is brutally honest. Chancellor Dubois aka CHP is a terrible leader.
Don’t you think CHP has a major role in getting funding for our University.
Oh yes, he has a major role. I’m getting sick thinking about this news. I know
Woodward didn’t strike gold every legislative session, but it looks like CHP
struck quicksand. You think we get football now, since academics just took
a large hit. Hmmmm.

I hope you don't support their degrading attacks on us. We would be in much better shape if they spent as much time worrying about our funding as they do trying to tell the public we're not worthy.
you won't convince him how wicked pieces of the Observer are
This news is brutally honest. Chancellor Dubois aka CHP is a terrible leader. Don't you think CHP has a major role in getting funding for our University. Oh yes, he has a major role. I'm getting sick thinking about this news. I know Woodward didn't strike gold every legislative session, but it looks like CHP struck quicksand. You think we get football now, since academics just took a large hit. Hmmmm.

i can’t and won’t defend dubois on almost anything else, but on this it really isn’t his fault. i know he personally reached out to members and got the charlotte chamber and delegation involved. in fact, it was considered a top priority for the charlotte chamber. its just a tight budget year. my understanding is that the formula staff used to determine how much of an increase we got was used on all the rest of the universities who are experiencing enrollment growth and requesting more funds. the $5 million capital request still has a shot in the senate, but again funds are tight and we’re competing against 15 other public universities (not including johnson & wales) asking for large projects.

It’s not that we’re one of the other Universities, Press. The Charlotte administration was in tight with Jim Black and while that’s not totally a bad thing it might have something to do with how the funding is going this year. We don’t have a strong ally and others are shying away at this time.

Still… Charlotte needs the money and some of the Mecklenburg and surrounding counties legislators need to address it before it’s too late.

I hope you don't support their degrading attacks on us. We would be in much better shape if they spent as much time worrying about our funding as they do trying to tell the public we're not worthy.

i was being sarcastic.

So are you saying Washburn's editorial was investigative, informative, unbiased and accurate?

is that what it looks like i said? nope, thats not what i’m saying at all. washburn had no business writing the editorial that he did, being that it is not his area of expertise, nor did he properly research and analyze in his commentary. i was merely making a funny.

you won't convince him how wicked pieces of the Observer are

i havent been around long enough to understand or have a valid point yet. take everything i say with a grain of salt, or choose to ignore it. you can start to take my posts seriously in 3-5 years.

is that what it looks like i said? nope, thats not what i'm saying at all. washburn had no business writing the editorial that he did, being that it is not his area of expertise, nor did he properly research and analyze in his commentary. i was merely making a funny.

You criticized people for being critical of the Observer because they didn’t think it was investigative, informative, unbiased and accurate. You criticized people for thinking the same thing you were thinking.

You criticized people for being critical of the Observer because they didn't think it was investigative, informative, unbiased and accurate. You criticized people for thinking the same thing you were thinking.

please forgive me for being sarcastic…i know its something a lot of people on this board are not familiar with…

i was being sarcastic.

is that what it looks like i said? nope, thats not what i’m saying at all. washburn had no business writing the editorial that he did, being that it is not his area of expertise, nor did he properly research and analyze in his commentary. i was merely making a funny.

i havent been around long enough to understand or have a valid point yet. take everything i say with a grain of salt, or choose to ignore it. you can start to take my posts seriously in 3-5 years.

longevity as a Niner does not equat to valid points…there are several long time posters who are clueless

have valid points at any time, and you will validate yourself…but your nippy comments about how much you think you know make you look in love with yourself :smile:

You criticized people for being critical of the Observer because they didn't think it was investigative, informative, unbiased and accurate. You criticized people for thinking the same thing you were thinking.
yep, sure did :doh:

When is the Senate debate? We need to all ask off for that day, & ride up to Raleigh, & sit in the chambers. Maybe even one of us who is an eloquent speaker could ask their state senator to let them speak. Is anyone hear good at speaking to a crowd?

When is the Senate debate? We need to all ask off for that day, & ride up to Raleigh, & sit in the chambers. Maybe even one of us who is an eloquent speaker could ask their state senator to let them speak. Is anyone hear good at speaking to a crowd?

before you make the trip to raleigh, call the charlotte delegation (clodfelter, graham, hoyle, bingham - forget goodall leadership won’t do anything for him) and basnight. push for the large capital project. the increase in per student funding is a reach this late in the process. they won’t increase it for one and not all of the others who are experiencing growth - so don’t waste your time or theirs. ask for the $5 mil for the engineering program and call it an “investment.” that’s the buzz word this year. see what they tell you and if they say they are trying but they don’t think it will happen, ask them what they think we should do.

[QUOTE=49erPress;323564]before you make the trip to raleigh, call the charlotte delegation (clodfelter, graham, hoyle, bingham - forget goodall leadership won’t do anything for him) and basnight. push for the large capital project. the increase in per student funding is a reach this late in the process. they won’t increase it for one and not all of the others who are experiencing growth - so don’t waste your time or theirs. ask for the $5 mil for the engineering program and call it an “investment.” that’s the buzz word this year. see what they tell you and if they say they are trying but they don’t think it will happen, ask them what they think we should do.[/QUOTE]

clt says the biggest issue is that we need niners in nc government. picture this: you ( a niner) are a nc rep from Wilmington and they are voting on a bill that would give 50m to charlotte and ncsu for engineering. while it prob isnt best for Wilmington and your constituents, you would be ok bc it is helping your alma mater.

this is how the blue fairys get so much taxpayer money. we need to play the game rather than bitching about it.

criticizing washburn is not the same as criticizing persinger. just like criticizing persinger is not the same as criticizing Jim Utter. or utter and persinger or utter and washburn or sorensen. my criticism was of washburn in my post which replied to yours. and i dont believe that persinger had the final say on whether or not washburn’s article was published, correct me if i’m wrong but i dont think it was in the sports section. yes, i know, persinger is the devil for a billion other reasons, dont tell me.

[QUOTE=cltniners;323568]clt says the biggest issue is that we need niners in nc government. picture this: you ( a niner) are a nc rep from Wilmington and they are voting on a bill that would give 50m to charlotte and ncsu for engineering. while it prob isnt best for Wilmington and your constituents, you would be ok bc it is helping your alma mater.

this is how the blue fairys get so much taxpayer money. we need to play the game rather than bitching about it.[/QUOTE]

We should get a law school…that might help. Dammit, that won’t happen either!

We should get a law school...that might help. Dammit, that won't happen either!

would be absolutely awesome though, then i’d never have to leave!

C49er, there’s already a law school in Charlotte. We fell asleep at that wheel, for
sure.