UNC-Elizabeth City?

Stumbled across this article yesterday and thought some of you might find it interesting considering that they’re wanting to do the exact opposite as us by [I]adding[/I] the UNC to their name.

[URL]http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/4148185[/URL]

Pembroke did the same a few years back.

Pembroke did the same a few years back.

Yeah, the article mentions that:

The legislator told the board that he co-sponsored a bill 13 years ago to change the name of Pembroke State University to the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Owens said that since then, the university's student population has more than doubled. Owens said that during the same period, Elizabeth City's student population has increased by 50 percent.
Trustee Norman Mebane Jr. said he wanted to see a study of effects of the name change at UNC-Pembroke. Owens said he wanted the university to study a name change and not ask for it if trustees think it would hurt.

Wesleyn College in Rocky Mt tried to do the same thing either last year or earlier this year. They were denied. They just go by North Carolina Wesleyn College now.

This probably doesn’t help the name change. I wish there was an article about a school doing the opposite.

NC State famously fought against being named UNC Raleigh when a lot of the other schools were going down that road. And NCSU is the largest school in the state!

I think this was during the 60’s? I can ask my dad, he was a student @ NCSU at the time. I’m sure there are plenty of N&O and Technician articles on it from the time.

Comparing UNC Pembroke and EC State to our school is laughable at best.

Let’s see…which city has brand equity by itself…Pembroke, Elizabeth City, or Charlotte?

Losing the UNC will help us succeed, adding it to theirs may help.

Can’t we just sell them our UNC?

[B]For Sale- UNC @, $149,149.49[/B]
Low Mileage, 1 owner, non smoker. Owner maintained excellent shape despite horrible factory warranty and service. If you like being treated like a 2nd class pile of shiit, this is the prefix for you!
Serious offers only, contact CHP @ 800-Want UNC

Comparing UNC Pembroke and EC State to our school is laughable at best.

Let’s see…which city has brand equity by itself…Pembroke, Elizabeth City, or Charlotte?

Losing the UNC will help us succeed, adding it to theirs may help.

I wasn’t really trying to compare us to UNCP and EC. Obviously there’s no contest there as to which one of us could stand on our own without the UNC. Just thought this was interesting. I do, however, like the idea of selling the UNC to them. :lmao:

Can't we just sell them our UNC?

For Sale- UNC @, $149,149.49
Low Mileage, 1 owner, non smoker. Owner maintained excellent shape despite horrible factory warranty and service. If you like being treated like a 2nd class pile of shiit, this is the prefix for you!
Serious offers only, contact CHP @ 800-Want UNC

lmao

don’t forget Phil Dubois’ email to me stating how NC School of the Arts switched to UNC-School of the Arts

:vomit:

essentially you have the UNC-wanna bes and the others who want to stand on their own…essentially Charlotte, ECU, App, NCSU

NC State famously fought against being named UNC Raleigh when a lot of the other schools were going down that road. And NCSU is the largest school in the state!

I think this was during the 60’s? I can ask my dad, he was a student @ NCSU at the time. I’m sure there are plenty of N&O and Technician articles on it from the time.

From everybody’s favorite source for information, wikipedia:

In 1962, administrators tried to change [I]State College[/I] to [I]North Carolina State University,[/I] but Governor [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Sanford][COLOR=#002bb8]Terry Sanford[/COLOR][/URL] and other [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina][COLOR=#002bb8]UNC system officials[/COLOR][/URL] proposed [I]The University of North Carolina at Raleigh[/I] for consistency. Faculty, students and alumni immediately launched a bitter opposition campaign, [B]arguing that the name would cause the university to lose its identity and to appear to be a branch of the [/B][URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina_at_Chapel_Hill][COLOR=#002bb8][B]University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill[/B][/COLOR][/URL][B].[/B] The name was never adopted. Instead the General Assembly changed the name to [I]North Carolina State of the University of North Carolina at Raleigh[/I] in 1963. Not satisfied, protest and letter writing campaigns continued until 1965 when the university received the present name [I]North Carolina State University at Raleigh[/I]. Convention ignores the "at Raleigh" part of the name, but it is still in the official name.

BTW, I never knew the official name includes “at Raleigh”.

actually nc wesleyan is different. they are a private college that the UNC system was looking to acquire, which didnt happen.

[QUOTE=s9er;370745]Can’t we just sell them our UNC?

[B]For Sale- UNC @, $149,149.49[/B]
Serious offers only, contact CHP @ 800-Want UNC[/QUOTE]

Awesome. :clap::clap::clap:

Sell them the ****in’ hyphen too.

Awesome. :clap::clap::clap:

Sell them the ****in’ hyphen too.

The hyphen was sold a while ago…the owner just hasn’t picked it up yet.

[QUOTE=ApexNiner;370771]actually nc wesleyan is different. they are a private college that the UNC system was looking to acquire, which didnt happen.[/QUOTE]

Why would the UNC system look to acquire that school and then vote not to acquire it?

[QUOTE=J Felt;370742]Comparing UNC Pembroke and EC State to our school is laughable at best.

Losing the UNC will help us succeed, adding it to theirs may help.[/QUOTE]

QFT

The ‘UNC’ helped us out back in the day when we were where Pembroke and EC State are now. We are in a totally different situation now.

I can’t believe Phil is comparing our University to the school of the arts. I hope he thinks higher of us than that.

[QUOTE=VA49er;370785]Why would the UNC system look to acquire that school and then vote not to acquire it?[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was the other way around. Wesleyan wanted to be taken in by the UNC system.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;370775]Awesome. :clap::clap::clap:

Sell them the ****in’ hyphen too.[/QUOTE]

“By the UNC, get the hyphen for FREE!!”

From everybody's favorite source for information, wikipedia:

BTW, I never knew the official name includes “at Raleigh”.

The statutory name includes “at Raleigh,” but the university has never acknowledged it, even leaving off the diplomas.