UNCC Uptown

I’m pretty fired up about this especially if it turns out as well as the Johnson & Wales area down by Gateway.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/11429621.htm

Quick question, what is “First Ward”?? I’ve always heard that term, but could never really locate where in CLT it is.

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 10:23 AM [b] Quick question, what is "First Ward"?? I've always heard that term, but could never really locate where in CLT it is. [/b]
Fsquid, First, Second, Third, and Fourth Wards are the historical political districts of Charlotte. If you were to stand at the main intersection in uptown Charlotte - Tryon at Trade streets - each corner would be a beginning boundary of the four respective areas and stretch about 5-6 blocks. First Ward includes the Bank of America Corporate Center, the Blementhal Performing Arts Center, the Main Library, the Hearst Tower, the new Charlotte Arena, the Levine Museum of the New South, etc.

My office is located on Trade Street in the Third Ward area, which includes Bank of America Stadium, Johnson & Wales University, and so on.

thanks, so all the wards are in uptown, correct?

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 10:37 AM [b] thanks, so all the wards are in uptown, correct? [/b]
That's correct.

See, I have to relearn all this stuff before I move back! Selwyn turns into Providence that turns into 3rd and then forks over to 4th when you get uptown!

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Apr 20 2005, 10:24 AM [b] See, I have to relearn all this stuff before I move back! Selwyn turns into Providence that turns into 3rd and then forks over to 4th when you get uptown! [/b]
Actually, it's Selwyn to Queens to Providence to 3rd to 4th! Geez!!! :P

really? I thought Queens streets just ran in a circle around that neighborhood.

[i]Originally posted by run49er+Apr 20 2005, 10:54 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Apr 20 2005, 10:54 AM)

What about Tyvola turns into Fairview which turns into Sardis which turns into Rama which turns into Idlewild?

I’ve got another one:

Runnymeade turns into Woodlawn that turns into Billy Graham that turns into Mulberry Church.

and it doesnt help that there are about eleven Queens Roads

or a billion sharon roads, drives, amitys, etc.

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Apr 20 2005, 12:07 PM [b] or a billion sharon roads, drives, amitys, etc. [/b]
haha yeah, i didnt think of that one. i live off of sharon amity (when im not living on campus), and i know how ppl who arent used to it get confused by it

I’m at the corner of queens and…queens?

I’m at the corner of Mallard Creek and Mallard Creek? (well, at least one of those is a church).

49/29 is Tryon but it is also Graham street.

I don’t miss the changing streets in Charlotte, but since I moved to Atlanta, my confusion has been with the no less than 55 streets beginning with Peachtree.

Not easy to decipher…

Any thoughts on a new baseball stadium near uptown, doesn’t look like it will actually be uptown.

[i]Originally posted by NCFlyer[/i]@Apr 20 2005, 02:03 PM [b] Any thoughts on a new baseball stadium near uptown, doesn't look like it will actually be uptown. [/b]
Not sure what's going to happen there. The Board of County Commissioners still seem interested in doing something, but not sure what. I just know the stadium won't be right outside my office door in Third Ward, since the County Commission is committed to putting an uptown park there.

His Excellency the Mayor is kissing up to NASCAR with the proposed Hall of Fame proposal in Second Ward right now, so the baseball stadium isn’t even on his radar screen. Still, there are plenty of parking lots in uptown that would be perfect sites. As always, money is THE issue.

The former GM of the Knights, Tim Newman, is now the CEO of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority and I know a stadium is a priority of his. Of course, in his position, so is the NASCAR proposal. Film at 11…

the money that Charlotte would make off an uptown baseball stadium should be enough. The Memphis one was built with private money and we are still averaging 12k a game for the 5th straight season. Place holds around 16k.

[i]Originally posted by run49er+Apr 20 2005, 04:03 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Apr 20 2005, 04:03 PM)