UNCG Fans

Yea, I can believe that. I transfered in to UNCG after one year at NCSU. By the time I got there I had very few electives to take. Since I was a business major, I spent most of my time over in the Bryan School (business school). Almost everyone I had knew or had classes with went to the basketball games.

Honestly, weā€™re decades behind Charlotte as far as building up a real fan base. That has to start with parents taking their kids to games there and having there kids grow up as UNCG fans (something that has been happening at Charlotte for a while). Right now there are still too many UNCG students that like UNCG but would still say their favorite team is school.

BTW, I went to NCSU. So I like NCSU. My favorite school is the one that I earned my degree from though. Wish some of my fellow alumni thought the same way.

In 1993, I helped start the student organization at UNCG. We had 11 at the first meeting. ELEVEN. Now the Blue Crew has over 1100.

Keep in mind UNCG is the third oldest institution in the system and one of only two with Golden Chain and one of the few doctoral granting Universities in the system. Iā€™m hoping the new chancellor up there will start to make the University act like it.

I wish we had played the Niners last year. We beat Georgia Tech at Tech in the opener. We probably could have hung an L on you guys too.

I wish we had played the Niners last year. We beat Georgia Tech at Tech in the opener. We probably could have hung an L on you guys too.
Haven't you heard? We beat Davidson, your conference champions last year (and almost every other year).......... you know, the team whose fans think Curry is the best player ever to play college basketball.
In 1993, I helped start the student organization at UNCG. We had 11 at the first meeting. ELEVEN. Now the Blue Crew has over 1100.

Keep in mind UNCG is the third oldest institution in the system and one of only two with Golden Chain and one of the few doctoral granting Universities in the system. Iā€™m hoping the new chancellor up there will start to make the University act like it.

I respect that enough and arenā€™t going to hate on you. You wouldnā€™t have beat us last year though :o

[QUOTE=uncgfan;360506]In 1993, I helped start the student organization at UNCG. We had 11 at the first meeting. ELEVEN. Now the Blue Crew has over 1100.

I wish we had played the Niners last year. We beat Georgia Tech at Tech in the opener. We probably could have hung an L on you guys too.[/QUOTE]

Golden chain? I havenā€™t even heard of it until I looked it up. Doesnā€™t sound all that impressive to me. Every school has an honor society of some sort like that. Phi Beta Kappa has been around for 200 years, and itā€™s harder to get into.

And Fayettville State is older than UNCG.

And six universities in the system grant doctoral degrees.

As far as Greensboro itself goes ... I've lived all over the state and I always tell people how cool G'boro is especially with the new downtown. My hometown of Winston is trying hard to replicate it.
It's a bit scary at night around Lee street :o

uncgfan, thanks for stopping by. Good luck this season.

uncgfan, thanks for stopping by. Good luck this season.

Thanks,

Itā€™s going to be a long year I think.

Thanks,

Itā€™s going to be a long year I think.

I hope you guys can find it in you to stick it to NC State. Iā€™m sick of their fans excusing their recent bad seasons for being a member of the ACC.

4 girls behind me in the line for tickets were UNCG students. One said to me ā€œtickets are 10 bucks right?ā€ I said ā€œnah, i think that is for kids, cheapest is $15ā€. They then talked about how that was a ripoff [U]and left.[/U]

true story.

Golden chain? I haven't even heard of it until I looked it up. Doesn't sound all that impressive to me. Every school has an honor society of some sort like that. Phi Beta Kappa has been around for 200 years, and it's harder to get into.

And Fayettville State is older than UNCG.

And six universities in the system grant doctoral degrees.

I mistyped, we were the third university in the triad that formed the basis for the UNC System. Iā€™m sure that others existed in some format a bit earlier than UNCG.

During the Depression, the North Carolina General Assembly searched for cost savings within state government. Towards this effort in 1931, it redefined the University of North Carolina, which at the time referred exclusively to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, using it for the name of the entire University of North Carolina system. The new Consolidated University of North Carolina was created to include the existing campuses of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. The three campuses came under the leadership of just one board and one president. By 1969, three additional campuses had joined the Consolidated University through legislative action: the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, the University of North Carolina at Asheville, and the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.

Thus, we were a founding member of the system. UNCG also has Phi Beta Kappa, but the point of my post is that our new Chancellor should value and use those factors as differentiators.

Instead of putting us dead in the middle of the pack with everyone else. We had a good Chancellor in the mid-90s; and he brought us into Division I in athletics, and improved the selectivity of the University. The last Chancellor didnā€™t care very much for competitive entry into the University; she didnā€™t see it as a priority.

So much for the history lesson. Enjoy the rest of your season, and good luck.

[B] Q: UNC-Charlotte is very aggressively pursuing a football program.[/B]

A: Part of what we need to do at UNCG is build our fan base and enhance fund-raising related to athletics. I think the way to do that is to focus on where we already are invested. Weā€™re already invested in menā€™s and womenā€™s basketball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, softball, wrestling.

Since weā€™re in North Carolina and since weā€™re in Greensboro and given the fact that the coliseum is right down the street, my goal over the next several years is to develop a closer relationship with the coliseum and particularly to schedule more of our menā€™s basketball games in the coliseum, to use that as a platform to build our fan base and enhance our fund-raising for athletics.

Interview is from Nov 2.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/10/31/article/a_conversation_with_uncg_chancellor_linda_brady