University City re-branding

[quote=“919R, post:20, topic:27831”]I still say the best (and easiest) thing the school can do is get permission to sell retail land for shops and small restaurants/bars, etc. on our side of John Kirk at or near 49. Perhaps starting along the corner at that intersection. Shops right up to the sidewalk with seating on the back side (campus side, between the shops and the parking decks over there). That land will probably go unused by the school otherwise and this could actually make a little money and give campus at least a taste of a small “downtown district”.[/quote]I agree. It is really the only road that makes sense for any kind of intimate downtown feel.

Agreed (other than complete makeover of University Place). Would the University have to go through the state to sell or do ground leases for that land?

Agreed (other than complete makeover of University Place). Would the University have to go through the state to sell or do ground leases for that land?[/quote]
They have to get permission from BOG to acquire, sell, lease real property. There was one iteration of the Master Plan that had renderings like you describe, about 4-5 years ago, so at least the thought has crossed people’s minds. South Village was also talked about having retail on the lower floor and apartments above.

If the retail is just more chain stores, it wont matter.

I was thinking more “mom & pop” type stores (ie; college gear/sporting goods, bar/restaurant, candy shop, etc). The only roadblock I could think of for these is the on-campus stores (school owned–bookstore, etc) being against it.

I was thinking more “mom & pop” type stores (ie; college gear/sporting goods, bar/restaurant, candy shop, etc). The only roadblock I could think of for these is the on-campus stores (school owned–bookstore, etc) being against it.[/quote]The problem is that new retail space is very expensive, so mom and pop type places are usually priced out.

It is very hard for small businesses to start up in new retail space where rent prices can be significantly higher than you find it older parts of the city (where being successful is often harder due to lower incomes)

I was thinking more “mom & pop” type stores (ie; college gear/sporting goods, bar/restaurant, candy shop, etc). The only roadblock I could think of for these is the on-campus stores (school owned–bookstore, etc) being against it.[/quote]The problem is that new retail space is very expensive, so mom and pop type places are usually priced out.

It is very hard for small businesses to start up in new retail space where rent prices can be significantly higher than you find it older parts of the city (where being successful is often harder due to lower incomes)[/quote]

Exactly and in order to get construction financing often you need to pre-lease some of the space first and credit tenants are looked upon more favorably. I dislike chains, trust me. However, if anything new were to be built its going to include the Chipolte’s, Starbucks, Pinkberry’s of the world. Where the mom and pops could end up is in the existing section of University Place on the side closer to campus (around Boardwalk Billy’s.

It is very hard for small businesses to start up in new retail space where rent prices can be significantly higher than you find it older parts of the city (where being successful is often harder due to lower incomes)[/quote]

Exactly and in order to get construction financing often you need to pre-lease some of the space first and credit tenants are looked upon more favorably. I dislike chains, trust me. However, if anything new were to be built its going to include the Chipolte’s, Starbucks, Pinkberry’s of the world. Where the mom and pops could end up is in the existing section of University Place on the side closer to campus (around Boardwalk Billy’s.[/quote]I’ve looked at prices in University Place and they’re crazy expensive tool. Maybe that will change with more competition and extended vacancies, but its not a cheap spot either.

This is all true.

UCity lost another business. Smokey Bones has closed.

surprised they stayed open as long as they did.

When they leveled the old Panda Express/Nona’s Bakery and Honeybaked Ham/Papa John’s buildings, they should’ve kept going with knocking stuff down.

Wine Vault (they have a healthy selection of beer for those who may not have known) and Ciro’s Italian are 2 of the few reasons to visit that whole area.

Need to level most of it and start over.

University City is a joke. The University area planning board (don’t remember what the organization is actually called) has recently signed off on allowing the land around Ikea that was slated for mixed-use residential to be rezoned to be…an auto-mall with 5 car dealerships…right at a light rail stop.

The guy that wants to build the auto-mall is the guy that leads the zoning board.

The whole organization in charge of planning UCity growth is a sham. Light rail isn’t going to change a damn thing. It’ll just give drunk students an easier way to get back to UCity.

surprised they stayed open as long as they did.

When they leveled the old Panda Express/Nona’s Bakery and Honeybaked Ham/Papa John’s buildings, they should’ve kept going with knocking stuff down.

Wine Vault (they have a healthy selection of beer for those who may not have known) and Ciro’s Italian are 2 of the few reasons to visit that whole area.

Need to level most of it and start over.[/quote]

Wine Vault is an alum… it’s pretty impressive, not just a store but has a large underground cellar that stores wine in individual lockers. Very unique, adding beer too.

University City Master Plan:

http://universitycityclt.org/places/future-developments/univ_city_area_plan.pdf

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:34, topic:27831”]University City Master Plan:

http://universitycityclt.org/places/future-developments/univ_city_area_plan.pdf[/quote]
They have already deviated from that plan.

The area of Belgate (Ikea) that was supposed to have residential was recently rezoned to allow for 5 car dealerships.

The guy who proposed the rezoning: the head of the UCity planning board.

UCity is a joke and this just further re-enforces my opinion that it will always be a joke.

Plans are worthless if you are never going to enforce any of the zoning plans.

[quote=“Niner National, post:35, topic:27831”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:34, topic:27831”]University City Master Plan:

http://universitycityclt.org/places/future-developments/univ_city_area_plan.pdf[/quote]
They have already deviated from that plan.

The area of Belgate (Ikea) that was supposed to have residential was recently rezoned to allow for 5 car dealerships.

The guy who proposed the rezoning: the head of the UCity planning board.

UCity is a joke and this just further re-enforces my opinion that it will always be a joke.

Plans are worthless if you are never going to enforce any of the zoning plans.[/quote]

Is this the person that made the proposal, [font=Perpetua][size=11pt]George Maloomian ? [/size][/font]
[font=Perpetua][/size][size=11pt][/size][/font]
[font=Perpetua][/size][size=11pt]Its a shame that as much that has gone wrong in the development around UNC Charlotte that more nonsence is being allowed. This is where the Universty needs to step up and be vocal… [/size][/font]

[/size][size=1pt][font=Perpetua]
[/font][/size][size=11pt]

Maloomian is the guy developing the auto mall according to Mary Newsome (a development blogger for the Observer).

Greed is good,[font=Tahoma][size=78%]Maloomian! I dont mind whats going on at IKEA, as long as the development 1/4 mile of the university improves.[/size][/font]

Greed is good,[font=Tahoma][size=78%]Maloomian! I dont mind whats going on at IKEA, as long as the development 1/4 mile of the university improves.[/size][/font][/quote]

Same here. Actually, I prefer no new cheap housing anywhere around there, unless it is specified to be reserved for students.

Just remembered: drove by there a couple of days ago and they were doing some sort of construction inside, big dumpsters out front. Saw a sign on one side of the building, “Jimmy’s Place” or something like that, leading me to think it’s going to be basically the same bar/restaurant concept there.